My Merlin Extralight (new pic on page 1)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

God it just reeks class!

What a fantastic build!

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

Timo wrote:Bike is shown here with training/cobbles wheels (Record/DT competition/Mavic Open Pro with Chorus cassette)

Timo... Looks a lot like my extralight:

Downtube front shifter, challenge roubaix tubies on ambrosios, 3x 32h record hubs...

Nice.

g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLight

by SLight

Greg, your bike is just WOOOOOW !
very close to perfektion.
just one question, isn't it a little too flexy? extralights are known to be a little "soft" no? and I remember that I could twist my handlebars a lot with the grammo stem.

Timo

by Timo

WOW, Greg, did you try Paris-Roubaix on that or what? :mrgreen: Lovely build, I especially like the wheelset and the good old Grammo stem! Is that also a 1" headset?

I used an SLR saddle for two years but a few weeks ago I returned to my old Flite Genuine Gel. Must say that the added comfort is very welcome and beats the extra grams.

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Cyclist in the Sun

by Cyclist in the Sun

Way back when I had an Extralite, you could sense it was moving in the BB area out of the saddle (wierd for someone used to Vitus frames). A CODA MM crankset took care of it, totally transformed the ride.
A day isn't the same when I don't ride.

I work in the bicycle industry.

Timo

by Timo

I must say that Schmolke handlebar made the bike less flexy compared to the previous bar (Syntace Racelite) but the combination of an Extralight with a titanium BB and Storck Powerarms will never be stiff. The bike is indeed quite flexy but I like it that way. I don't race but do long distance solo rides so comfort beats stiffness for me.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

SLight wrote:Greg, your bike is just WOOOOOW !
very close to perfektion.
just one question, isn't it a little too flexy? extralights are known to be a little "soft" no? and I remember that I could twist my handlebars a lot with the grammo stem.

The grammo stem is a noodle...you can visibly move the bars... but I ride the bike from the end of racing (when I hang up the slc-sl) until the end of our "spring classics" which ends in a dirt road roubaix style race. So in some ways, the cush is appreciated during the bad months.

Timo wrote:WOW, Greg, did you try Paris-Roubaix on that or what? :mrgreen: Lovely build, I especially like the wheelset and the good old Grammo stem! Is that also a 1" headset?

Yes, it is a 1" reynolds fork, king hs, and 1" grammo (no shims for me :) ).

Long time slr user and really like them - but saddles are personal preferences :D

Normally my bike has m5 brakes on it, but I stole my wife's record calipers to fit the fatties for this race:

Glad I did... needed the clearance!

g

tochnics

by tochnics

ditto on the schmolke bar, i have a tlo thats looks fragile but is quit stiff
i recently changed my pro plt stem to a pro vibe and its way stiffer
need a shim for the 1 inch fork in both cases but that does not hurt
so get a more solid feel and keep the plush ride with a stiff stem 8)
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Timo

by Timo

Greg, do post some pics as well of the bike after it was cleaned 8)

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I love how your bike looks classic from a distance, but when you look at the details the modern tech appears.

Timo, do you still ride around in big baggy shorts? Or maybe that was someone else?
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Timo

by Timo

Yupz, that's me and a bit less baggy but such shorts are still there. The classic/modern tech combination confuses quite some fellow cyclists. I randomly run into people who ask me if the frame is Reynolds or Columbus or why I don't buy a lighter bike :wink:

Some Campagnolo Neutrons coming up in a few days. A special custom classic/modern tech wheelset is coming in July.

Timo

by Timo

Got myself a set of Neutrons. Removed the red decals to match the bike...

tochnics

by tochnics

looking good with those wheels
mayby u should ad a sticker with " Titanium " on the seattube or headtube to teach the noobs to look better before talking
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Timo

by Timo

The first upgrades for 2010 have arrived. Just small details.

A clamp...

...and a shifter...

Timo

by Timo

This season I dropped the stealth look of the saddle and the bar tape in favour of a bit more color...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com