Cannondale Supersix 2008

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

Ever since I started reading (and posting on) WW, build threads have been my favourite part of the whole site, and now I get to do my own! :D
I'm but a poor high school kid so this won't be the fanciest build, and seeing as I have my current bike to ride in the mean time, this is going to be a long slow one.
After a bit longer than 24 hours of delivering, this intereseting looking package turned up courtesy of John on ebay.
And inside... a Cannondale supersix (not evo, nor hi-mod) from 2008 in size 56. It was Cannondale's first full carbon model, although it has much in common with the carbon part of the SystemSix.
It's not light even for a ten year-old frame, but this is my first full carbon anything, so I'd rather it were nice and solid than super feathery. I'm already treating it as if it were made of glass as it is!
Frame weight with BB and headset bearings, dunno how close it is bare to the claimed 1050g (and my scale is only accurate to 2g):
The fork is quite light though, spot on claimed weight:
Some hardware that came with the frame.
Top cap and thrust ring thingy:
Four headset spacers weigh 10 grams, so the one I'll use is about 2.5:
This Cannondale Si (really fsa) expander is pretty heavy, got a JRC superlight one on the spreadsheet:
As I said, this will be a slow burner and most of the parts I have planned I either don't have yet, or are on the bike below and I don't have pics of the weights:
But here are a few parts that I do have pics for.
Ritchey wcs neo-classic bars:
Kalloy Uno stem 100mm -7, might not use this exact one depending on fit, but it'll be this model of stem:
Selle Italia slr flow with vanox rails (whatever that means):
Phew! What a lot of pictures. I've got other things like wheels and tyres etc. but they're a faff to weigh all the bits individually.
I'm already on the hunt for parts, so updates to follow soon (-ish).
All comments and criticisms appreciated.
TheMidge
Last edited by themidge on Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by 573

Great stuff - good luck with the build.

Have you bought the lighter top-cap / expander yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Not yet, but it's this one.
Seeing as my old front derailleur has the wrong size clamp, I'll need their front derailleur clamp and a braze on front derailleur.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I use the same expander, it has more points of contact and seems more robust than the Ultrastar

Working well so far
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

themidge

by themidge

Here's the provisional build list. I don't have quite a few of the parts yet, so the scale weight column especially is rather sparse and both of the total weights are slightly meaningless, but I might as well show what I've got eh? :D
Sorry it's a bit blurry, I had to combine three screenshots.
A few clarifications:
  • The front derailleur will be 10 speed, ideally dura ace 7900 as they're pretty cheap used.
  • The weight for the cranks is for some SI ones with spider but without rings (found the weight on WW in fact)
  • Those Ciamillo brakes might be wishful thinking, they're quite rare. Feel free to recommend any other light (and cheapish!)
    brakes.
  • I'm on the lookout for some used dura ace or ultegra pedals, they aren't the lightest but I like shimano's system.

jrccomponents
in the industry

by jrccomponents

Looking forward to seeing it finished :D

The main things that stand out to me for weight saving on your current spec would be the bottle cages, could be an easy 60 gram~ saving

Kalloy uno stem is always a great call, really good value for money.

Any queries about our expander or fd clamps please feel free to hit me up here!
Josh

themidge

by themidge

Thanks jrc :D
Yeah, these elite bottle cages are super good at holding bottles, but they are pretty weighty too. I must say I don't really know much about bottle cages, so if anyone has any light and strong recommendations that won't break the bank, I'm all ears.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

themidge wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm
I must say I don't really know much about bottle cages, so if anyone has any light and strong recommendations that won't break the bank, I'm all ears.
You can either get CF cages in 20g range from Ali/eBay (cheap) or 5g CarbonWorks for €60. Of course there's also a bunch of options inbetween, like Tune Wasserträger 2.0 (11g).

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I got my UD carbon fiber cages on ebay. 2 cages for $22 shipped to my door. I think it took 10 days from China, but they are fantastic. 15g each and have yet to loose a bottle.

Here is a link to a bunch:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw= ... 2749.l2658

themidge

by themidge

Thanks Bianchi10, those look like a good bet to lighten things up a bit. I'm going to stay with my current bottle cages for now as I want to keep initial expences somewhat under control (although I did just splurge on some Ciamillos! They were too much of a bargain to pass up), the little things do start to add up. They've gone on the upgrade sheet though (below). If you can't already tell I'm enjoying being super organised with this :D. Who knew spreadsheets could be so fun!

themidge

by themidge

Well, I've got some brakes now. I found some Ciamillo negative G's for a pretty good price on Fleabay and jumped on them, shout out to Axel from Germany! :D
I just love the industrial yet elegant look of these calipers, enough to stem the tide of disk brakes for years to come!
They're about as light as one can get without spending £1.1K on fibulas, so they should last me forever, or until they break (hehe see what I did there). The total for the whole set is still above the 200g mark, which I'd like to pass. Perhaps the shoes and pads are letting me down, I dunno, they're still ~100g lighter than DA9100 :D .

EDIT: I forgot to weigh the calipers with the bolts as they didn't come with any, so +8g for the ones off my old b'twin brakes.

themidge

by themidge

Another update, things are starting to come together quite quickly :D. Although I think cranks will take me a looong time to put together (if anyone has any cannondale SI or SL cranks (nothing too fancy) or associated parts they'd be willing to part with...)
My venerable Mavic aksium rear wheel's freehub gave up the ghost the other day, so I needed a new wheel and as luck would have it, a friend had an old pair of dura ace 7900 c24 clinchers in his garage :beerchug:
Skewers are a bit weighty:
But the wheels themselves are nice and light, 1400g for the pair:
Paired with veloflex master 25c tyres @ 420g and regular innertubes (~100g each) gives me a fairly light set :D:
Cassette weighs 300g exactly by calculation, so I could save weight there, maybe save that expense for 11 speed.
Total weight should be around 2444g, not so bad. I've saved about 450g compared to the mavics :D.
Last edited by themidge on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

themidge wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Another update, things are starting to come together quite quickly :D. Although I think cranks will take me a looong time to put together (if anyone has any cannondale SI or SL cranks (nothing too fancy) or associated parts they'd be willing to part with...)
Some well priced SI cranks on ebay at the moment. Worth having a look. Really great cranks, love mine!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

PinaRene

by PinaRene

themidge wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 pm
Skewers are a bit weighty:
But the wheels themselves are nice and light, 1400g for the pair:
Paired with veloflex master 25c tyres @ 420g and regular innertubes (~100g each) gives me a fairly light set :D:
Cassette weighs 300g exactly by calculation, so I could save weight there, maybe save that expense for 11 speed.
Total weight should be around 2244g, not so bad. I've saved about 650g compared to the mavics :D.
According to my calculations you get around ± 2444 grams ... 124 ( QR ) + 1400 ( Wheels ) + 420 ( Tires ) + 200 ( Inner tubes ) + 300 ( Cassette ) = 2444 Grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

You're right, I forgot to add the tubes! Now fixed, thanks for putting me right :D .