CAAD 9 BB30 project; 6.72kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

djg714

by djg714

Yes....got to love the stem.

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

If you were going to put Pro parts on you should have got a Giant. Else you should put something little more 'classy' on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

:?

I've got Pro bars on my Look. Function over form ruled the day there.

Stats

by Stats

This is the nicest CAAD9 i've ever seen... really awesome build spec too - nothing too unique which i like, all nice reliable components and the weight is very respectable! RESTECPA!! :lol:

This is the kind of build i've always wanted to go with a CAAD 9 - and this year with the full carbon fork and maybe a couple of different things you could easily build this bike up to a 6.8kg build - but i love the look of your bike... well done.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

cryoplasm wrote:If you were going to put Pro parts on you should have got a Giant. Else you should put something little more 'classy' on.

I went with Pro parts because of the stiffness of the stem and bar combination. They may not look as classy but they are some of the best bar/stem combinations I've tried.

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

Aye, there's no shortage of stiff parts. The Vibe range is quality stuff but as I say, they best go on a Giant :)

dandancast

by dandancast

The final bike pic looks way better over the pic on the first page! :thumbup:

airsoft510

by airsoft510

UPDADTE:

I wanted to get the weight down a bit with a lighter fork. I found a good deal on an Alpha Q GS-10 and switched it out with the heavy duty fork that came with it. I also took off the Edge stickers to save an extra 30 grams. The bike is decorated for the Giro d'Italia, my favorite race of the year.

The fork came in at 320grams uncut.
The cannondale fork came in at 550grams cut.

With Reynolds DVUL's it weighs 6.81kg.
With Edge 68 clinchers it weighs 7.25kg.

I'm looking to sell the Reynolds to get a pair of 45 tubulars that should get the weight down below 6.8.
I have a selle italia slr saddle that brings the bike down to 6.7kg, but the saddle doesn't fit me..

I have noticed a ride difference. The bike is not as steady going 45+mph as it was with the cannondale fork, but thats somewhat expected with a lighter fork. The Reynolds front wheel also shudders more with this fork when braking. I'm sure all this can be fixed with a caad 10.. but i don't have the money... yet...

devinci

by devinci

sweetsickness

aham23

by aham23

love that white and red frame. very sweet.

do you do any crit racing on this bike? how do you like the stem and bar choice you made?

i am tossing around my CAAD9 build in my head and cant decide which what to go on the stem and bar. 3T, Pro, Alu, or Carbon. much thanks.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

aham23 wrote:do you do any crit racing on this bike? how do you like the stem and bar choice you made?

i am tossing around my CAAD9 build in my head and cant decide which what to go on the stem and bar. 3T, Pro, Alu, or Carbon. much thanks.

Sorry I didn't reply, just saw your post. I used to race crits, now I'm focussing more on track. I like the steam and bar a lot. It's the stiffest combo i've tried. I'll let you know how I like my 3t stem once I get some miles in.

Update on the bike:

I switched out my 140mm -10 Pro stem for a 130mm -17 3t stem. This stem allows me to sit more upright while climbing, and still easily get low when descending. I easily hit 80 km/h the other day.

I'm very happy to say that this is my first build under 6.8kg. It weighs in at 6.72kg

quattrings

by quattrings

airsoft510 wrote:
aham23 wrote:do you do any crit racing on this bike? how do you like the stem and bar choice you made?

Sorry I didn't reply, just saw your post. I used to race crits, now I'm focussing more on track. I like the steam and bar a lot. It's the stiffest combo i've tried. I'll let you know how I like my 3t stem once I get some miles in.

Update on the bike:

I switched out my 140mm -10 Pro stem for a 130mm -17 3t stem. This stem allows me to sit more upright while climbing, and still easily get low when descending. I easily hit 80 km/h the other day.

I'm very happy to say that this is my first build under 6.8kg. It weighs in at 6.72kg

What frame size do you have? The -17° stem looks to be pointing downwards. Does this mean your frame does not have a 73° headtube or is your stem a -20° or is it just camera trickery.

reason i'm asking is, i'm looking to buy a -17 stem for a size 56 frame. If i can still find a ritchey alloy wcs that is :(

Ps: awesome bike and weight as well :shock:

grtzz

airsoft510

by airsoft510

I have a 54cm frame. Headtube is 73 degrees, stem is -17 degrees. It looks like it is slightly pointed down because the top tube is not completely horizontal. The slight slope gives the illusion of a pointed down stem.

KC

by KC

Great bike! If you switched to the SISL2 and Spiderings you could drop another 170 ish grams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk