07 Specialized Tri-cross E5 - 16.7lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

carrift5

by carrift5

Hopefully I can make the pictures work. Just built my new Spec tricross and was impressed how light it is without any super light components. 16.7lbs with race wheels.

Here's the spec:
Replace the stock fork with Ritchey WCS Carbon (485g)
Dura Ace drivetrain
FSA aluminum bar/stem
DT 240 hubs on Velocity Escape rims - built by SpeedDream**highly recommend Dave.
Pauls brakes
SLR saddle
S-works carbon seatpost

I can't embed the pic. anyone care to tell me how? thx
Attachments
Sally 22 weeks 0031.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

canisestinvia

by canisestinvia

You got rid of the stock fork which makes a HUGE difference. Beyond that, I did pretty much the same...no exotic lightweight stuff, and it still comes out light in the end. Have fun with the sworks

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

What does that s-works sl post weigh?

I am looking for some cross clinchers. I was thinking 7801 wheels as they are durable, but these might be a bit lighter and jsut as durable. What do you think?
Tell us more about the wheels. Spokes? 3X?

carrift5

by carrift5

The stock fork weighed 850g and the Ritchey 480g both with uncut steerer tubes. Quite a difference.

The frame (52cm) including headset bearings and post clamp weighted 1501g.

The seatpost, uncut, weighs 200g even.

The wheels are radial laced fronts, 24H w/alloy nipples and DT radial hubs. The rear are 3x 32H w/DT 240 hub and Velocity Escape tubular rim. I forget the spokes he used but the drive side are round and the non-drive side aero. Think everything he uses is DT. I've now had 3 different pairs of road wheels built by Dave and they've all been bomb-proof. The pair weighed 1450g according to his scale.
I really wanted something that used normal spokes/nipples and I believe the 7801 is heavier. I think this setup is great - durable and light.

TonyP

by TonyP

Nice Build on the S-Works. Even nicer without having to pay for all the WW parts. what size is that?
i definitely agree on your wheel builder. Dave Thomas at SpeedDream is the man. he has built all my MTB racing wheels, and all under 1300gr.
i am about to have him lace up some cross wheels for me.
Yo Cansi, where were you today?

canisestinvia

by canisestinvia

TonyP wrote:Yo Cansi, where were you today?

:( saddlesore

TonyP

by TonyP

That means more time in the saddle on the Cross bike.

collegiateRacer

by collegiateRacer

sorry to bring up an old topic. but, I was wondering how your wheels have held up?
also, I was wondering how well a cross tubular tire mounts on the escape rims? are they shallow enough to get a good contact between rim and tire?
I am thinking of getting some velocity escape rims and was doing search and saw this post so I thought I would ask! thanks.

carrift5

by carrift5

The wheels were great all season. I used the tubular tape (cyclocrossworld.com) method for gluing it held very well. I rolled my rear in the CO state race but that was totally my fault - I slid out in a corner and high-sided it.
I reglued it w/o the tape and it held fine for last 2 races of the season. I don't know a lot about gluing tubulars but it seemed to line up and hold up quite well. There was about 1/4" of base tape sticking out on either side of the rim.
He built a powertap wheel + velocity rim for me [2 season ago] that I abuse on my road bike and its got a small wobble but that's it. I think he's a phenomenal builder and reasonably priced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

collegiateRacer

by collegiateRacer

thanks for the info!

I have ordered 07' record hubs that I will build 32h 3 cross (front and rear) with revolution spokes to Velocity escape rims. I will glue on open corsa CX's for the road season and then come cross I will glue on some cross tubies, I'm thinking maybe tufo flexus I have heard there nice. I had Elite LPS's this year and might just glue those on though, they still have a lot of life left.

I think they will be a great set of wheels in complement with a set of deeper carbon wheels too.