S-Works Tarmac SL6 2018 Chameleon Green "Galaxy"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Jian81

by Jian81

Just wanted to share with you guys my new steed for 2018!
The S-Works Tarmac SL6 Chameleon Green which i nicknamed her "Galaxy", Supercaz STAR fade, Mavic COSMIC, frame paint gives me a very "spacey" looking vibe with the purple to green sparkly colour transition, so you know...
Was very fortunate to be able to pick up the last sz56 frameset from my LBS in this colourway (apparently a sz56 is very rare in Asia) and with a 10% off!

Anyway, here's the build list and photos:
ImageIMG_3404
Forgive me for the uncut fork, will be doing it soon! =)
ImageIMG_3405
ImageIMG_3406
ImageIMG_3407
ImageIMG_3410
ImageIMG_3412

Frame : S-Works Tarmac SL6 Chameleon Green Sz: 56, 870g(Frame only with bottle cage bolts, rear d hangar etc)
Groupset : Sram Red Etap
Rear D: Ridea Oversized 18-18t Ceramic Pulley RD (89g)
Brakeset: Dura Ace DM brakes (308g, pair)
Pedals : Speedplay Zero (with aftermarket Ti spindles) (160g)
Crankset : Sram Red Crank Arm BB386+ Quarq Dzero Powermeter Spider(122g) + Praxis Buzz Road Chainrings 52/36
Wheelset : Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SLC 40mm (1560g, including rim tape) + LifeLine Titanium Skewers(43g) + Conti Supersonic Tubes
Cassette : Sram Red XG-1190
Handlebar : Zipp SL70 Aero (240g)
Bartape : Supacaz Star Fade Neon Yellow (46g)
Stem : Zipp Speed SL 100mm (126g)
Saddle : Fizik Antares R1 (160g)
Cages : Enve Carbon Cages (20g each)

Weight : 6.84kg (with pedals, bottle cages etc)

Overall weight wise im pretty satisfied but could probably cut more weight with a lighter wheelset (Damn Mavic and their highly inaccurate advertised weights, had a near +100g deviation).
The powermeter crankset in total gave me a weight penalty of around 150g as compared to using a regular Sram Red BB30 crankset. But I really the appreciate the value of training with a powermeter.

Aesthetic wise, IMO, Specialized have really nailed their 2018 frame paint jobs. Unique and elegant. Pictures really don't do justice to the Chameleon frames as the colour transition is not really evident. Extremely satisfied with this colourway and it stands out from the rest.

So far i have only ridden for 200km or so, will give a more updated review of it once i have ridden more and when my fit has also been dialed in, but so far its looking really impressive!
Last edited by Jian81 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jian81

by Jian81

Still trying to figure out this photo posting system, my first time! sorry!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AyBee

by AyBee

Looks great, but not convinced by the huge jockey wheel I'm afraid.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Conratulations on a really(!) good looking build. If the reviews are accurate you are in for a great ride on your new S-Works. Personally, I get a very strong "The Matrix" vibe from that colorway :-)

On the Cosmics I had the same inaccurate weight experience but managed to take out 40g just from switching the original rim tape with some Schwalbe High Pressure (tubeless) rime tape. Brought the total weight down to 1511g. Also I use Vredestein Latex in mine as these are a bit lighter than the Conti SS ones.

Jian81

by Jian81

AyBee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm
Looks great, but not convinced by the huge jockey wheel I'm afraid.
Haha yes but i managed to get mine at a pretty good deal(half the price of Ceramic Speed and almost equally smooth), whether or not it is a truly effective tool i cannot confirm. Just from visual observation and "feel"(may be very much psychological), it does indeed spin smoother but marginal. Also, its kinda therapeutic just watching the drive train spin freely while on the bike stand when you have nothing else to do :lol:

Jian81

by Jian81

happyon2wheels wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm
Conratulations on a really(!) good looking build. If the reviews are accurate you are in for a great ride on your new S-Works. Personally, I get a very strong "The Matrix" vibe from that colorway :-)

On the Cosmics I had the same inaccurate weight experience but managed to take out 40g just from switching the original rim tape with some Schwalbe High Pressure (tubeless) rime tape. Brought the total weight down to 1511g. Also I use Vredestein Latex in mine as these are a bit lighter than the Conti SS ones.
Yeah will definitely swap the rim tape out the next time i do a tyre swap or something, pretty tempted to replace it with a set of BC Fletchwerk wheels( claimed 1370g 45mm depth, loud hubs) once they come in stock, but ill see how it goes. Stiffness wise, these wheels are definitely stiff enough for me, no complains. Ive seen smoother spinning hubs though.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

That is seriously f-in hot, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaReef

by DaReef

Really hot bike.

idinfo68

by idinfo68

Great Bike !
Wich botom bracket or adapter do you use ?

I have to mount one Clavicula SE (BB386) on mine...

Thanks for the answer
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

ross

by ross

Smashing colour. So nice to see after years of stealth black bikes :)

Rogerkdvm

by Rogerkdvm

I have a new SL6 Disc and want to change to oval chaintings. Rotor's 2IN complete BB and crank with PM integrated weighs 775 gm. http://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/ro ... -road.html. Does anyone know, or where i can find, how much stock Specialized SL6 complete crankset with integrated powermeter weighs? Absolute Black is also in this space. Anyone have experience or knowledge about this option?
Also how much weight could i save by switching out from stock handelbars to Ax Lifghtness which weighs 164 gm? I have already switched out the stem to Ax Lightness.
I am also contemplating using Ax Lightness 28T Disc wheelset @ 860 gms for uphill race day(s).
I gave up 300 gms to get disc brakes and have to live with that penalty for the advantages of better braking and for future wider tire options/comfort and versitility.
BTW this bike stock is amazing in high winds and aero. Roger

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

ross wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm
Smashing colour. So nice to see after years of stealth black bikes :)
Totally concur on your good looking frame! Loving the “now you see green, now you see black” colorway.

I see you’re using Supacaz tape. I’ve found that it’s much more durable than my previous favorite - Lizard Skins DSP tape. Is the color transition on your tape at the shifters planned or chance?

northwestern

by northwestern

Hav you had any issues with the BB creaking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I dont typically care for S-Works as they are SO widespread round here but thats a great build and a wonderful use of colour, distrinctive withour being gaudy.