Canyon Evo. Now 4.855 kg. New Photos Page 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Seedster

by Seedster

Awesome build. Super light without sacrificing practicality. All of these builds have me very close to ordering a THM crank for my Protos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

REGICYCLE wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 am
Sweet bike and an awesome weight!
I dont think those tans look too bad at all.
Thanks. I can't decide tbh. One moment I think they're growing on me, next I think they've got to be changed. I'll post a pic with my Schmolke wheels on later - can't go wrong with black on black...

da123

by da123

Seedster wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 pm
Awesome build. Super light without sacrificing practicality. All of these builds have me very close to ordering a THM crank for my Protos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I've never had the SE Clavicula before, but the Classic was a lovely bit of kit. They've improved the installation process a lot as well, meaning you no longer have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and smack it horribly hard with a rubber mallet...

There's nothing original at all on the build, but its hopefully all practical stuff like you say. My only worry (without having ridden it yet) is the saddle. There's a huge amount of flex in it, to the point I'm concerned about sitting on it. I've had an AX Phoenix before, but that felt a hell of lot more solid than this one.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm
My only worry (without having ridden it yet) is the saddle. There's a huge amount of flex in it, to the point I'm concerned about sitting on it. I've had an AX Phoenix before, but that felt a hell of lot more solid than this one.
I have 2 berk saddles, they weigh a bit more than yours, maybe because mine are wider (still around 75g each) and I've had no issues with them at all, using one for almost a year now.

Seriously looking into this frame as my next.
Speedplay is the devil!

da123

by da123

mdeth1313 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 pm
da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm
My only worry (without having ridden it yet) is the saddle. There's a huge amount of flex in it, to the point I'm concerned about sitting on it. I've had an AX Phoenix before, but that felt a hell of lot more solid than this one.
I have 2 berk saddles, they weigh a bit more than yours, maybe because mine are wider (still around 75g each) and I've had no issues with them at all, using one for almost a year now.

Seriously looking into this frame as my next.
Cheers, that’s re-assuring. Did your Berk saddles have a lot of flex?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 pm
Cheers, that’s re-assuring. Did your Berk saddles have a lot of flex?
Yes, a lot more than the ax-lightness endurance saddles I used before.
Speedplay is the devil!

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Wow, SUPERBIKE!!

da123

by da123

Couple more photos with the Schmolke wheelset
C14FF052-C114-4FCC-9AD4-1F758B06A6A4.jpeg
CAF6FF06-1008-4F9C-B033-BA61785CA153.jpeg

jdc5r

by jdc5r

keen to hear your experience on the schmolke wheels/rims once you ride them more.

da123

by da123

jdc5r wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm
keen to hear your experience on the schmolke wheels/rims once you ride them more.
I’ve already put around 500 miles on them on my Madone.

They came in over specified weight at 1215g

The Good:

Lovely light and sprightly feel. Good on the climbs. Nice wide rim bed means 23mm tyres come up well from aero perspective. Feel fast on the flat, provided not too windy. Decent stiffness despite the low weight.

The Average:

Braking is reasonable. Not up to Zipp / ENVE standards. I got judder using Lightweight pads, but fine with Black Prince.

They do get pushed around in the wind. I have ridden them in 20 mph winds, and whilst not dangerous, they weren’t rock solid either. Not as scary as my Lightweights, but not up to the most advanced wheels either.

Comfort is okay. Not as effective at cutting out road chatter as my LWs, but better than my ENVE 4.5s.

The other stuff:

The finish is function over form. I like it, but some might think it lacks sophistication.

Durability is unknown. However I’ve had a lot of Schmolke stuff and it has all lasted.

da123

by da123

First Ride Report

So, managed a 75 mile ride on Sunday. Mixed terrain with a few flat bits, some longish drags and one steep climb. As to be expected for the UK, lots of terrible filling shaking road surfaces as well.

Impressions for those interested are:

Ride : saddle / seatpost comfort is excellent. Much better than my old Ultimate, and better than my Madone. How much of this is the saddle and how much is Canyon's clamping design, I've no idea. Front end comfort is on a par with the old Ultimate, can't tell any difference here. Overall though, it is a lovely, non-fatiguing experience.

Stiffness : no complaints here. It doesn't feel noticeably different at the BB than my old Ultimate (which is plenty stiff enough for me). Head tube stiffness is similarly good.

Handling : the geo of this Ultimate is slightly different to my old one, and this is noticeable on the road. It is a more aggressive ride, though not by a massive amount. It handles very well, although I still prefer the Madone in the bends. What it does have (which the Madone doesn't), is a lovely lively and spritely feel. The Madone (like a lot of out and out aero bikes I guess) feels a bit wooden in comparison.

Aero / Speed : In this guise, the bike feels like it rolls very well and maintains speed easily on the flat. I suspect a large part of this is the wheels / tyres / tubes. It is not an 'aero' bike however and I have no doubt that for 95% of the riding I do, my Madone will be quicker overall. It certainly doesn't feel slow on descents or an effort on the flat however, which I was a bit concerned about given the low weight.

Climbing : I won't say 'effortless', cos climbing is always an effort, but this is where the bike excels, as you'd expect. shallow draggy climbs, steep climbs - your perceived effort is just less on a 5kg bike, and you feel like you can hold a gear and keep spinning rather than changing down more often and for longer than 'usual'.

Groupset : Never had Etap before, and not a SRAM fan by any stretch. Pleasantly surprised though. Didn't notice the 'slower' rear shift speed, and it wasn't noisy. Front shifting doesn't match Di2, but I suspect I haven't got it set perfectly yet. I enjoyed using the climbing blips, although I'd not got them perfectly positioned. I found shifting when holding the hoods out of the saddle on climbs easier than with Di2, I guess cos of the larger shifter paddle.

Kit : Special mention to the BERK Lupina saddle, which is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. Shaped like an Aspide, it has a lot more flex. I'm familiar with Schmolke bars and seatposts, and these performed exactly how I'd expect. No issues here. The cranks were similarly in the category of 'did their job such that I didn't notice them' on the ride (apart from the contribution to the low weight). Ditto the brakes.

Wheels / Tyres : the Pirelli tyres are fast feeling and grippy (at least in the dry). They feel pretty supple too. To be expected for what is a TT tyre of course. My thoughts on the Schmolke wheels are noted in a previous post.

da123

by da123

Now confirmed on a scale:
9CA1D7CB-7944-4FA2-8F88-D0496703CA72.jpeg
DADC7BEF-99B6-4DA3-A3F2-6CCBA1B4EDDE.jpeg

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 am
Almost done. The tyres don’t really work with the colour scheme, but they were what was on the wheels. I have some Corsa Speeds with the black sidewalls which I’ll probably use.

Once pedals are added, should be 4.9kg ish.
Why would you put Corsa Speeds on? Corsa Speeds are TT tires... not very good for riding, other than TT's and really not good in the rain.

da123

by da123

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm
da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 am
Almost done. The tyres don’t really work with the colour scheme, but they were what was on the wheels. I have some Corsa Speeds with the black sidewalls which I’ll probably use.

Once pedals are added, should be 4.9kg ish.
Why would you put Corsa Speeds on? Corsa Speeds are TT tires... not very good for riding, other than TT's and really not good in the rain.
I don’t agree that they’re ‘not very good for riding’. It comes down to where and when you ride them and what your tolerance is for wear. I agree they aren’t good in the wet, but neither are the Lightweights, so I don’t ride them in the rain. In the dry and with sealant they are very fast, very supple and tolerably puncture resistant. The lack of durability is a compromise I’m prepared to make.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Beauty of a bike. If I didn’t say it earlier, this is impressive.

Quick question about your Jagwire Elite Link brake cables. How do you like them? I’m looking to replace my creaky Aicans. This set lasted a year before creaking. The prev set didn’t last much longer, ugh. Like you, I’m on a S / XS frame and I worry about a Yokozuna Reaction making the tight bend to my rear EE.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com