Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robg

by Robg

Nice oldskool cannondale you got there!

Luc from DP right? I recognised the cannondale from the DP forum!

LucVR

by LucVR

Damn, there goes my cover ... :lol:

tochnics

by tochnics

is that a killer v frame ?

LucVR

by LucVR

Yep, met 1 1/8" stuurbuis, geen Headshock

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

that chrome 'dale is dreammmmmmy. is it mostly original? how'd you get it? what's the story?

jet sanchEz

by jet sanchEz

ElDuderino wrote:that chrome 'dale is dreammmmmmy. is it mostly original? how'd you get it? what's the story?

It isn't polished aluminium?

LucVR

by LucVR

The 'Dale is polished alu, not chrome.

This was in fact the very first 'proper' mountainbike that I bought. At the time, I also had the chance to get my hands on a complete XTR groupset, not the M900, but the M950, at a 30% discount. So that was the original buildup. The cranks are serving on my DH bike, I had them anodized black to go with the frame. The other set of M950 cranks that I have are in polished form on the Digger.

I had my first experiences with suspension on this bike, with a Votec double crown air fork. It was air sprung AND air damped, worked very well in fact. And quite light, can you imagine +/- 1600gr. for a double crown fork, incl. steerer clamp ...

I also used this bike as a bike messenger in Antwerp, and it's seen a few accidents in that time. The worst one was when I was hit by a car from the right at +/- 50-60kmh/h right on the rear axle. My right wrist was shattered to pieces, had to be fixed with 3 pins. The worst damage to the bike was that the rear end was out of line by +/- 1cm. But apparently perfectly parallel with the front wheel, I could still ride it no-handed. I've had this corrected, so the back end is in line again. The only visible damage left is a small dent on the right seatstay.
Another one is when a cab suddenly decided to take a right turn right in front of me. I hit the front wheel of the cab at full speed (35-40km/h.), flew over the hood, left some flesh on the tarmac. Absolutely no damage to the bike, fork and front wheel (one of the first wheelsets I built myself, we're talking early nineties here) straight as an arrow.
I guess you can say this is one tough frame.

As for this buildup, I had a few M900 parts lying aroung, gathering dust for a few years, together with the frame. I didn't want to sell frame or M900 parts, so I decided to put the parts on the KillerV. I thought it would make a nice 'city' bike. I've tried to carry the polished theme through as much as possible, apart from the headset which I had left from a steel Sunn frame. Hence the polished Spécialités TA chainrings ...
Note to the puritans here: I didn't set out to restore a bike to it's original state, I just wanted to put together a nice bike with some nice parts.
And for those who wonder about the balloon tires: I need them to provide some comfort for my old body on the harsh streets of Antwerp :) . It sucks riding not suspended at all (especially on such a stiff and harsh frame as this) when you're used to 150-200mm. of suspension ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com