New Weenie From the SF Bay Area / and my bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pokecheck

by pokecheck

Hi, This is my 05 Kestrel Evoke, its my first Compact Frame and I never really liked compact frames... now I love it... I'm a bigger sized rider and this seems strong

Frame: Kestrel Evoke 56cm
Fork: Kestrel Evoke
Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: ITM Millennium
Handlebar: Kestrel EMS Pro
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Seatpost: Deda BlackStick
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace
Shift & Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace
Crank Set: Shimano Dura-Ace
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace
Wheelset: Velomax Orion2
Skewers: Velomax
Tyres: Continental GrandPrix Supersonic
Pedals: Speedplay X/2 Stainless

Total:
7310 g

-Ian
Attachments
Ians_2005_Evoke2.jpg
ians_2005_Evoke.jpg
Last edited by pokecheck on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Wow...that is one unique looking frame :)

Welcome to the board is the first thing, but also, how do you find the Orion's? I've been considering a set of eastons (that or second hand carbon tubies) for a month or so now, but its hard to get advice on them considering their not the most WW wheels arround :?

Skies388

by Skies388

Beautiful ride, I love Kestrels frames.

pokecheck

by pokecheck

NOT TO BE TOO OFF TOPIC BUT... Update 6-15-06 ... mechanic tells me the small "click" I've been hearing while riding is a "manufacturing defect" crack near the bottom bracket... I will see how Kestrel handles this issue... (the bike only has about 500 miles on it)...
but if I don't get a new frame out of the deal... YOU WILL ALL HEAR ABOUT IT!!!!)... and I will instantly HATE the company!

Skillgannon: the Orions: ... I haven't used them much so I can't offer any advice on them... but overall, I think its a good weight to price wheel... not Super_Super light / but not super expensive either... I've had them for a while (pre Easton days) so I can't offer any advice of finding them either, sry

Skies388: I've always loved Kestrels, always wanted one... but the Evoke is like the "redheaded stepchild/ ugly duckling" of Kestrels line... I think its got a face only a mother could love... but Kestrel has been in the Carbon game forever and I will trust them to build an excelent frame, (and it rides like a dream).. I think the worst part of the Evoke is the Paint job... ... (the 2006 has a different, and IMHO a better looking paint job)

peace
-Ian

retemple

by retemple

poke, how was your bb-issue resolved?

col hicks

by col hicks

:D very nice i reallly like the kestrel frames

pokecheck

by pokecheck

retemple wrote:poke, how was your bb-issue resolved?

retemple: ummm NO... I haven't seen my bike for 3 months

my mechanic sent the frame to Kestrel... Kestrel didn't replace the frame (disappointing)... they said they wanted to try to fix it first... but they didn't have the parts to fix it, so I needed to wait... well it was 2 months before the parts came in... and when they "fixed" it and sent it back to the mechanic, it was incorrectly repaired... ( I didn't see the frame myself, but the mechanic said it was "visibly incorrect")...

the frame was sent a second time back to Kestrel... which was "Repaired" again... and (the same original frame) is back with the mechanic awaiting assembly... but I won't hold my breath its any better than last time...

I have read lots of good things about Kestrel and Kestrels customer support, but haven't seen any of it... without a doubt, this will be my last Kestrel... and I will NEVER advise anyone to buy one...

I've lost a whole riding season...

at this point I just hope SOMEDAY I'll see my bike again...

buyer beware!

retemple

by retemple

poke,

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it gets resolved soon. That's the first bad experience that I've heard regarding their warranty department.

Do you know what exactly was wrong w/ the BB?? Did they need to replace the bb shell??

Have you tried to contact anyone at Kestrel to push the issue??

I have an Evoke myself and I haven't had any issues but I'd probably get another bike if I could do it over again. Good luck with everything.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Though it seems the fault with Kestrel is with the delay in fixing (3 months, though I would think you gotta give them at least 1 month). Not everyone gets a new frame even right off the bat even with other manufacturers and their "lifetime no-fault" warranties.

Hopefully your frame will be back and built up good as new soon. Though I'm curious what exactly was the BB problem.

BTW, your frame looks a bit glossy but from the pics I've seen the blue versions like yours had a matte finish, did you get it clearcoated?

Retemple: Evoke is still on my short list for a new frame, why would you get a different bike next time?

pokecheck

by pokecheck

ok, I finally got my bike back... just under the 4 month mark

funny, its actually LIGHTER now (not by much, but a little bit...).... Kestrel (or my mechanic) put on a different seat post clamp, thats probably the reason for the change...

I haven't really tested it hard yet, but I did take it out for a few miles and it seems ok, sadly the weather is changing and it will probably see more hanging than riding the rest of the year... but I hope to take it out sometime soon and put it through a real hard/hill test ride.

VeloScaper, like you, I've only seen the flat/matte ones in person... but this one came new with the gloss... and I have seen other black/blue/gloss combos in photos (I think on eBay)...
frankly the only reason I would shy away from the evoke next time is because of the bad taste in my mouth... but the bike itself is a great ride and responds well to my larger than average power plant...

What the actual problem was, is still a little of a grey area to me, but I think the whole problem/noise was actually coming from the Hangers... (and the repair Kestrel did looks a little bit less than stock... any needed updates to follow)...

retemple

by retemple

Poke, what's the latest? Do you have pictures? Mine broke today. There's a new thread. I don't know if they can repair it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com