2018 Scott Genius Tuned

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Hi guys,
Wasn't planning on having a build thread for this one since it's not primarily a weightweenie project, but I've been getting quite a few requests about it so here we go. It'll be light of course, just not pushing that aspect into the extreme.

Based on a 2018 Scott Genius Tuned frame set, this will be my "ride everything" bike. It'll be built with 29" wheels and used for everything from easy trail riding to full on lift assisted downhill.
With the new 150mm frame and more enduro-like geometry than what people consider trail, I think it's going to work out great. Just change tires sometimes depending on terrain and it should be a fun bike to ride.

My main goal with this build is pretty much just to build a really unique, great looking and fun to ride mountainbike. So the biggest challenge will be cleaning the cockpit up going from 6 cables to 3-4 depending on how well my plans work out. There is also a couple of cool custom made parts on the horizon for this, we'll see.
Then of course I'll do a lot of work to make the bike look the way I want it to.

If you follow me on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/dangerholm/) you've already seen quite a bit but I'll try and bring this thread up to speed right away.

Genius Tuned size Large, with Fox 36 fork and the new Syncros Hixon iC SL combo weighing just 291g. Frame was plenty overweight, coming in at close to 2400g compared to the claimed 2249g. Still a respectable weight since it's including shock and all frame hardware, but every weightweenie knows the feeling of disappointment when putting something on the scale and see a completely different number. :roll:

Spent a lot of time considering what wheels to use but I ended up with these ones that was my dream option pretty much from the start.
Duke Fury Jack carbon rims featuring a quite massive 32mm inner width, laced to polished Carbon Ti X-Hub SP with silver Sapim CX-Ray. 1512g with valves and tape and should hold up for pretty much everything I can put them through. These pics doesn't do them justice, looks amazing.

For brakes, I've been blown away by the performance of my Trickstuff Piccolas so I decided to try the Direttissimas for the Genius. In full silver, you can start to see the theme here for the bike. Super curious about how these performs, there was a test with these and pretty much every other 4-piston brake out there and the Direttissimas was too powerful for the test rig to even get a comparable value. Haven't decided discs yet, but probably Formulas.

Been beginning the work of making the Fox fork a bit better looking!

Lots of things to come, so I hope you'll enjoy this thread wether you're into this kind of bikes or not.
Cheers!
/Gustav "Dangerholm" Gullholm

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Ah, it's finally time! I knew the author immediately after looking at the topic name 😉 Subscribed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Super Brad

by Super Brad

Wooah. This is one to watch!
Nice work dude

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks guys!

The shifting system will be based on a XTR Di2 derailleur with a SW-R600 road shifter. This is just plug and play, but got some unique plans on how to integrate it to the bike. And no, it won't just be the regular hidden cable in the handlebar and steerer. :wink:

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Any build updates?

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Gullholm wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm
Thanks guys!

The shifting system will be based on a XTR Di2 derailleur with a SW-R600 road shifter. This is just plug and play, but got some unique plans on how to integrate it to the bike. And no, it won't just be the regular hidden cable in the handlebar and steerer. :wink:

I use the same mech and shifter........I've also intergrated the battery into my handlebars, but not done anything unique with the shifter though. But my mech cable is 1600mm part internal with the external part being braided for added security

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working long days for two weeks straight and then I got knocked out by the flu, so not much progress made.

The lowers are now ready for polishing, they've been sanded two more times with finer grit paper after this picture was taken. Then it's time to do the crown and after that I'm just waiting for Hopp Carbon Parts air cap and lever.

For this bike I wanted a bit bigger range than my normal 10-42T that I run on my xc-bikes, so I went for the 10-46T Garbaruk option. Good price and light weight, so will be interesting to try out.

I can also give you ww-guys the news that the plan has changed and I won't run the Syncros combo after all, but a custom made handlebar with dedicated internal routing. I'd like to get an Intend Trail stem, since it simply looks the best and is quite light of course, but no delivery until end of May so we'll see.

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

Gullholm wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working long days for two weeks straight and then I got knocked out by the flu, so not much progress made.

The lowers are now ready for polishing, they've been sanded two more times with finer grit paper after this picture was taken. Then it's time to do the crown and after that I'm just waiting for Hopp Carbon Parts air cap and lever.

For this bike I wanted a bit bigger range than my normal 10-42T that I run on my xc-bikes, so I went for the 10-46T Garbaruk option. Good price and light weight, so will be interesting to try out.

I can also give you ww-guys the news that the plan has changed and I won't run the Syncros combo after all, but a custom made handlebar with dedicated internal routing. I'd like to get an Intend Trail stem, since it simply looks the best and is quite light of course, but no delivery until end of May so we'll see.
WOW Garbaruk! I known this brothers in real life. They comming from morocycles.

scant

by scant

yaaaaaay! :D I somehow missed this thread, I was 1 of the many that asked you for a build thread after following & enjoying your scale & spark thread :D so thanks Gullholm :)
I think creating a lightweight longer travel/burlier rig is AS impressive as a hardtail or short travel XC bike, purely as most people expect XC bikes to be lightweight, but they dont expect bikes like this to be light! my 165mm rig weighs 26.9lb with dropper post & 820g tyres, sure thats not light by weightweenie standards, but when your friends similiar travel/tyre bikes are 32lbs & get ridden on the same trails, thats a noticeable difference!

Gullholm is there something you dont like about the syncros combo?

I've been considering the 11-50 garbaruk cassette for a while (my sunrace is a boat anchor...but 1/3 the cost & I log a lot of miles), so I'll be very curious to hear how you get on with garbaruk longer term.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Hardstyle wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm
WOW Garbaruk! I known this brothers in real life. They comming from morocycles.
Nice, they're really great guys and super easy to deal with. I came in contact with them first on my previous builds when I needed a custom chain ring and they pretty much just said "Sure, no problem!". So both me and all my friends run their chain rings already and going to be interesting to try their cassette.
scant wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 am
yaaaaaay! :D I somehow missed this thread, I was 1 of the many that asked you for a build thread after following & enjoying your scale & spark thread :D so thanks Gullholm :)
I think creating a lightweight longer travel/burlier rig is AS impressive as a hardtail or short travel XC bike, purely as most people expect XC bikes to be lightweight, but they dont expect bikes like this to be light! my 165mm rig weighs 26.9lb with dropper post & 820g tyres, sure thats not light by weightweenie standards, but when your friends similiar travel/tyre bikes are 32lbs & get ridden on the same trails, thats a noticeable difference!

Gullholm is there something you dont like about the syncros combo?

I've been considering the 11-50 garbaruk cassette for a while (my sunrace is a boat anchor...but 1/3 the cost & I log a lot of miles), so I'll be very curious to hear how you get on with garbaruk longer term.
Thanks man, appreciate the support! :beerchug:
Not sure yet how light this one will be, but depending on pedals and tires I'm guessing somewhere around or below 12kg/26,5lbs. So no records broken exactly but I'll be very happy with a weight like that for a 29" bike I can basically ride everything from easy trails to downhill weekends on with no worries. You got a light bike considering that travel though!

No actually I really like it a lot, both weight and looks are great. But having a dedicated internal cable routing makes some things a bit easier, and this will be quite cool in the end too.
My plan with the Syncros combo was to drill the inside of the stem for the cable to exit into the steerer, since that's a low stress area I'd do that with no worries but I'd never drill them at the shifter. So my only option would've been to run for example ESI grips and run the cable under the grip and into the end of the bar. But with a custom handlebar I can run any grips I want so will be easier to setup.

So I'll probably keep the Syncros combo for a while, I don't know when or for what bike but I'd like to use it some day.

I've only seen a few short words here and there about the cassette but it's been positive, so I definitely think it'd be worth a try for you! Price/weight is pretty much unbeatable, especially for a 10-50.

scant

by scant

Gullholm, thanks for the info :thumbup: I'm guessing you wont be paint stripping the frame this time?

do you know what seatpost you are going to use? coming from a rigid carbon seatpost to a dropper post is a painful weight gain, but de rigueur on a bike like this..?. the yep uptimizer st & the ks carbon lev are both comparatively light weight. thats one area i could still drop some weight

looking forward to future updates :)

Gullholm

by Gullholm

scant wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm
Gullholm, thanks for the info :thumbup: I'm guessing you wont be paint stripping the frame this time?

do you know what seatpost you are going to use? coming from a rigid carbon seatpost to a dropper post is a painful weight gain, but de rigueur on a bike like this..?. the yep uptimizer st & the ks carbon lev are both comparatively light weight. thats one area i could still drop some weight

looking forward to future updates :)
I definitely want to strip it, only real reason for being hesitant about it is that the job itself sucks haha. I'd like to strip it but add some color this time. Just to make it different from the others and also the bike will be used quite often for riding photos etc and it'd be nice to make it stand out in the woods. So we'll see.

I have a Fox Transfer Factory 150mm on order, to match the fork and rear shock. Definitely not the lightest, but this time I went for looks over weight. :lol:

Here's the fork crown after the last round of sanding (1200 grit paper), next step is the fun part - polishing.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

This is sick!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

mannequinforce wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 am
This is sick!
Thanks, that's the plan. :lol:

Crown is now finished, turned out really nice.

scant

by scant

I've toyed with paint stripping many times, but I dont have the spare time & I imagine its 1 of those jobs that as soon as you start; you cant wait for it to end!

nice work on the fork crown.

the transfer is a good post, i've been using one for a while now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com