by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Build list would be great.

I'm not sure anyone's hating.

While none of our road stuff is made for jumps, I would say that conversation about useable and rideable should be called wise rather than hating.

I could be wrong, but a quick look gives me an oppinion that this is more a prop / model than a bike. In that case, "Gallery" makes more sense than "Road" as a forum choice.

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

First off, congrads on a very Uber bike. It looks very, very nice! (Especially the frame.)

+1 -- Yes, I triple the motion to request for a build list. And more closeup pix.

You certainly have some interesting parts. I can recognize a few parts. Tune skyline skewers, skyline bottle cage, THM crank and fork, KMC chain, maybe a Schmolke TLO handbar, Aerolite pedals, maybe a tuned campy record FD, maybe Dugast tubies, but there are still a lot of blanks to fill in. Wheels, seatpost, saddle, etc.

I see you're in San Fran...there is no better place to take advantage of your terrific bike than in SF and the surrounding areas. Which hills (climbs) have you done with this ultralite? Just curious.

Again, wonderful build!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I don't get it.. Rue makes custom frames no ? Why the huge seatpost, spacers and upwards pointing stem :(
It doesn't look "right" to me, sorry!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

strobbekoen wrote:I don't get it.. Rue makes custom frames no ? Why the huge seatpost, spacers and upwards pointing stem :(
It doesn't look "right" to me, sorry!

Do you want it to look right, or do you want it to weigh (and hopefully ride) right?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Okay then.
How many racers do you see set up like that ? Rue is a custom frame builder, why not build it right for the rider in the first place ? I think it's a fair criticism in this case, no ?

VVV

by VVV

PezTech wrote:

I could be wrong, but a quick look gives me an oppinion that this is more a prop / model than a bike. In that case, "Gallery" makes more sense than "Road" as a forum choice.

That right there is straight up hating. Not that I disagree, but there's a time when to know not to say something.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

too slow wrote:Very nice, Donald. I hope you really enjoy your new bike. Bye the way what kind of seatpost is that? And to all the people hating on his bike and the frame, I would like to remind you this is the WEIGHT WEENIES forum! You might have forgoten with all the doping and will my fashion bike look cool with this new part posts. But that bikes like Donalds is a big part of what this forum is all about. Thank you Donald for pushing the envelope. I prefer mine to be a fair bit heaver, but respect weenie O.C.D.

:smartass: :goodpost:

Woohoo
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Hyde

by Hyde

PezTech wrote:Build list would be great.

While none of our road stuff is made for jumps, I would say that conversation about useable and rideable should be called wise rather than hating.

Definately "NOT" hating here. I think it's pretty cool when a bike can be built at such a weight!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

too slow wrote:Bye the way what kind of seatpost is that? .

I believe that is a very old buffalo designs (Maybe called BCD) seatpost. They were pretty sweet about 7 years ago. (not hating BTW)

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

strobbekoen wrote:Okay then.
How many racers do you see set up like that ? Rue is a custom frame builder, why not build it right for the rider in the first place ? I think it's a fair criticism in this case, no ?

But if the amount of aditional tubing (to account for the length dilation due to the angle of the stem) for the stem is less than the amount of additional tubing required to lengthen the head tube and the top tube, why not go with the slightly funky design - assuming that everythings made of carbon with the same amount of wraps. It makes sense to me - if you want an all out light bike, he's done just that - the raised stem allows for three tubes to be shortened, reducing weight. It may look a little strange, but this is WW's, and if Donald wanted an all out killer light bike, and thats what he ordered from Rue, I honestly think this is one of the better ways of making the frame fit the bill and the rider.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Hyde wrote:
PezTech wrote:Build list would be great.

Definately "NOT" hating here. I think it's pretty cool when a bike can be built at such a weight!

I totally agree that a good light build is cool. I would just love to know more about it, as I've also seen my share of show bikes (some that don't even make it through interbike or a show without breaking).

There have been more than a few rigs at interbike that qualify for the useless and foolish award more so than the lightest bike.

This one has double chain rings front and rear mechs, bar tape and a cage... I've not seen anything road worthy within more than a pound that was equiped like this.

Brent builds some nice bikes. It's no insult at all to Rue. I'm not asking about the build trying to hate, I'm wondering if it's a show bike or a useable road bike (not that it's not cool either way). There's a difference...

Hyde

by Hyde

No Doubt! I'd love to know that it works & how much it cost to build!

donald

by donald

yes, the saddle is tilted up a little, one reason is the shape of the saddle, I tend to sit back on the saddle, and the back of it curves up a little. Also on the day the pictures were taken I let someone at a bike shop sit on the bike, who weighed 30 lbs more than me. I didn't have the bolt real tight, the saddle moved a little and I didn't have time to go home and get a wrench before the pictures were taken. And so the front of the saddle is a little higher than the way I ride it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

The seat post is an older BCD, it weighs 78 grams. The brakes are older Dia Comps. I have used them for years. The pair weigh 120 grams with all hardware and pads. They work great for me stop very well. I have seen a number of pro racer bikes with as much seat post as mine. As far as the size of the frame, It is as small as possible but to still fit me. I feel very comfortable on it and feel it fits me just right. Remember this is a weight weenie bike, but it will be ridden a lot and since I haven't had problems with these components on my 9.1 lb. Teschner, I don't forsee any on my Ruegamer, and it is stiffer than the Teschner. Again I will list everything, probably, next Tuesday.