My Albino Build: Canyon F10 '07

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

Frameset: Canyon F10 Ultimate CF '07 (56)
Crankset: Campagnolo Record UT 172.5
Brake Calipers: Zero Gravity SS with Kool Stop Red Pads
Derailleurs: Campagnolo Record
Shifters: Campagnolo Record
Cables: Jagwire L3 (Brake and Derailleur)
Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus 13/26
Pedals: Time RXS Carbon/Ti
Saddle: Tune Speedneedle
Seatpost: KCNC Scandium
Headset: Canyon
Stem: Syntace F99 135mm
Bars: Easton EC90
Rims: IRD Cadence Niobium
Hubs: American Classic
Spokes: DT Revolution
Tires: Continental 4000GP
Skewers: M2Racer QR
Bartape: Fizik Microtex
Bottle Cages: No name (24 grams each)
Computer: Garmin Edge 305 (not pictured or in weight)

Weight: 14.96 pounds: 6785 grams

Right:
Left:
Crank:
Rear Right:
Rear Left:
Seat:

There are a couple of minor changes coming. The seat clamp HAD to go, so I have an OMNI racer (M2racer knock off) coming. It's raining at the moment, so I'll get some sunlight pictures at another time. The pictures really don't do it justice: it does look a lot better in person and I hope it rides just as nice...I'll get the tester ride in tomorrow afternoon.

Please feel free to criticise, make suggestions...do the general WW thing :)

Cheers :D

PS: I know it's very white, which is on the way out from being the new black, new red, new Ti, etc...I may think of putting some color into it later but this is it for the time being (some of you may remember the color discussion on this frame about a month ago: those suggestions have been considered and are still under review :? )
Last edited by Mottsauce on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm not normally a fan of white bikes, but I really like this one. it just seems to come together well, perhaps because there aren't a lot of other colours. It's also great to see a reasonably large bike with real parts that you can use every day (except that I'd want a different saddle) that is around the UCI's weight limit.

Congratulations on building up such a nice bike. I hope it's as much of a pleasure to ride as it is to look at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Nice setup... i really like the white bike theme. looks like a bullet proof build. enjoy and welcome to the club!

KB

by KB

I love white bikes, so this one's a winner for me. The only thing I would have different is the saddle, but that's a minor quibble.

Luc

by Luc

Sweet build !...

Yep, white is the new hype....

8)
Pollice verso.

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

The process of getting the Canyon here was...interesting...yeah, that's what I'll say. They use Schenker, a freight company, to ship the package. So, I had to personally clear the package through customs, then go pick it up at the Schenker office down by the airport. Canyon's customer service was always great and very cordial, but they knew very little about what I would have to do when the frame arrived, so it became a bit of a headache since I've never done anything like this before.

It was an outlet frame, so it was already in house but it still took 3 1/2 weeks for Canyon to get the package to Schenker...took almost exactly a month from order to delivery. With what I paid for shipping, this was a pretty big disappointment. However, they were also moving to a new building last month so I guess it's understandable.

With all that said, I'm still very happy. I made these complaints/suggestions to Canyon and they told me that the house move might also include some policy changes. They all speak good to fair English and responded to all of my emails within a few hours. Although, I think they only don't quite understand time differences; they called me at 3:30 am once :twisted: :D

Ride Report: Just did a quick 25 mile spinner to freshen up the legs for a MTB trip tomorrow. The ride was not nearly as harsh as I expected. I felt the bumps, but the frame soaked it up pretty well and definitely did not feel dead. I did a couple out of saddle sprints and one climb to test the responsiveness and boy was it there :shock: . Power transfer was immediate and snappier than my '05 Giant TCRc1. I'm no expert in testing frames, but I know when it feels good and it felt good :thumbup:. Overall, I'm quite happy and I'll get in a long ride soon to see how the comfort level works out.

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

First good ride on it today, 60 miles of varying terrain: :D :) :lol: :P :mrgreen: :twinkle: :thumbup: :no1: :beerchug: (that clear)

Only thing I was worried about was the stiffness on choppy roads over 50 miles, but I must say that have I never felt this good (butt or back) after a ride. The rig responded well on short sprints over rollers and pissing contests with my teamates. Some of this could be attributed to new bike giddiness, but I'm pleased to say the least and it was well worth the shipping hassle (especially for the price)...am I starting to sound like Kuiper? :wink:

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

A couple of changes:
1) Ritchey WCS Solitude Wheels
2) Elite Patao Cages
3) OMNI Racer seat clamp

I've put a little over 600 miles on the Canyon so far, and I'm still happy. I have noticed that on rides of over 50 miles, especially with the stiffer Ritchey wheels, I start feeling those bumps quite a bit more. It's something I'll have to get used to because I like the ride, fit, and performance too much to worry about it. I'm riding better than ever this season which has 95% to do with better training, but I like to think the Canyon has helped a little (mostly pyschological I'm sure).

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

The Stormtroopers are back :D !

Congrats on the build. I'd suggest maybe a fork change though to help the bike feel better on longer rides, maybe a larger aero fork to adsorb the vibrations from the front wheel a little more.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

Guy

by Guy

The Canyon fork has a conical shape to fit the tapered headtube. I don't think any other fork will fit, which is a shame and a pain.

tottitotti

by tottitotti

Were you not satisfied with the wheels (Niobium)
I weigh 80 kilos and thinking of having a set build with DT Swiss 190.

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

tottitotti wrote:Were you not satisfied with the wheels (Niobium)
I weigh 80 kilos and thinking of having a set build with DT Swiss 190.

My rear developed a little hop in it and I could never keep it true after that. I decided to just cut my losses, sell them as is on ebay, and go with the Ritcheys. I've heard nothing but good things about the niobium hoops from others though.

I do wish a fork change was an option, but I knew what I was getting going into it; the stiffness is well-advertised/reviewed. It isn't intolerable...just something I need to get used to. I'm okay with it for now, but maybe I'll find another way to give my butt/back a break...any ideas?

KB

by KB

Check your tyre pressures. Maybe you could let them down a bit. That would have the most effect on comfort. Other than that would be thinking of the saddle, but that's such a subjective judgement as one man's joy is another's pain!

Sportlov

by Sportlov

Could be interesting to see how it looks with those vittoria tires that have some white color on them. The contis are really good tho.

Ressel

by Ressel

Looks really nice, love the white theme.

Building up a white ultimate pro cf myself. Have you had any problems with canyons donut looking topcap? Seems to me that water and other fun stuff will fill up the steerer when riding in rain.

Edit: Just saw that you have a 07 so you might not have the same topcap problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com