New Member from Malaysia

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

crockedknee

by crockedknee

Hi there.

Long time lurker, first time poster all the way from Malaysia. Got myself a semi-custom titanium frame from a an East Asian manufacturer. Not particularly going for a weight weenie build as I am a heavy fellow, and quite hard on equipment. Didn't specify tube size, just geometry (copied from a Colnago C59). Manufacturer sent fabrication drawings first for confirmation before going ahead with production. Lead time was around 5 weeks.

Build list:
Frame + Fork + Seatpost: Semi-custom East Asian manufacturer
Saddle: Fizik Arione Tri2
Groupset: Mix and match out of the parts bin: Red shifters, Rival derailleurs, Ultegra brakes
Crank: SRM DA 7800
Stem: Easton EA90
Handlebar: FSA aluminium (can't remember model name)
Computer: Garmin Edge 500 on K-Edge mount
Wheels: Farsports 38 mm x 24 mm carbon clinchers, CX-ray spokes and DT Swiss 190 hubs.
Tires: Continental GP4000S front, Vittoria Open Pave CG rear
Pedals: Look Keo

Haven't weighed it, and don't intend to. Sorry :D. Rides nice for a budget titanium frame. Haven't been able to put any decent miles on it as I've been offshore a lot since I got the bike. Longest ride has been 110 km's and it was perfectly fine.

Not too sure how to post pictures on here. Let's see if this works.

Last edited by crockedknee on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome:

Very nice looking build! What is the branding on the down tube?

Why not just put it on a scale?!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

:welcome:

Nice simple clean looking build :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Hello :)
nice bike you have there. What is the name of the brand of that frame?
I would like to see some weights as well (thats why this forum is called weightweenies ;) )

michel2

by michel2

Jointh cub !(;
Verynice bike, it's an instat cassic !

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Another welcome! :welcome:
Can you tell us more about the frame? How did you select geometry?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ahki

by ahki

Its hard to make out. is it a Rikulau Master Ti?

http://www.rikulau.com

crockedknee

by crockedknee

Well, the full story on how I ended up with this frame.

Me and my friends are opening a bike shop here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Titanium bikes are not readily available in the region and we wanted to provide the riders here with an option for affordable titanium. We met with a couple of manufacturers at the Taiwan bike show in our bid to develop our shop brand. After extensive discussions with them and amongst ourselves, we started communicating with the one which we thought would suit our requirements best.

This is actually a prototype frame of what we'd like to provide to our customers. I chose a geometry pretty close to the Colnago C59 as I've heard they're very stable and have neutral handling. After providing my preferred geometry to our manufacturer, they provided shop drawings and after some back and forth to clarify details, we gave them a go ahead to produce this frame.

Lead time from first providing them with geometry to arriving at the shop was approximately 5 weeks. Due to a broken hand and time working offshore, I've had limited time on the bike, approximately 500 km. So far, so good. Everything you'd expect out of a titanium frame. On the plus side, it's stiffer than a De Rosa Titanio which I've had before. I'm coming from a Cervelo R3, and I have no complaints on flex at all. Those tubes are burly! Maybe too burly even :-) We have a couple of improvements that we have in mind for the final production run.

The brand on the downtube is Fingerprint, which was decided over a steak lunch :-) Hope to spend some quality time with her once my offshore stint is over, and I'l provide more detailed feedback once I have more miles in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com