Build my walser TT bike. (pictures on page 9)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

You're joking about raising your saddle some more, right?

Your crank arm isn't even at 6 o'clock in that picture, and you have WAY too much of your heel raised. I can't imagine how that must feel on your poor calves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tillquist

by Tillquist

That are so specielt about the BB on a Walser TT bike ...since you can't use a standart BB ?
See all my bike h e r e

Emmanuel

by Emmanuel

Lookin' good!

I agree with RollinOn27s though, that in the pic the saddle to me seems already to be too high, but hé, you're the one riding the thing. Comfort is something else for everyone.

jeffr

by jeffr

About the saddle height.. The picture was taken while I was coasting down hill and not really pedalling. I'll try to take some better pictures soon. I think I scoot forward on the saddle when I'm really riding and my legs feel cramped in there. My arms and back are looking ok, but they probably look better now that I've adjusted the stem and put the pads on the armrests. :)

I don't know what my best 40k tt time is. For 20-30 minute intervals I can do almost 300 watts on my road bike. I'm 60kg. I hope I don't lose too many watts in a tt position but I will find out soon. I don't yet have an aero helmet but I won't be doing any tt races until next year. The season is ending and I want to practice more on the tt bike before I do a race.

Tillquist: There is no bottom bracket really. There are pressfit bearings in the frame with an axel pressed into them. The axel has no shoulder so you can move it to adjust the chainline a little. You put spacers between the axel and the cranks to prevent it from moving once it is in place. The headset is also very special and does not require preloading.

The bike was somewhat daunting to build. I spent several days and had the help of carbonfiberone at many stages. He drilled and tapped the frame today so I could mount a bottle cage for longer tts and training rides. I got an arundel chrono aero bottle that is supposed to improve the aerodynamics a little even. ;) I still have to further cut the extensions and paint the fork before it is totally done.

The ride is incredible. It feels more stable at high speeds. I took it up to 35 mph (56kph) and it felt great, like it should always go this fast. :) The bars are very comfortable out of the saddle if you hold them right. The frame is very stiff and is unlike anything I've experienced when standing. In the aero position I still have some work to do to get more comfortable and see where my power output is. After the first 10 miles I felt very confident on the bike and am impressed by the handling.

It just looks so much more incredible in person than in the pictures. When I ride it I feel like I'm on a fighter jet more than a bicycle. The bars especially look very agressive and are also rock solid. The whole bike has a very solid, slightly overbuilt feel to it, like you can't break it.

More pictures after my roommate with ugly furniture and a nice camera wakes up, and hopefully soon I'll know my speed at threshold. :-)

KF

by KF

@ Jeffr

try and post pics of your position at www.biketechreview.com those guys know alot about aerodynamics.

Just a thought.
- G. Digital K. Loco

Paulyo

by Paulyo

Totally agree with KF - the guys at biketechreview seem to know their stuff.

I would agree with the posts above regarding your saddle height.

No point having a great bike unless you are set up on it optimally.

Have you read Steve Hogg's articles on cyclingnews.com ? They might help you review your positioning. His website is cyclefitcentre.com .

When you are next out on the bike, try to focus on your hip movements (even get a training partner to ride behind you) and see if you are 'rocking' your hips at all (perhaps a sign of having to 'stretch' to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke).

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Steve Hogg has said (on cyclingnews) a few times that his advice is (basic) advice only, and is case specific. That said, you can get him to do a video fitting of your bike (or you could fly out to Sydney :) - bit chilly at the moment though). It's the kind of thing to do if you seriously want that little bit of extra performance

jeffr

by jeffr

Lots of pictures here :

http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/walser/index.html

You can click them for big ones. They were taken by my roommate with the nice camera and ugly furniture. Sorry I didn't use the garage door, I think the grass is more handsome. :-)

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

The furniture has history and thats what makes it cool.

The bikes even better, so thanks for all the pictures and updates. I've enjoyed reading about your walser adventure Jeff.

Kuiper

by Kuiper

Jeffr,

thanks for sharing the photo's,
you look good on your bike and wish you all the fun /luck and a lot of safe miles riding on it! :thumbup:

Walser stay's my dream time trial bike :wink:

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Jeff, your bike came together wonderfully & looks AWESOME! 8)

The next time I drive through Seattle I will hit you up to let me take it for a spin!

hooker_elite

by hooker_elite

jeffr - didn't see that you were from Seattle - whereabouts? Its nice to see another weight weenie TTer from Seattle on here.

equinox13

by equinox13

Hi

The first 6 pictures are not working on your website. I get an error message '403 forbidden'. The others pictures are fine, that is a very nice bike and possibly one of the best looking TT bikes ever. How did you get those cranks to fit? I know that the walsers have a narrow bb width an I thought that walser was the only one who supplied cranks for this bike, so does this mean that other cranks could fit?

Rob

Kuiper

by Kuiper

equinox13 wrote:Hi

The first 6 pictures are not working on your website. I get an error message '403 forbidden'. The others pictures are fine, that is a very nice bike and possibly one of the best looking TT bikes ever. How did you get those cranks to fit? I know that the walsers have a narrow bb width an I thought that walser was the only one who supplied cranks for this bike, so does this mean that other cranks could fit?

Rob

Hi Rob,
all the pic's are working for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

Jeffr....... Hot, HOT bike but

does my evil eye spot hair on those legs :faint: