Hi from Sydney

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Carrera84

by Carrera84

Hi , I've just recently returned to riding after a 20 year break, currently on a Giant Sedona CX(Hybrid, dont hold that against me) which I use to commute to work, around 15kms return. my original road bike which is prehistoric(86 vintage)is very average, that's putting it midly. having discovered once again how much fun and enjoyment riding has given me I now look forward to getting up for work. I'm hoping to join my local club and join them on some of there rides, and when my fitness level improves possibly participate in some of there racers, in the master category, so the hunt for a new road bike has commenced, after doing the usual research on the net and talking to people, I've decided on the Cannondale R800 I've been lead to believe that this bike is of high quality and will see me through for many years. Feel free to put in your 20 cents worth or what experiences you may have had with your bike.

Cheers
Nicholas:D

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Welcome to the board (good to see weenieism is growing in Syd)

You didn't tell us much about you frame priorities (budget, weight, comfort or stiffness etc) so it's hard to say if a R800 frame is the right choice.

Check out http://www.kompm.com to find hills and rides outside of the busy Sydney streets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carrera84

by Carrera84

Hi Bruiser,

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I have to admit I know very little about bikes but learning fast thanks to Weight Weenies.

I've had to delay the purchase of the new bike thanks to a hefty bill from the ATO for last years tax. I dont know if I mentioned in my original post but I'm presently using a Giant Sedona CX hybrid, to commute, I'm looking at changing to a thinner slick type tyre and possibly replacing the front Capa RST fork, for a lighter one, any ideas??? There's probaly heaps of things that could be done, but may not be worthwhile on this particular bike. Loved the King of the Mountain site, I may try some of the easier climbs.

Talk soon

Nick

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I havn't kept in touch with the hybrid market, but I'm sure there are some nice tyres available.

Most of the climbs times on KOMPM are by non-competitive riders, some on hybrids.

Give the climbs a go on your current ride, even if only to see the roads outside of the suburbs.

Carrera84

by Carrera84

Next round of rostered days off I'll give them a go !

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

There's also www.cycle2max.com - which has a lot of climbs listed all around Australia, some of the times are probably geared a little more towards competive riders, but its still a great tool for tracking your fitness.

Fireball XL5

by Fireball XL5

Hello Carrera 84, Ive just bought myself a r800 and cant rate it enough.
I feel its one of the best value Cannondales. With a few wee changes I have got mine down to 7.7kg. The other bike to maybe think about would be the full carbon Synapse?
As for tyres the Sefas 28mm's look like fast rolling and fork wise maybe try and get a Kona p2 rigid 700c fork, they are great with just a wee bit of flex to take the sting out of the many potholes!

Carrera84

by Carrera84

Its been some time since I've last posted anything but I'm happy to say I've finally bought a bike, picked it up last night from a chap who's only owned it for 10 months and upgraded to something else, and I must say "I love it", hope to thousands of Kms on it.

As soon as I work out how, I'll post some photos

Cheers

Carrera84
Colnago Mix Ultegra groupset[/img]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com