HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 am 

Hi all,

First pics of my new build - Look 585 Ultra (XXL frame - 59cm). Please excuse the quality of the pics. Bit crappy.

It's not really weenie-fied (I'm way too big - 90kg) but came in on the store's scales at about 7.6kg (without bottles), compared to my previous 9.5kg beast, I'm pretty happy.

The build list is as follows:

Deda Newton oversize bars and stem
Look 585 Ultra frame (XXL - 59cm)
2007 Chorus CT groupset
DT 240s hubs
DT RR1.2 30mm rims (28F, 32R)
Sapim CX-Rays
Michelin ProRace2 clinchers
Thomson Elite seatpost with setback
Selle Italia Prolink gel saddle
Elite 74mm alloy cages
Woodman gator Ti skewers

Future additions:
Carbon tubulars for racing
Changing the chain to KMC X10.93. Has anyone used this chain on a Chorus '07 groupset? Is the shifting better? Not that I'm complaining about Chorus' shift action, just wondering if KMC had any advantages.

I've put about 300km on it so far. Loved every kilometre. Just wants to make me ride day after day and is plenty stiff for a big bloke like me.

Cheers,

Damo

Attachments:
Look 585 Ultra 012.jpg
Look 585 Ultra 012.jpg [ 103.15 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
Look 585 Ultra 016.jpg
Look 585 Ultra 016.jpg [ 111.89 KiB | Viewed 985 times ]
Look 585 Ultra 017.jpg
Look 585 Ultra 017.jpg [ 120.83 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]
Look 585 Ultra 021.jpg
Look 585 Ultra 021.jpg [ 64.1 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:33 am 

Nice build, that sure is a big bike as well!

One question, any reason for th compact group over the standard? Assuming that your power matches your size (ie a fair amount of power) I would have thought a standard set up would be better, unless of course you are using an 11-23 or something like that on the back.

I find that on descents and in sprints racing, I run out of gears with a standard front and 12-25 on the back, so I use an 11-23 for flat races and I am only 73kg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:03 pm 

G'day,

Thanks. It's pretty big, yeah.

You're quite right with the compact gearing, I was debating this very issue when building the bike. I run 11-23 with a 50-34 front and max out on the flats at 50-11. But living in Sydney (and will be moving to Brisbane) flats are a rarity. Hills on the other hand, are always around the corner.

However, the main reason is because the compact gearing have a much better combination of middle gear ratios. I have a high cadence in riding (95+ rpm) and I like staying in my big gears and the compact lets me stay in the big ring without having to drop my cadence or go into the smaller ring.

It will be interesting to see how this works in a crit (haven't raced on the compact yet).

All the best.

Damo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 pm 

I know about the hills in Sydney, none of them are long but there are some short sharp ones around the eastern suburbs, I lived there for about 4 years and have only been back in Canberra for 2.

Too much traffic in Sydney though and no bike lanes like in Canberra but way too many bogans in Canberra shouting out their windows at you and heaps of broken glass in the bike lanes (from said bogans) making for very dirty bar tape from wiping your tyres every 2 minutes!

Brisbane would be interesting to ride in, I go there for work a few times a year and like it as a city although the worst of summer would be a bit much for me.

Back on topic, I have just ordered the new 2007 chorus standard 8 peice, how do you find the new quick shift? Any different to the old? I am switching from shimano so hopefully it will be a whole new good world I never knew about.

Cheers
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm 

that thing is effing sweet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:58 pm 

Thanks RPM. Rides like it looks. Smoooooth :)

Jason,

I really like the Chorus, the QS has not been tested in a race yet but I've been using it when cresting the rollers around northern Sydney. It's great to dump multiple shifts in a go to motor down the hills.

The shifters are a world apart from my Ultegras, they're 'feel' crisp and solid when shifting. The Ultegras were good but it is not the same as the Chorus.

However, the Chorus front derailleur needs to be tuned a little bit as I'm dropping the chain when I shift too quickly into the smaller front ring. It might just be that I'm not used to the faster Campy action and need to spin faster.

Yeah, the heat will be a killer in Brisbane. I'm looking forward to be able to ride without having to fight for space with cars though.

Stay safe in Canberra.

Cheers,

Damo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:57 am 

Beauty of a bike!! Gives me a bit of an idea what mine will look like.

XL 585 Ultra sitting in my room waiting to get built up with full Record 8)

Can't wait to take it for a spin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:18 pm 

TCR,
I've been following your thread on Fairwheel, it look slike yours will be something special. When do you think it will be finished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:55 pm 

Nice reliable rig Damo :D

Good to see more XL bikes on the forum!

Has come up nice, enjoy riding it! :wink:

cheers,
erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 pm 

CAAD7R3000 wrote:
TCR,
I've been following your thread on Fairwheel, it look slike yours will be something special. When do you think it will be finished?

Just waiting for the Record group to arrive, should be built within a week or so.

I still need to make my mind up what wheels I'm going to use for all round riding though! I might pick up a pair of 05 eurus' I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm 

absolutely my favorite frame :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:32 am 

tcr wrote:

Just waiting for the Record group to arrive, should be built within a week or so.

I still need to make my mind up what wheels I'm going to use for all round riding though! I might pick up a pair of 05 eurus' I think.

Hi TCR,

Full Record? Show us a pic when you've completed the build. Is your frame XXL too? Have you settled on your wheel choice yet? I've built my wheels from 240s with CX-Rays. They're bombproof so far, hit a manhole cover/mini-pothole square on at 30+km/h last week and wheels are still true. Total cost plus wheel building services were less than AUD$1000.

I also found that combined with the higher profile DT swiss rims and the Ultra frame, the ride is really stiff and responsive.

In doing the research for the frame choice, the 585 Ultra came at a much lower stiffness score than the Canyon F10 or even the Storck CD1.0 (was considering these two as alternatives). I cannot imagine what those frames will feel like right now. Probably stiffer than my old Cannondale Caad3 alu frame.

All the best with the build. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. Getting a bike that *really* fits and rides like it does is a dream.

EJM/Mathieu,

Thanks for the kind words. As you can probably tell, I'm loving the ride and yes, this is (for the most biased of reasons of course :D ) my favourite frame.

Cheers,

Damo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am 

damo72 wrote:
Hi TCR,

Full Record? Show us a pic when you've completed the build. Is your frame XXL too? Have you settled on your wheel choice yet? I've built my wheels from 240s with CX-Rays. They're bombproof so far, hit a manhole cover/mini-pothole square on at 30+km/h last week and wheels are still true. Total cost plus wheel building services were less than AUD$1000.

I also found that combined with the higher profile DT swiss rims and the Ultra frame, the ride is really stiff and responsive.

In doing the research for the frame choice, the 585 Ultra came at a much lower stiffness score than the Canyon F10 or even the Storck CD1.0 (was considering these two as alternatives). I cannot imagine what those frames will feel like right now. Probably stiffer than my old Cannondale Caad3 alu frame.

All the best with the build. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. Getting a bike that *really* fits and rides like it does is a dream.

Hi Damo,

Yep full Record - the group just came in today! Frame is an XL. For the wheels I think I will go for a pair of 05 eurus' for an all round wheel and maybe some Bora Ultra's later :twisted:

Just waiting for a couple of odds and ends, hopefully I should have it built by the end of next week.

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am