Pictures of Colnagos

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

appleduc

by appleduc

About the tires; I do mean the Ultremo's. I see you ride the stelvio's, these are ok but nothing beats the Conti GP 4000s when I comes to reliability!
And the Masters are so good and well balanced bikes: when you haven't ridden them, you can't understand.
"Less is More"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

erik$ wrote:Never got quite comfortable on my G5 so kept my eyes open for something a tad shorter. Very happy after a couple of rides on the indoor trainer - most likely a keeper :) And of course it doesn't hurt that it looks like this:

Yes, it's a Colnago.

Profile pic.

I cringe every time I see one of these C40's in this colour scheme. Not because I don't like it but because it was also my very first Colnago. Back then I didn't believe that I could possibly own more than one so when I wanted a C50 I sold my C40. Stupid stupid stupid. This is one of my favorite color schemes that they did. At least it's not far from home as I sold it to a friend who likes it but knows nothing about just how nice it really is. When people say nice bike he shrugs his shoulders and says "yeah, I guess... It's a Colnago" as if whoever complimented him doesn't know that. Sometimes I feel like I've given up a child to a bad foster home :).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

6'3" with a 62 and spacers, and rise? What on Earth is your inseam? I'm 6'3" 34 inseam and just ordered a 56s EPQ MTBK. Your bike seems like it would be way too big for me. Looks nice though. Ditch the 1080 and get another 808 (or a set of 404's and you have a classic killer).
carbonLORD.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

The 62cm frame fits me perfect (theoretical, but I also feel it)...

On the wheels... what would you guys say of Zipp 303 / 404 firecrests?
The longer I look, the less the 808/1080 fits to this bike...

Pascal
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Your bike needs wheels that have matte black or UD carbon finish :thumbup:
Maximum height 60 mm

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Oke... so what options? ;-)

At lease from height point of view the 303 and (my preferred option) 404 will fit for the looks....
Pascal

2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Surprisingly a lot of folks don't like Zipp's on the Colnago. They have obviously not seen the latest Firecrest models. I've posed the question on other forums and have had responses ranging from Boras, Envys, Mavic and Lightweight but have my own preferences in design, hate paired spokes, wont ride carbon spokes and cant justify a wheel set that exceeds the price of a Colnago frame which has left me in the Zipp category, (I already own a set of 2011 HED Jet 6's).

Both HED and Zipp are using wider wheels and are fast setting the benchmark with their C2 and Firecrest models. I think what these folks also forget is that we are big guys. I'm 200lbs (190 race season) so I have to have confidence that the wheel I torque on a sprint is not going to be all over the place.

I think for your size, and the size of the frame you could pull off an 808 combo if you really wanted to. 303's are nice too, they will climb well, accelerate quick and handle all wind conditions well. For me, 58mm 404's seem to fit the bill. I'm already on a 60mm set of HED's in the Jet 6 and have been using aero wheels long before they were accepted on road bikes and considered a Tri wheel so I know what to expect from them.

My issues with Boras are simply the look, the pared spokes remind me of Rolfs which I do not like. Lightweights, too expensive, carbon spokes, if they break they are garbage. Mavic is an option worth considering as well. The SLE is a winner with its alloy spokes and exalith braking surface and they come in at a decent price point. I mean, if you're going to have to use a special brake pad for a carbon rim, whats the difference.

Ive seen the latest version of the Zipps first hand and can tell you, they are unlike previous models. HED wheels Ive been using since the 90's and the latest models have been the most rock solid to date. Ive broken enough Mavic, Corima and one-off wheels that would make it a hard buy to try them again though I do hear fine things about the latest Mavic wheels to warrant justifying them again.

In the end, we are big fellas, not sponsored featherweight mountain climbers so consider that when you get advice on these forums from lighter cyclists with deep pockets.
carbonLORD.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Thx for reply!

I think the 404 firecrest will look very nice to my bike...
Guessing also the general comfort will improve (as does the weight by almost 500gr!)

Anybody has a pic of a C59 MTBK with 404's or comparible?
Pascal

Rich.H

by Rich.H

I picked up some new Ksyrium SLR's for a bargain price a few weeks ago and finally got around to giving them a run out on my C59 today;

Clinchers do not get too much time on this bike but I much prefer the look of the SLR's on this frame compared to the Fulcrum Racing Zeros I had been using up to now (I just couldnt live with the white hubs).

Cheers

Rich

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

With the holidays keeping me busy I still have yet to build up either one, but I did have time to take a few more pics and order some parts

bare frame weights adjusted for headset cups and seat post clamp

EPS 53cm traditional 1146g frame, 376g trimmed fork
C59 Italia 50 sloping 1088g frame 389g untrimmed fork

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Oke oke, here it is...

Got no rest after your comments on the 1080 / 808 combo... must admit, this is much more like it ;-)
Happy... finally!

I really like how the firecrest works together with the tire... looks & feels almost like 1 unit.

In an hour I will do a short tour ;-)

What do you guys think (besides the 500gr weight reduction)?
Attachments
foto.JPG
foto-1.JPG
Pascal

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Much, much better! :thumbup:

But I still dont like those colnago botllecages and the red color on the bars ;)

kgt

by kgt

Much better. Now remove the zipp decals.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

The red on the bottle holders and the bar matches the little dot on the prologo saddle and the red in the Super Record parts ;-)
Pascal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Rich.H wrote:I picked up some new Ksyrium SLR's for a bargain price a few weeks ago and finally got around to giving them a run out on my C59 today;

Clinchers do not get too much time on this bike but I much prefer the look of the SLR's on this frame compared to the Fulcrum Racing Zeros I had been using up to now (I just couldnt live with the white hubs).

Cheers

Rich

You've nailed it now. Those wheels do look a lot better and overall setup looks like it's a good fit. I know what you mean about the Fulcrums. Great wheels, but I can see why the white hubs would bug you on that frame. You want to keep the extra colors to a minimum with that orange going on. It's all working now. Except for that goofy Fizik clipon saddlebag sticking way out. A friend has one of those and I swear one of these days I'm gonna just ride up along side him, unclip the damn thing and chuck it into the ditch. Lol.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ