333FAB ISP Ti Road by Max Kullaway

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

This is a new to me 333FAB ISP Ti Road frame hand build by Max Kullaway himself. I gota say I had not heard of 333FAB or Max but who does not know the many big names he has build for ranging from Merlin to Seven and of course Hampsten.

I have been wanting to scratch off a really nice Ti frame from my bucket list, and there has been a few I have considered. But for me I cant get pass most of this newer drastic sloping Top Tubes, also its nice to find a frame that has something a bit unique about it. In this case the ISP and of course the builder Max.

I should get the frame latter this week, in the mean time I'll be sure to keep reading up on 333FAB and Max.

Also I want to add a BIG THANKS to Clean39 for tracking this one down and posting a PSA or I may have missed it.

Im sure I will have more questions and there may be some changes I may want to make to the frame depending on the fit and always looking for some advice on the build.

Below are a few photos from the seller.

Image1

Image10

Image4

Image9

Image5

Image2
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Wait but this doesn't fit you?

AZR3

by AZR3

I’ve got a crush on Ti frames with ISPs, can’t wait for this to get built up!

KarlC

by KarlC

dudemanppl wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 am
Wait but this doesn't fit you?
Usally I can fit 54-56 depending on the bike, we shall see with this one.

Still thinking about the fit and if I will need to cut the ISP and want to cut the head tube.

I wonder what size that FSA seatmast topper is ?? (I found this - The SL-K Carbon is designed for integrated 31.6mm seat tubes. It’s made from carbon kevlar composite and stainless/chromoly hardware, is 133m long and weighs 199g. Price TBA.)
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Here she is, BIG head tube and all, I threw some parts at her just to see a quick mock up ......

+'s So Far
- This this is amazingly nice, the quality is over the top and its in excellent condition
- The Frame / Fork Fit 28s no problem
- I slammed the seat mast topper all the way down so I may not need to cut the seat mast.
- Its really light weight

-'s So Far
- That BIG head tube - Not sure about it ...... right now I want to cut it
- The Fit may be a a bit big for me, I will play with it and ride it some and see how I feel
- The Top Tube has a bit more of a slope that I had hoped for.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Theres nothing you can cut with the headtube? Don't build it up, just sell it. It doesn't fit. :/

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Is the fit too long or too tall? Or both?
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

KarlC

by KarlC

dudemanppl wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 pm
Theres nothing you can cut with the headtube? Don't build it up, just sell it. It doesn't fit. :/
Cant see why I could not cut up to 13mm off the top of the headtube ??? :noidea:

Its my 1st try at Ti, so ill have some fun building it and rideing it and we will see from there.
Last edited by KarlC on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

rheosibal wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm
Is the fit too long or too tall? Or both?
Long wise its a 56 and real close to my BMC TMR01, I dont mind the long, the seat mast is a bit tall so I can cut it or try a different topper.

Mosly just the tall head tube that messing with me and a -17 stem helps with that.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

333FAB 56 ISP Frame, Fork uncut and topper

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

locktopus

by locktopus

I'm pretty sure you can't cut a head tube since the head tube would be machined to accept the headset. I dont think you can mill material off the top and then remachine it to accept a head set at a lower point due to the butting profile/tube thickness at that new point.

KarlC

by KarlC

locktopus wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 am
I'm pretty sure you can't cut a head tube since the head tube would be machined to accept the headset. I dont think you can mill material off the top and then remachine it to accept a head set at a lower point due to the butting profile/tube thickness at that new point.
The inside of the headset is smooth and the same diameter from the top to bottem, its just the outside of it that has been milled. They must have started with a larger head tube and then milled away the outside part of the center section.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Why buy a frame that requires such a short stem? I never got the Fredtube and a -17 but that's just me. I'd sell it or return it if possible and move on to something that fits.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

As much as its a nice looking frameset, that geo seems rather funky, if you're trying to get it to fit you.

If you've got a Ti urge, then there's nothing worse to screw your opinion of something, than when it doesn't fit, even if simple measurements seem to tally up.
Dont bother trying to make it work; move it on, and start looking for something more appropriate.
Official cafe stop tester

glepore

by glepore

Don't listen to the haters. Most of these issues are aesthetic. The stem, while certainly short and low, isn't something that's going to be unworkable. The bike is a little large, yeah. But not unrideable. All this assumes that the price was right.

I recently bought a ti bike that was more or less spot on for me other than a tallish headtube and a little mor racy front end than I'm used to, and I've adopted quickly. I'm in the drops more, and like having the stem slammed for a change. Lucky for me my isp uses an external topper. If you do cut the seatube, have a framebuilder do it, or someone with the right guide and tools.
I can email you graphics to have a blackout decal made for the forks if you want, just did a couple sets in reflective black, and it looks slick as cooncrap.

One thing I do have an issue with is Paragon dropouts on short chainstays-with a standard Mavic qr the ds nut jams completelty between the dropout hood edge and the rd knuckle (Campy SR) on wheel insertion. Switching out the qr nut to one with a smaller od from a tune knockoff skewer fixes it, but it's still tight.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com