HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 am 

It took awhile but here she is:

(size 56)

uncut
42 cm
110mm

Stripped 172.5 110mm Force

Hope to get a total weight this week!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:57 am 

Nice! How does it ride?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:57 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm 

Rainy :shock: race bike ?

Nice !!!

Aren't the Corsa CX tires supposed to be slippery on the wet (they're 23 or 25 mm ?) ?

Louis :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm 

That looks absolutely amazing. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 pm 
in the industry

This is such a classy build. Looks simple, practical, and efficient. I love it.

I'm guessing the Archetype weight is for the rear rim? My 24 hole came in at 482 so looks like the weights are pretty consistent. After the ano started wearing away on my brake track (after the first ride) I was practically over using my brakes to get it all off. Doesn't take too long though :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm 

Looks nice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm 

I like this built a lot! Wouldn't consider this as a rain bike tho with CK hub, RED and Praxis.. The Ritchey fork is very light! I thought only AX and Enve make forks with that weight. Where can one buy the fork online, if I might ask?

I wonder whats the difference in terms of ride quality compared to the other handbuilt custom steel frame..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:35 pm 

I like the overall looks of this bike, just wonder how long the wheels will look nice when used as a rain bike. That anodized finish will soon wear off. Wouldn't a silver brake surface have been a better option?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm 

gravity wrote:
I like this built a lot! Wouldn't consider this as a rain bike tho with CK hub, RED and Praxis.. The Ritchey fork is very light! I thought only AX and Enve make forks with that weight. Where can one buy the fork online, if I might ask?

Not to threadcrap, but I saw this build and I have a Ritchey fork as well which is a rarity these days as most builds seem to feature Enve.

I got the Ritchey Carbon Pro for ~ $200 a couple of years ago at Bicycle Outfitters Indy to replace my stock Allez alloy/carbon boat anchor fork. The pro only weighs 25g more than the WCS according to Ritchey's website, 345g vs 325 (steerer uncut). Sadly I did not have scale at the time to confirm. Looks like they have the Pro for 220 right now and the WCS version for 270/300 depending on the rake you need. They also have a 15% coupon code for your first order. Just google them. Keep in mind these are avaiable in straight 1 1/8".

Imaking20,
I am considering picking up some force levers as i transition from shimano to sram. I already have a red crank and force brakes. How did you got about de-labeling the levers and cranks? Did you just use fine sandpaper, then finish with a new clear coat? I'd love any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm 

That looks spectacular. The way the coloured hubs look with the white and black of the rest of the bike has made me seriously consider going with some red or gold R45's when i build my wheels.

Awesome bike!

2012 Ridley Damocles RS
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111632
2012 Dekerf Team SST
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112060&p=957055#p957055

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

Yep, super slick build. Seems like each part is a pretty distinct, personal choice, but it all comes together very nicely. Well done.

I'll ask the same question as Louis though, do you know something the interwebs don't about Vittoria Evo Corsas in the wet? Been looking at getting a pair of these but I have no personal experience with these and the hearsay says they are horrible in the wet. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't correct at all though. -Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm 

Thanks everyone! This seems better received than my Cento!

@Ssalmon - this is my first steel frame. The ride is nice. Quite a bit more stack than I'm used to - not sure if I'll leave it that way considering it will likely see longer distance (and be ridden with more clothing) or get a -17 stem. I don't have a lot of time on it yet so I can't give too much feedback. Will update when I do though!

@fio - the rear rim weighed 468, front 482. A little porky but oh well.

@gravity - The other bike is my Cento1... this is definitely a rain bike. I finished it on a (rare) sunny day though so fenders have yet to be mounted. CK hubs (as well as headsets and BB) are very popular here in the PNW because they hold up so well to weather and have a great warranty. As for the group - the plan was Rival but I got some fantastic deals on various bits locally. Why build *down* if you don't have to? Praxis rings because we have a lot of hills and I hate flexy rings! I bought the fork secondhand for ~$160

@Timo - these wheels won't solely be used for pissy weather, I'll use some SRAM S27s with Vittoria Pave as well.

@Dallez - I did most of it with a razor blade but ended up using sandpaper. On the levers - skip the razor blade and just go for the grit! I used 400 and 600.

@Quinn99 - Mango or bust!

@juanacity - Thanks! It was pretty fun and stayed within budget. The wheels were a little pricey but they'll be used on the Willy as well so all is well. I'll strip the fork before long as well.

The Evo Corsas are 25mm. I don't have a ton of time on CX/Pave yet but so far I'm not concerned at all. They handle and ride better than my GP4000s did and when conditions get tricky I think handling skills matter a lot more than minor differences in grip between these and something like a GP. FWIW, my neighbor has spent quite a lot of time on the Vittoria - training on them all through some horrible winters - and he acknowledges they give out a little before the Conti. He's a bit of a sissy on the wet tarmac though :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 pm 

One of the nicest bikes I've seen here in a long time. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:07 pm 

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 pm 

Class build and looks great. It'll ride better than 3/4 of the bikes roaming these halls.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next