Parlez vous Parlee

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@khdroberts - stop putting tempting thoughts into my head.
If I swap my SRAM Red brakes for EE Brakes I could drop weight close to 6 kg.
Just had Challenge Criterium Seta Tubulars arrive in the post.
On Sat I received Rotor Q Rings, KMC DLC black and red chain, Lizard Skins DSP tape. As soon as the Edge post and stem arrive it's time to swap stuff over.
Specialized Romin saddle already on. Only took delivery on Dec 1 and already made quite a few changes. Man WW's is killing my bank balance.
khd - also thinking of swapping my Dura Ace stuff off my Raleigh (rebranded Bottechiai) onto a Specialized Roubaix SL3.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

khdroberts

by khdroberts

OzRider:

Tell me about it!

Since I picked up the Parlee on the 24th Dec I've swapped out the brakes (old brakes cost me $850, new brakes cost me $620), changed the bidon cages and bought another set of Enve wheels (1.45 carbon clinchers - Tune hubs)!

That's basically another $5k!

AND I'm doing the winter bike!

Now I'm tempting myself - might have to get another set of eeBrakes for the winter bike!

Damned!

zup

by zup

hello everyone, this is one of my favorite sites....with very knowledgeable folks affording wise and creative advice.

This is my Parlee Z1, which I am sorry to say I have not hit the road with yet. I am strong athlete and have a need for speed. I've been riding a steel frame Cevelo Prodigy for 10yrs, and pulled the trigger on my Parlee last fall, however, living in Minnesota I have not had the opportunity to ride it, only look at it for 2mths.

Parlee readers, can you share with me your experience riding your Parlee for your first time and hundred time.
Attachments
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG

Ozrider

by Ozrider

That is a really nice Z1, would kill me not being able to ride for so long.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

zup

by zup

It is killing me!!!! But, it won't be long, a week or two at the most.

fireball05

by fireball05

khdroberts wrote:fireball05:

Is there such a thing as a 'budget' Parlee??? Nice!

Compared to most of the other builds I've seen on here, I think mine definitely counts as a budget build! It is super awesome and I can't complain at all. Thinking of adding a set of race wheels, either Enve 1.45s or Madfibers which will add considerably to the bling factor. :)

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Madfibre are insane looking wheels - never ridden them, but think they look VERY interesting.

Of course, I love the Enve wheels and will tell everyone who'll listen to get a pair!

khdroberts

by khdroberts

zup:

Two small favours on your bike - could you please move the front speed sensor to the BACK of the fork? And please, please, PLEASE take off the Roval wheels?

I know they're probably a nice wheel on a Tarmac or similar, but please - not on the Parlee!!!

I'll even go so far as to offer to send you some Enve stickers you can use!

For the record - I'm only jesting about the wheels - but please move the speed sensor!

:beerchug:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

khdroberts wrote:zup:

Two small favours on your bike ...
For the record - I'm only jesting about the wheels - but please move the speed sensor!

:beerchug:

I don't get why you're so insistent on him changing his speed sensor position. Here's why: If for some reason the sensor gets knocked a bit and moves slightly too far in towards the spokes, the way it is mounted now means that the magnet will simply hit a little bit, the rider will hear the clicking, and be able to readjust the sensor or tighten it down properly. If the same thing happens when the sensor is mounted on the back side of the fork, their is potential for the sensor to get ripped right off if it catches the magnet since it will now be pushed forward and in then snap! Just a thought... I see it done both ways, pro or not. I prefer it where it is for the reason above. I don't think it looks better on one side or the other but it certainly looks safer on the side it's on now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

zup

by zup

khdroberts,

Do you really feel that way about the Rovals?

Wouldn't throwing on Light weight, Zipp, ee, edge or those Madfibre (which i really think look cool, which is half of it for me) be a little over the top for hard core all purpose riding.

I just purchased this bike, and spent some good money on the frame itself. I felt the need for upgraded wheels, but did not want to drop big money on wheels at the moment; for something of real high quality i was afraid of ruining or would look a bit pretentious. These Rovals seemed to fit the bill for a great all purpose wheel(for the price of $1,200), and i believe the convenience of clinchers are more practical.

What are your suggestions or recommendations on top of the line, light weight, unique-cool, performance clincher wheels for the $$$.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

zup:

Semi-serious... I've ridden the Rovals you have and they flexed like crazy - brake and frame rub for me on those wheels. But maybe you're light weight and don't have that issue?

I don't know what country you're in so don't know if you're talking US $ or what... and I don't know how tall/heavy you are so don't know if wheels with rider weight limits apply to you BUT, for that sort of money I would have bought some Shimano WH-7900-C24-CLs - lower profile so they may not suit your current needs, but they're a tried and tested quality training/all season wheel. Or some Mavic Ksyrium SRs - I've only ridden them three times but they were quite nice (a little bit flexy for me, but I'm 6'6" and 85 kg).

Personally I wouldn't buy Lightweights. I understand that they're a brilliant wheel, but because I live in Australia and any repair requires them to be shipped off back to the factory - which is a long way from here - I just wouldn't want to risk it. I like stuff that can be serviced locally, but that's just me.

To give you some idea about the wheels I like, I have a set of Enve 1.45 tubulars laced to Tune hubs, a set of Enve 1.45 carbon clinchers laced to Tune hubs and a set of DT Swiss RRC 1250s (that are laced to DT's awesome 190 hub). I am in the process of buying a Specialized S Works Tarmac SL 3 frameset as a winter training bike and I'll use the DT wheels on that.

On that note - I have the option of the Specialized S Works frameset or a Focus Izalco Team frameset - what do people think? Which one? I can't decide I'm afraid...

Back to your wheelset - I know that Enve wheels are super $$$ and so are the DT RRC1250 so they probably won't suit you (given the $$$ you mention), I've ridden some Fast Forward wheels and was really very impressed for the cost.

So, here's the list:

Shimano WH-7900-C24-CL.
    Mavic Ksyrium SR
    Enve 1.45 carbon clincher
    Fast Forward - Your choice depending on the type of riding/depth of wheel you want

Possible alternatives:

DT Swiss RR 1450 mon Chasseral - yes, it's a climbing wheel so may not suit your needs.
    Custom built - Mavic's Open Pro rim is always a winner, lace it to an Extralite hub or Chris King (if you can handle the weight and are a Shimano/SRAM rider) or White Industries or DT Swiss 190 or any one of several great hubs. Custom wheels will always be a great option because you can control everything about the wheels.

Personally I don't like Zipp wheels - I've had too many issues. But understand that others love them, so it may well just be that I've had really, really bad luck.

Madfibre look really interesting but I've not had experience with them so can't comment.

At the end of the day, if it were me and I had the frame you have and the budget you have I would buy the Shimano WH-7900-C24-CL. Great all-round wheel that's pretty much bomb proof.

I hope that helps you out!

Cheers and see you on the road!

zup

by zup

Hey thanks so much for the response, and taking the time to lay things out!!!! i do appreciate it.

I am 6ft and 174lbs......sprinter and hard rider by heart, would think i have good power in my legs to explode, for how long varys. I would imagine with your height flex could be more of an issue, at 6ft will it be as much of concern.

I think those Madfibre look cool and look the part!!!

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Hey Zup:

No worries!

At your height and weight you could ride pretty much whatever you want. While power output is certainly a consideration vis-a-vis wheel flex, the size of the lever (rider height) is also a big source of flex.

Yeah, I do like those Madfibre wheels - they really do look exceptionally cool - but don't you have to also return them to the factory for repair?

I hate to say it (because the Shimanos DO look a little dull) but the Shimano wheels are really a super set of hoops for the money.

If you can spring the extra cash I would buy the Enve every single time - the way they're made allows for very high spoke tension and that makes for a strong, secure, supple and true-running wheel. The only down-side is that they are expensive.

But then, you do get what you pay for!

Cheers and have a good one!

mrfish

by mrfish

Can we make a separate thread for the wheels recommendation please?

Also, I had to giggle when you said you were buying a Tarmac as a winter bike. Where you live there is no winter. It's the old story - the ideal number of bikes is always n+1, where n= the number you have now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

khdroberts

by khdroberts

That's strange. They call it winter, it rains, it gets below zero and it snows. And here was me thinking that was winter.

Perhaps not as deep a winter as those of us living in the UK, but it's still winter - especially when you're used to balmy summer days and long hot nights!

I don't think we need a new thread for the wheel posts - I think it's all a discussion about peoples Parlee experiences and build desires/expectations.

But hey, a moderator will most probably disagree with me.

Perhaps we should have a weather thread? :lol: