WW Build.......Finished at 6799g!!!!!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

The Bear

by The Bear

Hi, I posted this in the gallery as part of my very small bike collection but decided to add it here to get suggestions/recommendations that may help.

"My latest project is a 1990/91 Klein Attitude, 20" in Team USA colours. I have had this frameset for a few years but have not really had the enthusiasm to build it up as it was always going to be a lightweight project in a bit of a competition with a friend. Well I had enough of looking at it in the shed and decided to get it ready for the summer.

Current spec is:

Klein Attitude frame/forks/MC1 bar-stem combo
Soul-Kozak/DT Revo/Sun UFO wheels (1267g)
Middleburn RS-1 crank TA Syrius 34t (single speed) (434g)
ActionTec Ti BB Axle inc. Extralite Alu crank bolts (182g)
KMC X9SL chain (212g)
KCNC 13/14t cog (34g inc. spacers, lockring)
Control Tech Light Race skewers, Ti seatbolt (29g,10g)
Maxxix Maxxlite 310 tyres, Flyweght tubes (304/311g,221g/pr)
Exustar flat pedals (199g)
KCNC Ti Pro seatpost Selle Italia SLR seat (137g+126g)
KCNC V-Brakes Goodridge cables (levers 52g)
Titec pork rind grips (22g)

I have the frame weight written down somewhere (~1750g) and using this, the known weights (in brackets) of bits I have and from the listings here it currently adds up to 6670g but it needs painting!! Hopefully the paint will not be too heavy but I have room for improvement as the pedals can use Ti axles and the seat has be retrimmed in thick foam and cloth which can come off. Also the brake cables could be upgraded but I like the look of the Goodridge ones!! if all else fails where's the Scott Scale frame I had lying around!! "

Any comments? Obviously the frame could be a lot lighter and I guess that will eventually be replaced (especially considering the price they fetch these days). Some parts have been fettled to a degree and some are factory seconds/second hand so cost hasn't been to scary. Only the KCNC brakes really hurting financially but couldn't see any alternatives.

The Bear
Attachments
DSC04340.JPG
DSC04344.JPG
DSC04351.JPG
DSC04363.JPG
DSC04305.JPG
Last edited by The Bear on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Bear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

The Bear

by The Bear

Hi, I am using a road (130mm) rear hub and have made spacers to fill the gap - there is still enough axle in the dropout. These spacers are oval with the axle nearer one end than the other. I have worked out the position of the axle to tension the chain in both of the two gears and I just flip the spacers over depending which gear I want to use.
Attachments
DSC04352.JPG
The Bear

The Bear

by The Bear

She's finished. I got the frame back today and managed to build it in a couple of hours. Took it to show some guys at my LBS and they put it on their scales....15.00lbs! So I took it home and shortened the rear brake cable outer as it had a rather large loop at the front and removed 5g so she now weighs 6.799kg :lol:
Attachments
DSC04414r.jpg
DSC04421r.jpg
DSC04417r.jpg
DSC04416r.jpg
DSC04415r.jpg
The Bear

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Bear, that bike looks sweet as candy! Literally!
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Shamus

by Shamus

Thats nice... 8)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Shamus - I wonder if you like it because you have something like FIVE of them... :lol:
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

TheRedMantra

by TheRedMantra

How did you route the cable to the rear brake? Can you post pictures?

DMF

by DMF

Wow! Love that you went with an "original" paintwork instead of trying something new, and oldtime middleburns just tops it off perfectly, really a class-act ride! :)

The Bear

by The Bear

How did you route the cable to the rear brake? Can you post pictures?

A previous owner had opened out the hole at the rear of the top tube to take an outer cable, albeit rather badly. I wasn't going to bother with canti's so I just cleaned it up and opened out the front hole so i could run outer cable from lever to V-brake. Is the only way to make the V-brakes effective......short of more welding :shock:

I can take pictures if you cannot imagine how this looks!!!!!?

I took the front and rear cable hangars off as these were redundant and I think it looks a lot slicker for it, there's just one less original frameset out there now!!
The Bear

FreaK

by FreaK

i would like to see how that looks
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

The Bear

by The Bear

Some pics of the brake cable run......
Attachments
DSC04427r.jpg
DSC04419r.jpg
The Bear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓