HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:48 pm 

Great way to come back to cycling! I did that myself with an R1 and well, the Scott Addict does make a great bike! :D

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:38 pm 

Thanks for the move Juan! I forgot myself :twisted: . I will be at the Hilly for sure, I actually manage the local shop I worked at through school. Get in touch when in town 812-336-0241, Revolution Bike & Bean. I think you may know John Myer? He lives here now, I know he used to be on WW's and I thought you guys knew each others, he is a beast :shock:

I will have to check, but I measured the bearings I pulled and they were the same width as those in the BB setup I pulled. To be honest they spin incredibly smooth! Smoother than the Shimano setup I pulled. Setup has around 300 miles now and no binding and no coming loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:10 pm 

Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.
Great bike! Nothing wrong with representing the pink power rangers of the world (^_^)

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm 

I thought i already asked, but I can't find my post. Anyways, what saddle is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:01 am 

AX Lightness Apollo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 am 

Phill P wrote:
How wide asre the bearings you took out?

6805 as a standard bearing is 7mm wide, but campy and new shimano external bearing BBs are 6mm wide.

Possibly the Shimano plastic sleeve adds 1mm width?

What I'm wondering: the Shimano sleeve allows the spindle to be a hand-fit without rattling about, whereas the campag cups are presumably ground so the bearings can be hand-fit.

Putting a campag bearing into a shimano cup would seem to risk having a press-fit on both the inside and outside of the bearing, would it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm 

Same bearings here is what is going on.

-Shimano/Scott factory setup consists of two plastic cups that the bearings sit in with the standard plastic bearing spacers (those damn things that break sometimes). Shimano uses this setup and an angular contact on the non drive side arm to take up slop and the plastic sleeve/spacer is there up space. There are also two dust covers/spacers on the outside of the bearing that take up some slack.

-My setup uses the Shimano/Scott cups with the factory bearings pressed out and the dust covers/spacers removed. Campagnolo uses a metal on metal mating surface for the bearings, which is why the are pressed onto the spindle. Any slop is taken up by the wave washer as there is no room in the mounting system on UT for slop. Some tricks are you must remove the c-clip holding the (can't remember if it is d-side or non) bearing on and press both bearings into the cups with a wave washer. Press the cups onto the crank arms (with bearings in them) press the arms into the frame, torque bolt, ride bike.

One more trick, to get the shimano bearings out of the cups, press the cups/bearings onto the campag setup and then press off JUST the cups. The press fit is much tighter on the spindle then the bearing and cup.

When I get home from holiday I will pull it apart and take full photos and measure it all up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:25 pm 

iubike wrote:
When I get home from holiday I will pull it apart and take full photos and measure it all up for you.

Great Solution Kyle -- I'd be very interested in seeing how you made it work. There are lots of R4s around, and I was thinking about transferring the build kit from my S1 to an R4.

After 2 seasons on my 07 Addict LTD, there is still no frame out there I would even consider to move to... considering price, handling, etc. So I figure why not just get another one as a backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 pm 

Phew sorry, been busy here lately! Bike needs to be cleaned so here soon I will get those photos. I agree, the bike is just amazing, it does what I need it to do so incredibly well, not to mention it handles like nothing I have ridden. None of my buddies can keep up on the tricky descents with me ;).

Go to page Previous  1, 2