CAAD12 Black Inc. Di2 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

djel

by djel

First ever build post on WW! I found a brand new frameset on Craigslist for ~ $500 USD and decided to build a crit bike to start racing for next season. The seller broke the frame of his touring bike and Cannondale could only offer him a Black inc! He couldn't be bothered by the frame and sold it the next day.

The part list is not 100% final (seatpost and saddle mostly) and I have yet to receive some parts. I had a decent deal on the R8050 Ultegra Di2 groupset and I will be using a bar end junction box to clean-up the cockpit. Crankset will be Rotor 3D+ matched with a power2max NGeco PM and Praxis chainrings. I'm assembling everything myself and it's a learning experience. I want to keep the build under 6.8kg but it's going to be hard...it's not a light frame and I was planning to purchase 40-55mm clinchers to replace my 38mm...

I'll update the topic once I receive the remaining Di2 parts I need to start the build.

partial list

Frame is 1,180g size 54 including seatpost clamp and hanger
Fork is 287g uncut

Most of parts

Crank with original spider is 502g which I found quite heavy, but it was much cheaper than going with SiSL2

Found a brand new 3T Aeronova LTD with matching steam (from a take-off) for $200 on Craigslist
I'll post more details about the Di2 routing next week, but I connected the 2 shifters together, 1 cable from junction box to shifter and 1 long cable from shifter to BB

The frame is Di2 ready which means you still have holes for gear cables. I'm trying to find a solution but didn't find one so far...any suggestion?
Last edited by djel on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigDog

by BigDog

Looking forward to seeing how this finished!

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Going to enjoy watching this develop!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

AyBee

by AyBee

Looking forward to seeing this built up - not a fan of the Rotor crankset though - heavy and not very good looking IMO.

riggsy

by riggsy

djel wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 pm
The frame is Di2 ready which means you still have holes for gear cables. I'm trying to find a solution but didn't find one so far...any suggestion?
you can get a grommet set (part #K32048 / Shift And Brake Grommets)
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 18-p333238
Cannondale CAAD12 Disc
Cinelli Experience
Specialized Langster s/s hack

:popcorn:

djel

by djel

I ordered the Hylix seatpost but it will take a while before I receive it. It's unfortunate as I want to do a bike fit asap to dial in my position and cut the steerer. I might try to find a generic 25.4mm seatpost locally just to get the position dialed in. I'm planning to get a Specialized saddle but I had my sitbones measured and I need something wide (155-160mm). I want to try a few models but I will start with the new Power Arc model even though it's somewhat heavy at ~200g.

AyBee wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Looking forward to seeing this built up - not a fan of the Rotor crankset though - heavy and not very good looking IMO.
Ah! I like the look but I agree it's heavy :mrgreen: Unfortunately, this build is full of compromises as I didn't want to break the bank on this frame.
riggsy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm
you can get a grommet set (part #K32048 / Shift And Brake Grommets)
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 18-p333238
Life saver!! Do you know if there's a cap to cover the hole under the bottom bracket? There's one (overpriced) option on shapeways but I don't think there's an OE option.

djel

by djel

I've received the power2max PM tonight and I'm shocked at how heavy it is..311g...!!! I'll weight the components individually later this week and for sure, the rings are not lightweight..but still!

djel

by djel

I'm confused...

I purchased a 5mm SuperSix dust cover KP253 but it doesn't sit perfectly flush as opposed to the part that the frame shipped with.

jinnie799 uses the same part on it's CAAD12 Black inc (viewtopic.php?t=147461)

What's different??

ggman

by ggman

Subscribed - Looking forward to seeing the final weight. I'm doing my own CAAD12 Black Inc. build also.
2017 CAAD12 Black Inc (budget-ish build in planning stage https://goo.gl/Mh4PZg)

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Really nice. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Also, upgrade those tubes yo. Continental supersonics. $30 and you can save yourself 100g.

djel

by djel

Not much progress this week as I'm still waiting for a longer 1400mm di2 cable. I've installed the bar end junction box and set-up the levers. Crankset is assembled and it's heavy...750g. I might change the rings for something lighter eventually but it'll have to do for now.

Kazyole wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 am
Really nice. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Also, upgrade those tubes yo. Continental supersonics. $30 and you can save yourself 100g.
The tires and the tubes will be replaced later this summer. I'll go for Corsa G+ but they're a bit on the heavy side though. I'll read a bit about these tubes, thanks!

djel

by djel

slow progress as I had difficulties sourcing the little parts like the grommets...

It's 90% completed as it is...just waiting to install the chain, adjust the gears and set the position. After I get a fit I will cut the steerer to its final length.

I decided to inverse the brake cables purely for esthetic reasons; I prefer when the cable crosses in front of the head tube. I find it cleaner and there’s no rub at all. I will set the heat shrink once I’m sure I won’t move the cables again.

(front brakes not adjusted yet)

(temporary saddle)

Kesselflicker

by Kesselflicker

Hi,

i use the Bor Chainrings with my p2m NGeco.

http://bor-germany.de/de/product/100-2x ... 8-50-52-53

Not expansive, good shifting Performance, and for my Power (300W FTP, no Sprinter) stiff, good Classic looking
209ADCD6-C031-4738-8162-DDBD2F500AA8.jpeg
Sorry, bad pic :?

djel

by djel

Almost completed! I've a fit scheduled for this Friday and once it's done, I'll cut the steerer, install the bar tape and possibly change the saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

pretty cool building! How do you feel about the handlebar, I think the reach of it is too large