Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

johanfl

by johanfl

I just couldn't help myself :D
Just a little teaser.
This is what i am buildig tonight.
This is after 2 hours.
More details later as the work progresses.
//Johan
Attachments
IMG_2438.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
Last edited by johanfl on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

earth1tree23

by earth1tree23

Hej!

Nice build so far! I really like the plain 12k Carbon weave finish-it looks very clean and high-tech. Make sure you post some final pics when done!
AFSA- Always Full Speed Ahead

chrism

by chrism

That DA crankset is SO wrong given all the other cf going on there (should really get a full carbon seatpost too).

:twisted:
No scales on the trails

mpap89

by mpap89

what frameset is that?
Michael

tochnics

by tochnics

the quality of the DA crank is very good, the alu head on the carbon post sounds sturdy

u can spend a lot of money pushing the weight a little lower but it wont do any wonders

peterpen

by peterpen

chrism wrote:That DA crankset is SO wrong given all the other cf going on there (should really get a full carbon seatpost too).

:twisted:

Nonsense. :wink: Carbon is a great material for some things (frames, posts, bars if done right) but for cranks it's primarily a marketing tool.

Using a DA crank values function over fashion - me likee.

johanfl

by johanfl

Hi.
I did thinking of getting a cf crankset but i didn't because of three reasons.
1. I have a budget so it's much cheaper to buy a complete gruppo than buying separete parts and exluding the DA crank and getting a CF one.
2. The DA crank is plenty stiff and its not too heavy.
3. I don't exactly race at national level so the DA crank will be fine.

The seatpost and the stem is very heavy as you will see when i publish the buildlist, but i got them very cheap. And it will not cost too much to upgrade later.

//Johan

earth1tree23

by earth1tree23

Nice to hear people on this site are also thinking about function, and not just the weight. :idea: It isn't all about weight. as you all rightly observed...getting a CF crankset that is really going to be lighter than D/A and also outperform it in terms of stiffness is indeed a pricy option. And indeed still mainly marketing. I bolted an FSA MegaExo CF crankset on, and the weight is really no different. But then I am building up a BPStealth frame and wanted something that also looked different and techy. And if you still want to change to a CF crankset wait a year or two and this will change. By that time upgrading is still a possibility anyway.

And I am also interested to hear what frame this is, where you got it, how much it was and how much it weighs and so on.

But I do recall reading in your initial post that your build was going to be on friday. It is now saturday. Where are the pictures of the finished article? :roll:

johanfl

by johanfl

Jeeez. You are in hurry :lol:
Saturday was spent building on the deck or patio (don't know exatly what it's called in english) in the garden, then off for a quick MTB ride and to round off the day dinner at some friends.
So i didn't have time to finish the build.

//Johan

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Hey Johan,
Sounds like a good day to me!
Glad to see your project coming along nicely.

earth1tree23

by earth1tree23

Ok-fair enough- you are forgiven :wink: ... patio is like a garden enclosed by the house itself, a deck is outside in a garden for example, like a raised area usually decked out with wood. Not that it really matters though! And yes, I am the kind of person that is usually in a hurry...I start a build in the morning and work on it until it is done. (This only works if I have all of the parts ready to hand. Usually I am in too much of a hurry anyway and just start building up with parts as they come in.

Indeed sounds like a good day though! At least you made use of it cycling yourself,-I spent the day trying to get my 1.5 year old to learn how to ride (start 'em early I say!)

So what frame is this?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Since Johan has probably dozed off on his patio by now, i'll take the liberty to answer that :wink: The frame is axman.

earth1tree23

by earth1tree23

Well-with weather like this who can blame him? Bedankt voor de tip re frame Strobbekoen! I had never heard of Axman before and just checked out their site. They have some nice stuff! I am really considering just getting onto a plane to Taiwan/China with a fat wallet and just go past some of the manufacturers to buy some new toys at factory direct prices....

johanfl

by johanfl

Sorry.
I forgot to give the details.
As Koen already stated, the frame is the R2 frame from Axman.
The weight (51cm) is 1033 grams.

I was on a long MTB ride this morning, got home and discoverd that i was locked out from the house. Had to wait 2 hours in 8 degree celsius. I had to crawl under the dogs blanket to keep warm. Not fun!

//Johan

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

/\ Next time, try and find a way in. I'm not sure how secure houses are in Sweden, but here, mine was incredibly easy to get into in a pinch.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com