HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:16 pm 

Took my brand new Emonda out for its first ride today! Had a small clean up afterwards and took advantage of the situation to take some pictures. Will try and follow up with pictures out in the wild and a decent ride report once I get in some more miles!

I had it built up at my LBS so I don't have weights for seperate parts.

Frame: Emonda SL (size 60)
Groupset: complete Ultegra di2 6870
Wheelset: Zipp 60c - Conti GP II
Saddle: Romin Pro
Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Other components are all Bontrager parts (aluminum stem and steerer, seatpost, RXL cages)
Drivetrain is compact (50-34 and 11-28)

It's nothing overly special or obscure, but I picked the parts myself (already had the wheels) and I'm loving the electronic shifting. My bathroom scales are telling me it's weighing in at 7.5 kg right now, which is to be expected with a size 60, electronic groupset and a heavy wheelset.

I'm still dialing in my fit, and I'm getting the fork cut as soon as I'm happy.

I'm also hoping to bring the weight down to around 7.2kg by upgrading to a lighter wheelset.

So, pictures!

Last edited by Norregard on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:09 am 

Nice set-up... H1 or H2.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:09 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 am 
Administrator

From the pics, and your choice of Zipp 60 wheels, it it looks like you live in a flat part of Yurp. Holland perhaps?
If that is the case, please read on. The 34 tooth chainring you have on your crankset will be of no use unless you visit places with some more sustained climbs. On the new Shimano cranksets you can quite easily install a larger 4 arm inner chainring. If my guess is right, a 39 inner ring will be perfect. With the 39 you can ,eventually, ditch the 11-28 climbers cassette (or keep it for those days in the hills) and ride a much nicer 11-23 gearing. This gearing is spaced closer, meaning there are smaller differences between the cogs on the cassette, which feels so much better when shifting. the 50/28 of 25 combo you now ride in will have your chain wear faster.

Keep the 34 for long days in the hills and in the end your wallet will be happy, because an inner chainring is cheaper to replace then an outer.

Sorry for the rant!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:26 am 

@upside: it's an H2 fit, which is the only option if you're buying the frameset seperately like I did.

@Frankie: thanks for the advice. You're very close with your guess, I'm in Belgium! The 34 inner ring made sense to me for now because I very regularly visit the 'Vlaamse Ardennen' and the Ardennes. I already have a trip planned to the Vosges as well. Also I'm coming from a triple crankset so I'm still adjusting coming from full on granny gearing! :-) Definitely keeping your advice in mind for the future though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:54 pm 
Administrator

Ah, that explains a lot! thanks for that. [url=https://www.strava.com/activities/193984386]The koppenberg[\url] is doable with a 39 x25 for us mere mortals. although I wished I had my 34 installed. (or weighed 8 kilo less) Coming from a triple, this must be a culture shock for you. Good thing you were wise and didn't hold on to it.
For climbing a different set of wheels might be a better choice. these are for speed, you know you need shallow wheels as well ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm 

Definitely! I've been contemplating for a while whether to complement these wheels or get rid all together and go for a 50mm full carbon clincher (wheelsmith, november bicycles, stealth wheels for example, basically anything affordable that comes with decent quality control and warranty/service) and complement those with a nice pair of alloy clinchers for climbing (something factory built like a pair of c24 or maybe handbuilt like pacenti). Feel like I'm a long way away from making a decision though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 am 

Very nice man! I love my Emonda SL-8 but I have DA 9000. No Di2 yet maybe down the road after I get some more cash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm 

Nicely done. I know how hard it is to build up a large frame, so congratulations on keeping it relatively light. I presently ride similar gearing (50/34), but would recommend that you at least get a narrower cassette. I run a 12-25 in the back on mine, and although I do give up a little in the way of top speed, I am able to stay in the fat part of the cassette, and experience virtually no drop off when switching gears.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:30 pm 

Thanks!

@wicked2010: did you end up switching out the Red22 for DA9000 then afterall? Di2 didn't need many miles to convince me. Shifting from the small to the big ring and vice versa is just effortless. The little whirring sounds it makes while trimming are also fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 pm 

Norregard wrote:
Thanks!

@wicked2010: did you end up switching out the Red22 for DA9000 then afterall? Di2 didn't need many miles to convince me. Shifting from the small to the big ring and vice versa is just effortless. The little whirring sounds it makes while trimming are also fantastic!

As matter of fact I made the switch to DA9000! I'm staying mechanical for now. SRAM Red22 is gone. It was because of the front brake caliper would not allow my 25mm tire to run without rubbing the brakes bottom arch. Crazy if you ask me. I'll say this DA9000 stuff is pretty sweet.

I've only put on like 300 miles with the Red22 and it was great while using 23's but I don't like 23's where I ride. I've been using 25's for a long time. I love the 25's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:01 am 

I've no beef with the gearing (I run 50/34 11-28 on one of my bikes and it's great for big climbs), what always confuses me is when people run a heavy aero wheelset with climbing gearing. If you've geared the bike for long steep climbs then you need a climbers wheelset, if you want to rock heavy aero wheels for fast flat work then you're better off with tightly spaced gearing, surely?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 am 

Bike looks great btw - apart from the chimney stack ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 pm 

@bencolem: you're definitely right. I'm actually in the process of buying new wheels and will sell the Zipp 60c I currently own. I'm buying Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 clinchers (second hand) and I'll suplement them with a set of alloy climbing wheels. I'll definitely make sure the cassettes on both wheelsets match the purpose of the wheelset!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:07 am 

A lot of Emonda's on here lately!

Went on my first ride with my new wheels yesterday (Bontrager Aeolus D3 5). I'm happy to say the difference with my old wheels is day and night. There was a lot of wind but the wheels hardly caught any. On my Zipps I would have been blown around. They look a lot better on the bike too.

I bought them decal free, and I think I'm going to keep them that way.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:07 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 pm 

The bike looks great! 8)

Go to page 1, 2  Next