Just bought a ADK (Pedal Force) QS-2S with full Force group

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

thewalrus

by thewalrus

Not a super-light UCI illegal bike either, but also affordable...

Surprisingly affordable compared to 2007 Campy ($490 crankset!). After reading many reviews of the DoubleTap shifter mechanism I don't think I'll have any trouble adapting. This should work out really well, the bike parts and my new saddle, helmet will be ready when I return from business in Central Asia on the 15th.

I'm using an Ultegra 6600 12-27 cassette because I wanted the low gearing while still retaining a normal 53-39 crankset. My current Specialized has a 52-42-30 and a 12-25 triple on it, which is mostly frustrating. I find that on longer steep hills the 42-25 is not low enough, but combos like 30-21 and 30-23 are too low.

Gearing calculator says:
42-23 is 48.0 gear inches
42-25 is 44.2 gear inches

39-24 is 42.7 gear inches
39-27 is 38.0 gear inches

I like the new bottom range much better than my current setup, and it will be nice to upgrade from nine speed 105...

Can anyone comment on Pedal Force's estimated weights? Low? High? Wildly inaccurate? This component list without saddle is suppose to weigh 15.04 pounds. If it calculates the weight for the fork with uncut steerer, and uncut seatpost, it's may be high. Temporarily going with the $179 Easton Vista SL wheelset at 1700g. The plan is to keep the Vista SL for training purposes and get a really nice wheelset in the 1450g range in the next month or two.

I'll be adding a Specialized Toupe 143 saddle (140g) and a set of Crank Brothers Eggbeater C pedals (285g).

Frame: QS2-S
Frame size : 58 cm
Fork: ID14
Headset: FSA Orbit CE
Headset Compressor: Carbolock
Headset Spacers: Carbon headset spacers
Headset spacer height : 15 mm
Seatpost: P2 300mm x 31.6mm
Crankset: SRAM Force Crankset w/ GXP Team BB
Chainring combination : 39-53T
Crank length : 175 mm
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP Team Bottom Bracket
Chain: SRAM Force PC-1090 PowerChain
Front Derailleur: SRAM Force Front Derailleur 34.9mm
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Force Rear Derailleur
Brakes: SRAM Force brakeset
Integrated Shifter & Brake Lever Set: SRAM Force DoubleTap Controls
Cables: Standard Derailleur and Brake Cable Set
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS 31.8mm Bar
Handlebar width : 44 cm
Handlebar Tape: Cinelli Gel Cork Tape
Stem: Ritchey WCS 31.8mm Stem
Stem length : 110 mm
Tubes: 700Cx18-25 Butyl Tube, Presta Valve x 2
Front Tire: Michelin Pro 2 Race, 700CX23 Kevlar
Rear Tire: Michelin Pro 2 Race, 700CX23 Kevlar
Wheelset: Easton Vista SL 700C w/QR, Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 10 CS-6600 10 Speed Cassette
Cassette combination : 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27T
Consumer Warranties and Policies: Professional Bicycle Assembly
Product Satisfaction Guarantee

Real photos of my actual bike in a couple of weeks when I get home. Until then here's some shots of the QS-2 frame from Weight Weenies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I have yet to read a good review on how these frames ride.
I'd also like to see some frame stiffness data.
I suspect that this frame might embarass some $3500 frames.

Crit Rat

by Crit Rat

DocRay wrote:I have yet to read a good review on how these frames ride.
I'd also like to see some frame stiffness data.
I suspect that this frame might embarass some $3500 frames.

Ditto on the above points

Please post a thorough review of the ride qaulities of this frame when you get a few rides in on it. I will likely be purchasing one through the group buy in the next couple of days as the qualities of the qs2-s seem stellar.

jmh

by jmh

I'll be adding a Specialized Toupe 143 saddle (140g)

I found the 130mm version to be about 161 grams, you maybe be closer to 175 grams at the 143mm width.

noseparade

by noseparade

If you don't mind sharing, how did you get this frame?

Pedal Force doesn't seem to be selling them yet.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

noseparade wrote:If you don't mind sharing, how did you get this frame?

There was an offer on Road bike Review (I believe) where a group of people on the forum went in for a group order and urchased the first batch unless I'm mistaken

thewalrus

by thewalrus

noseparade wrote:If you don't mind sharing, how did you get this frame?

Send email to info@pedalforce.com , they will sell you a frame if you tell them you wanted to take part in the Bikeforums.net frame group buy but can't wait 100 days. Ming has been very helpful and responds to emails faster than most other online bike stores / part stores.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

How much $ was the group rate?
MyGiant! MyScalpel!
".....but our amps go to eleven"

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

CaptainWilier wrote:How much $ was the group rate?

Read the topic "Pedal Force QS2-S Frame Group Buy":
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=22039

thewalrus

by thewalrus

Hello all, an update on the weights before the build started... full bike photos will be ready in the next day or two.

QS-2S frame 58cm with downtube cable stops, four bottle cage bolts, BB cable guide and a big steel bolt holding the cable guide in place. Without seatpost clamp: 1125g

Pedal Force ID14 full carbon fork, uncut steerer, 407g. I estimate it will be just under 360g when cut.

Pedal Force 27.2 x 300 seatpost, 165g

SRAM Force RD short cage: 177g
SRAM Force FD double with 35mm band clamp: 101g
SRAM Force front brake 144g, rear 137g

Easton (Velomax) Vista SL wheelset, 1030g + 806g bare, a full 136g over claimed weight. These do have a nice 30mm aero profile rim and the hubs look like a good deal for the money. Only $179 US for front and rear... a fine winter training wheelset.

Here's what the fork and seatpost look like.

Crit Rat

by Crit Rat

Nice. I can't wait to see more. That's a good weight for the 58cm with some of the hardware on it.

I jumped on the bikeforums group buy so I'm going to have to wait 3 months but that's time I'll be on my winter beater anyway so no big deal.

Where did you get the wheelset?

thewalrus

by thewalrus

Wheelset came with the bike - when configuring a pedal force the Vista SL are the default wheelset, or you can save $179 by removing the wheelset entirely. I decided to keep them to use while my custom set are being built, and for winter training.

scott97

by scott97

Congrats! It looks like its going to be a great bike after buildup. :)

I'm looking forward to your first ride report.

schmalex

by schmalex

Any Updates? A ride report, perhaps?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thewalrus

by thewalrus

I completely forgot the after build photos and ride report! Here's a copy and paste from my post to the bikeforums road section:

[QUOTE=WheresWaldo]Okay so I didn't hear wrong. Are you saying that Syntace did a recall or FSA? Light and strong, that's why I went with the Ritchey 4-Axis,[/QUOTE]

My RS. The Ritchey WCS 4-axis is very stiff already...

Same length in a Thomson X2 is exactly 40g heavier (135g vs 175g)

My old primary ride was a 2005 Specialized Allez Elite (all-aluminum frame / carbon fork / nine speed 105 parts, roughly similar to a Trek 1500 in spec). It's now relegated to trainer duty.

The RS is significantly stiffer in the BB, and there's less road vibration. It does feel a bit more dead when riding, sort of like riding a thick plank of wood... But that's a good thing. I still have excellent road feel through the bars but the saddle vibration is reduced even with a much thinner Toupe saddle.

This is the first full-carbon frame bike I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I can say that the front end feels less flexy in out of the saddle hammering. The fork and headset junction is definitely stiffer than my Specialized. For those who care about weight the frame with bottom bracket cable guide, downtube cable stops, derailleur hanger, without seatpost collar was 1130g. It's a 58cm.

I think I want to try round drop "european traditional" belgian style drop bars that have a longer flat section in the drops. The Ritchey WCS bar is nice, but there's only one possible hand position when in the drops on an "ergo" bar.

My main complaint is that I couldn't get the fork and seatpost without the Pedal Force logo. It's not as bad as their old logo, but I'm going for the full stealth design... the plan is to cover them up with some stickers.

One LBS employee asked "is that a Colnago?". It was at a shop that mostly does high-end mountain bikes, so I'll forgive him the mistake... but is there a Colnago frame that looks anything like this?

The Pedal Force seatpost is nice and light. It was something like 160g at 300mm, very nearly the weight of a Thomson Masterpiece in the same length. Great deal for $50 or $60.

Components: The stock brake pads on SRAM Force brakes still aren't as good as the $5 Kool-Stop black pads from www.pricepoint.com. They were the first thing to go. I believe the ramping and pinning on a Dura Ace 53 ring is significantly better than the SRAM rings. Shimano has various patents on the inner design of that ring... and for good reason! Chain pickup is very quick. I have no problems with the front derailleur's lack of adjustment like a Chorus/Record setup, because I don't use stupid cross-chaining combos.

EVERYONE should order a spare chain and cassette from Ming when they buy their bike. He's selling them at wholesale cost. The SRAM PC-1090 and a Ultegra 6600 12-27 were $80 together. Saved something like $25-30 over buying them separately later on. Usually the CS-6600 is $65 by itself...

[QUOTE=Hammertoe]Hey tusked one...

What length stem is that...

Which headset did you use...

Where did you get the spacers that match so well...

Any more pictures of your RS. I did a search and only turned up pictures of the frame...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It's a 110mm stem, headset is the FSA integrated model that came taped to the frame when it was couriered to me from Singapore. The spacers came from Ming at Pedal Force, I'm sure they match well because he chose them to do so... kudos to Ming for that. People have said funny things about the bottle cages, but they cost $5 and are indestructable (Specialized mountain bike alloy model, pretty light too). The bike is a full pound lighter since this photo was taken with the addition of a 1460g Mike Garcia wheelset, 30mm niobium rims / White Ind. rear hub, 20/24 CX-Rays.

Here are the other photos.