Kazyole's Cervelo R5 build: 5.7kg and falling

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Hey guys. Long time lurker, just now becoming active on here. So here’s my bike. I bought the R5 frameset in 2015 and had it built up with Ultegra Di2 6770 up until recently, when I decided to treat myself and give it a weightweenies makeover.

Context of why I’m doing this:

Four years ago I went to France on a work trip and stayed a few extra days to do some climbing in the Alps. The bike I brought on the trip was 7.93kg. I was also in bad shape (relatively) at the time. I climbed Alpe d’Huez with two full bottles and a saddlebag on the bike because I’m an idiot. At the time I was just happy to cross the climb off my bucket list, but now I want to go back next year and shave off some considerable time. I already know I can do 20-25% more power over the distance than I did 4 years ago and I’m working on raising that number, but weight is the other obvious opportunity.

With my current frame in its previous configuration, the starting weight was 7102g with Dura Ace C24 9000 clinchers. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so here are the moves I’ve made so far (all real weights):

* Zeros with Ti spindles, bowties, and hardware from Toronto Cycles: 145g
* KMC 11s chain: Weight with all links, 236g
* Omni Racer 11s titanium cassette, 11-28: 118g
* Extralite Hyperstem in -6°, 120mm length: 86g
* Tune Wasserträger cage (x2): 28g
* SRM Origin Powermeter with rechargeable battery and 9100 rings: 637g
* Dura Ace 9150 RD: 197g
* Dura Ace 9150 Shifters: 228g
* Dura Ace 9150 FD: 134g
* Cane Creek EE Brakes: 172g
* Zipp 303 NSW wheels: 1477g. These came in slightly heavier than the C24s, but they’re great for almost all riding conditions, pretty reasonably light for their depth, and I got them for a really good deal. Possible I’ll replace them before the attempt next year, but I’m determined to stick with clinchers for ease of every day use.
* Continental Supersonic tubes: 53g/tube
* Raceware Garmin 810 mount: 15g
* Titanium QR Skewers: 39g

I also added Alligator I links which unfortunately I did not weigh, and moved to fizik super light tape, which I also didn’t weigh.

Additionally I'll save 46g by taking the bell off. But I live in NYC and it’s the law here, so that’s staying on for now.

Remaining weight-saving opportunities:

* Current Seatpost: 3T Stylus LTD: Claimed 154g
* Current Handlebars: 3T Ergonova LTD: Claimed 180g
* Current Saddle: Fizik Arione 00: Claimed 135g
* Current Chainrings: Dura Ace 9100: Estimated 140g
* Current Headunit: Garmin 810, 98g
* Current Headset: Stock FSA headset, weight unknown
* Current Wheels: Zipp 303 NSWs, 1477g

Leading replacement candidates:

* Darimo T1 Carbon seat post: 27.2mm in 300mm length, 75g total, 79g saved.
* Haero Carbon H.145 RR SL handlebars in 40cm, 153g total, 27g saved
* Carbon Ti Chainrings: I already have these, which weigh in at 117g in 50/34. But I have to have my SRM’s lid swapped in order to fit them, 23g estimated savings
* Berk Lupina saddle, unpadded: 70g total, 65g saved
* Wahoo Elemnt Bolt: 62g claimed, 36g saved
* Anti Gravity road wheelset from fairwheel: 1069g claimed, 408g saved (https://fairwheelbikes.com/fairwheel-an ... extralite/)

My most recent weigh-in was 6.3kg including both cages, pedals, a bell, Garmin 810 and Garmin mount. But that was on my rather unreliable home scale. It could easily be off by a hundred grams or more. Hopefully in the good direction. I'll have a more accurate weight taken at the shop once I get those chainrings installed and update this thread.

So theoretically, 5662g is my potential floor with all of those upgrades done. 6070g if I don’t do the wheels.

If any of you have alternative suggestions or see something I've missed, please let me know. I’d love to hear recommendations on headset alternatives and how much I can expect to save there, as I haven’t really done that research yet. Right now it's just the stock FSA headset that came with the frame, and I'm not sure what that weighs. Or anyone who can comment on the comfort difference between the padded and unpadded Berk Lupina. Or anyone who has a different recommendation for a lightweight Arione alternative. Or any other recommendation you can think of to get me sub 6kg without doing the wheels :D

I did a ride up Bear Mountain in NY this weekend and snapped a couple iPhone photos. I'll do better with a real camera once I get those chainrings on and the remaining items purchased and installed. But couldn't resist sharing now that it's most of the way there.

Bonus shot with my dad's R3

Super pleased with the bike after the first real ride. It's really incredible what shaving around a kilogram off an already light bike does to the general feeling of riding it. The thing is an absolute rocketship uphill.
Last edited by Kazyole on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That crank!!! Love it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dereksmalls wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:19 am
That crank!!! Love it
Thanks! I love it so far. Lightweight, functional, and beautiful (at least in my opinion). I think once I get it back with the carbon chainrings on there it'll be the real centerpiece of the build. I've seen a couple origins built with carbon rings and they look killer imo. The weave and finish on the chainrings matches the crank arms really nicely.

I even used the trilobes once. Switched up my crank length to 172.5 for one ride just to see what it was like. Didn't care for it and went straight back to the 170s. It was surprisingly really simple to do. Not sure really how useful it is, but I guess it potentially helps resale, and certainly must simplify their production considerably.

As an update, SRM did the modifications to the lid today and I should have it back by early next week. Turns out those little bits of plastic that help the lid seamlessly meet the 9100 rings aren't structural. They're just glued on. Had I known that I might have attempted it myself. So essentially they just pry them off, clean up the adhesive, and send it back. I'll try to take a good shot of the crank with the carbon chainrings installed when it arrives.

gurk700

by gurk700

Really nice! I had Zipps on my 2015 R5 a year ago. Great wheels but if you're ever in the market for something lighter, I can't recommend Caden Wheels enough. Not well known but not another rebranded wheels for sure. The owner knows and loves his craft!

I went for the Selle Italia C-59. I've been on a Tekno Flow for couple years before switching to C-59 and I can honestly ride all day on both. Hard to beat 59 grams! I'm sure Berk is great too though.

Personally swore off any other chainrings other than Duraace. Extralite and Stronglights worked great on my etap setup but not on duraace.

Anyway great bike but I'm obviously biased as an R5 owner :P

Kazyole

by Kazyole

gurk700 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am
Really nice! I had Zipps on my 2015 R5 a year ago. Great wheels but if you're ever in the market for something lighter, I can't recommend Caden Wheels enough. Not well known but not another rebranded wheels for sure. The owner knows and loves his craft!

I went for the Selle Italia C-59. I've been on a Tekno Flow for couple years before switching to C-59 and I can honestly ride all day on both. Hard to beat 59 grams! I'm sure Berk is great too though.

Personally swore off any other chainrings other than Duraace. Extralite and Stronglights worked great on my etap setup but not on duraace.

Anyway great bike but I'm obviously biased as an R5 owner :P
Thanks! Yeah I wasn't initially thinking of zipps as there are lighter options out there, but they were too good a deal to pass up. That said, after a few rides I really like the wheels. The NSWs are within 100g of my previous wheelset (DA 9000 C24s) which was honestly lighter than I thought they would be. They're noticeably faster on flats, and the braking performance is far better than I'd expected. So for pretty much all rides other than the actual France trip they're going to be better than something super featherweight. The area where I live is a bit lumpy, but it's never really sustained or particularly steep. That said, I may pick up something lighter if a good opportunity presents itself between now and next summer. But for now I'm focused on the few remaining low hanging fruit elsewhere on the bike. (Seatpost, saddle, handlebars) I'd really love to get sub 6kg with the zipps.

The Caden clinchers are interesting though. I'd lose some weight and still have a 38mm rim depth. How do you like the braking on them? I'll have to keep them in mind if I'm getting close to a threshold I really want to cross and run out of other things to do.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

It's back from colorado!

I left the DA rings in my desk at work so I'll be able to update with exactly how much lighter the Carbon Ti rings ended up being later this week. I'm not expecting it to be a ton, but at least aesthetically I just love these things. That extra pop of glossy carbon to match the crank arms really sets the whole bike off imo. I've only been on one ride so far but it was pretty hilly and I didn't notice any kind of real appreciable difference in the shift quality. The rings felt solid all day, which going from DA rings is about as much as you can hope for.

Next up is the Darimo seatpost and maybe a berk lupina. Thinking of doing the post in glossy woven carbon to match the crankset.

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

I'm interested to hear any thoughts about the Omni racer titanium cassette. How's the shifting, durability, etc. Thanks. Great looking ride, btw!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Seedster

by Seedster

Love the SRM Origin with the Ti-Carbon chainrings. These Cervelos look fast standing still.

Good luck with your ride. I hope to get up to bear mountain soon myself.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Sweetbabyj45 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:37 pm
I'm interested to hear any thoughts about the Omni racer titanium cassette. How's the shifting, durability, etc. Thanks. Great looking ride, btw!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thanks! I can't really comment on the durability as of yet. I've only been on a handful of rides since it's been installed and this is my first time trying an omni racer (or any full titanium cassette), but the shifting seems no worse than what I'm used to with shimano. I'm not expecting it to be as durable, but as long as it lasts the year I'm happy. I do wish they made an option that goes up to 30 though.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Seedster wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:52 pm
Love the SRM Origin with the Ti-Carbon chainrings. These Cervelos look fast standing still.

Good luck with your ride. I hope to get up to bear mountain soon myself.
Thanks! I know what you mean. At least aesthetically the previous gen R series are one of my favorite frames. The bike is also helped somewhat by my weird body proportions making it look a bit more pro than I am. I'm around 5'6" so for my overall height I should probably be on a 51, but my legs are abnormally short so I have to ride a 48 to fit for them. Then on top of that my femurs are short proportional to my already short legs, so I ride a 0 offset post with the saddle slammed pretty far forward to get myself in the right spot relative to the bottom bracket. Which means that I'm somewhat far forward with a long torso for the frame size, so I'm on a 120mm stem. So the bike looks decently aggressive, but my actual position on it isn't crazy at all. Probably on the slightly long/low side of normal. Certainly nothing compared to some of the saddle-bar drops I see on here :shock:

I love climbing Bear. Certainly the best sustained climb in the area. Plus the road surface is actually pretty nice and that descent is nice and sweeping. I try to make it up there at least a handful of times per year.

And an update on the build. Currently in contact with Darimo about getting a seatpost fabricated. Thinking of doing a glossy bidirectional weave to match the crankset, with stealthy black logos. I'm right between sizes so they're going to do like a half-size up from 250mm for me :D

buttrash

by buttrash

Kazyole wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm
It's back from colorado!
The SRM comes with little bumps to interface with the 9100 rings, yet they are not present in the pics with the Carbon Ti rings. Are they removable, or did you have to buy a new SRM?

Kazyole

by Kazyole

buttrash wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm
It's back from colorado!
The SRM comes with little bumps to interface with the 9100 rings, yet they are not present in the pics with the Carbon Ti rings. Are they removable, or did you have to buy a new SRM?
Yeah, those little bumps where the SRM interfaces with the 9100 rings were getting in the way of the carbon ti rings so I had to have them removed. Fortunately they're non structural. It's essentially just replacing the "lid" that covers the actual SRM. They did it in like a day once I sent it to them.

If I had been smart enough to buy the SRM directly from SRM I'd have had the option of choosing the flat lid from the beginning. But I bought it from competitivecyclist because I had a coupon code and it came with the 9100 rings already mounted.

Also while I'm updating this thread, the Darimo seatpost has been ordered. Got it in gloss 3k weave to match the PM, with matte black logos. Damià from Darimo has been great about answering my questions and trying to get me the lightest post we can. I was right on the edge of the minimum insertion for the 250mm post, so rather than go up fully to 300mm, we're going to do 280mm which should save me around 4 grams over the 300mm post.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Updates!

Berk Matte UD Lupina with round rails in the 132mm size came in at 72g

Darimo Gloss 3k post in 27.2mm x 280mm (I was right between 250 and 300mm, so they did a custom length to save me a few grams). Came in at 71.6g

Both together on my scale at 144g:

vs my previous configuration, a 3T LTD Stylus and a Fizik Arione 00, weighed together at 302g

And then I've also swapped computers. Previously I was riding with a Garmin 810 and a raceware mount, weighed together at 111g

And now I'm using a wahoo elemnt bolt. Right now it's on a K Edge aero mount at 98g together, but I have a raceware mount ordered that should take another 20g off that.

The saddle:

I went for my first ride today on the Lupina. My first time ever riding a completely unpadded carbon saddle. Just a quick easy little 15 mile spin. I had to do a little fore-aft adjustment on the fly to account for the difference in geometry between the Lupina and the Arione, but after pushing it about half a centimeter forward I'm really excited about how it feels. There's a good amount of flex in there and it feels like it's supporting me in the right places. At least on a short ride, it's no less comfortable than the Arione 00. I'll take some longer rides this weekend and evaluate from there if I need to make any more changes to the position.

And as an added side benefit, it seems like the cutout has a slightly cooling effect on my...downstairs region. It was an unexpected and welcome surprise on a hot day to have a little bit of air circulating down there.

The weight:

Weighed at the bike shop at 6093g in its current configuration, minus the bell. Weight includes both cages wahoo mount and headunit. everything that would be on the bike for a ride, minus the actual bottles. Should be 6083g once the raceware mount gets in. Less than 100g to go to break into the 5s!

What's left to do:

In my mind, there are a few more things I want to do before I start considering swapping the wheels for something lighter.

1. New handlebars. Looking at the Haero Carbon H.145 RR SL, which should save me around 27-30g. Alternatively I'm considering the Zipp SL 70 Aero road bars, which weigh more than my current setup but are probably the better all around choice, being worth apparently around 7 watts vs a traditional round bar. Since I'm trying to build a light all-around bike, this seems like the sensible thing to do. The 3T aeronova could be an option as well that's a bit lighter, but I'm a bit worried about how long they are.

2. Less bar tape. Right now I'm wrapped the whole way up, but realistically I hardly spend any time on the tops so that's some free weight right there. And if I go with the Zipp bars that will help offset some of the weight gain vs my current configuration.

3. Carbon bar plugs. Going to hold off until I decide what I'm doing with the bars. Right now they're just the stock ones that came with my bartape. No idea what they weigh, but probably too much.

4. Lighter QR skewers. I've already got lightweight titanium skewers but I could go to the Tune U20 skewers and save another 20g or so.

5. Headset. I have a lightweight top cap, but I could start looking into at least lighter upper bearings. Open to suggestions here, as I haven't done any research on that front as of yet.

Also now that it's nice out and I'm riding longer distances, It's time for me to stop using the storage bottle and look into a nice minimal saddlebag solution. I hear good things about the Apidura Expedition Tool Pack, which right now is my leading option.

Will take some good pics of the full build to post on my next ride.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Alright, took some better pics yesterday on my ride:

Second ride on the Lupina was a lot more comfortable now that I've got the fore-aft in the right spot. I was concerned at first with a full carbon saddle that I'd be sliding all over the place on it, but the matte carbon finish seems to be enough to avoid that problem.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what my next moves are to hit that sub 6kg mark

Wookski

by Wookski

This is really great work- well done.

Wheel wise i’d recommend some ultralight Tubulars, especially if you’re planning on spending some time in the alps. My ax/ extralite wheels weigh in at 760g for the pair and have been to hell and back, I can’t praise them enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com