2006 Turner Nitrous

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LowCel

by LowCel

I thought I would make a new thread to show my "completed" Turner Nitrous. I still have a couple of parts I need to swap out for lighter ones, but it is pretty much done.

Here is what it looked like when I first brought it home.

Here is what it looked like about two hours later. I even took the time to get a model for the picture. This is just a quick shot, I'll get some "glamour shots" of it later including some more detailed pictures.

As of right now it weighs in at 22.15 pounds (10,050 grams). The build is very sound, no sacrifices of durability or safety in order to make it light. I do plan on getting it down below 22 pounds once I put the X.0 rear derailleur on and cut the steerer tube.

Oh, on paper it's already 21.66 pounds. Too bad that doesn't count in the real world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

Gold cables, very bling! I like it. Looks very nice overall and a great weight for a real world bike. Are you going to post a parts list?
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

LowCel

by LowCel

Oops, forgot the specs.

Here's the scale.

Nicolas

by Nicolas

Wow that's a great build and it even has some of the heavier componenentry like a Thomson and "heavy" FSA stem. One improvement I'd make is change the SID for a Pace RC39 should be a little lighter and quite a bit more stiff. The skewers could be changed to some with a Ti axle... Tune for example....
Think, type, speak... In that order...

pieterp

by pieterp

Really nice build already! I think a Nitrous would be my choice for a fully as well.
You can however still save some weight without sacrificing reliability. Get a Syntace F99 stem and some tune skewers.

jackal2513

by jackal2513

nice, looking good
i love the turner frames

easy to lighten from teh looks of things
there has to be half a pound to be shed in just the Cassette and Brakes let alone the rest of the bike

how come your X0 rear mech weights 211 .... mine was 196g as stated

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

jackal2513 wrote:how come your X0 rear mech weights 211 .... mine was 196g as stated

Looks like its not the BlackBox version and a long cage (same as I have since my build was before the BlackBox was readily available).
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD

LNC

by LNC

Nicolas wrote:Wow that's a great build and it even has some of the heavier componenentry like a Thomson and "heavy" FSA stem. One improvement I'd make is change the SID for a Pace RC39 should be a little lighter and quite a bit more stiff. The skewers could be changed to some with a Ti axle... Tune for example....

I've heard really good things about SIDs... if RC39s are lighter stiffer and still work as well as a SID, go for it, just remember that sometimes, especially in MTB, it's important to consider that a slightly heavier suspension system that performs better than a lighter one might still make you faster. Although, I have no idea which is actually a better XC fork.

LowCel

by LowCel

Thanks everyone.

In the picture the bike still has the X.9 rear derailleur. I'm hoping to trade it for the X.0 on my Ellsworth Truth in a couple of days. Just don't want to change anything before my race on Sunday. As for the weight of the X.0 it is a 2004 long cage X.0, not a new one.

As for the fork it is a little flexy, I just haven't decided if I want to spend the cash on a new one. If I do get a new one it will be a Fox F80x. Granted it's not light but I love that fork. I have the F100x on my Truth.

LowCel

by LowCel

Now, for the ride report........

I took the bike out for it's first ride last night. First thing I found out is that I need a longer seatpost. I need about another 5 - 10 mm. Unfortunately I am already at the minimum insertion level on the Masterpiece. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace it with.
I would like to get an Extralite, just don't know if I want to spend that much money on one. I would rather use that money towards either an XTR cassette or a new fork.

Next problem, I bled my brakes yesterday before the ride. Unfortunately I managed to get a little Magura Blood on the rotor. I thought I cleaned it off pretty well, I was wrong. I ended up going through the first half of the ride with no rear brake. That was fun.

Next problem, I forgot to tighten up my front derailleur clamp after getting it in the proper position when I built the bike. Unfortunately while I was out riding I didn't realize this, thought the cable was slipping. I "tightened" up the aluminum cable pinch bolt and snapped it. Oops. I ended up doing the second half of the ride in my small ring.

Now, from the best I can tell I still like my Truth better on the rougher downhills. No big suprise there. Now, on the tight flowing trails this bike is awesome. It amazed me how well it cornered even though I haven't built up much confidence in it yet. I can't wait until I get some saddle time on it and get used to it. Unfortunately I cannot give a good comparison on the climbs yet. I went out really hard on a group road ride on Wednesday that tore my legs up. I was still feeling it yesterday and as a result had no energy to give the climbs. I suffered on all of them, not the bikes fault though.

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

The F80x fork should help your descending confidence a lot. I had a Pace RC39 on my Genius and while I loved the weenieness of it, it just never inspired confidence on technical descents. Now, with a F100 (not the X) she descends like a dream. It's like a completely different bike. Well worth the 200g penalty for the stiffness and... wait for it... Fox-iness.
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com