2018 Trek Madone RSL build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

Going aero for 2018.

Ordered the frame set this Saturday along with a few other goodies. The build will look as following:

- 2018 Trek Madone 9 RSL (54cm, H1 geometry, 700 series carbon) Shout out to Trek Georgetown in DC!
- Kogel Ceramic BB bearings for GXP crank - Shout out to Ard at Kogel!
- Giant Contact 120mm, -8 degree stem
- Easton EC70 Aero carbon handlebar (42cm)
- Specialized Power saddle (155mm, Ti rails)
- Sram Red 22 Exogram / Quarq Elsa PM w/ 53/39 Rotor QRings
- Speedplay Zero pedals w/ Ti spindles
- Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2 shifters
- Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2 Rear Derailleur (long cage, Kogel ceramic pulleys)
- Shimano DuraAce 9070 Di2 Front Derailleur
- KMC SL 11 speed chain
- Shimano Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette
- New Shimano battery and wireless transmitter for cellphone connectivity
- Jagwire Elite Link segmented cables for brakes w/ polished cables
- November Rail52 carbon clinchers (will probably be sold and replaced with Bontrager Aelous 5 TLR w/ Veloflex Masters 25)
and
- Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL / Vittoria Corsa Evo CS 23mm

Frame set and few other items should be here by Friday and hope to kick off the build over the next weekend. Not sure where the weight will end up but would like it to be under 7kg. I think it's doable with the climbing wheels as they are around 1385gr if I remember right. I test rode the H2 version and was blown away by the ride quality. The IsoSpeed witchcraft works and works very well. During race season I hoover around 155 - 158lbs so no concerns over stiffness. I'm not using the the Trek stem/bar combo as I'm not a fan of the geometry, especially the reach. My wrists hit the bar when sprinting in the drops. More pictures and weights of the build to come.

JScycle

by JScycle

I'm really excited to see this build! I have always had a thing for Madones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bencolem

by bencolem

Sounds like it’s going to be great. Other than the Giant Contact stem...

plpete

by plpete

Thanks JScycle. The 9 series definitely grew on my as I did more research. Plus Trek has really done a great job recently of not making the bike look like an ad billboard!

bencolem - not too many options with 8 degrees but luckily the stem is stiff, has a nice squared off look I like and has logos removed so a Giant logo won't be an eyesore on the build.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'l building the same frames but with Campagnolo super record EPS enad bora Ultra 50 and 35 wheels.
Vittoria Corsa tyres, Easton EC90SLX handlebar, Easton EA90SL stem, Look Keo Blade Ti pedals and Selle Italai SLR Ti flaow saddle.

Only in doubt about the crank as I'm riding Rotor Q-rings.
Or I will go a 3D24 or I will go a Surper Record crank. My issue with the Campagnolo crank is you have to glue in spacers in the BB90 of the frames.

My frame is only arriving end of may though here in Belgium...

plpete

by plpete

The build is slowly coming along. Still waiting for the handlebar to come in but have made some progress so far. I think I might be on track for a sub 7kg build and possibly less with shallow climbing wheels. Below are some weights:

Fork (uncut) = 398 grams
Frame = 1080 grams (same as my CAAD12!)
Complete seat mast assembly = 196 grams
Headset bearings = 47 grams
Kogel BB bearings for GXP = 55 grams
Sram Red22 / Quarq Elsa w/ Rotor QRings 53/39 = 727 grams
DuraAce 9000 Di2 FD = 109 grams
Ultegra 6800 Di2 long cage RD w/ Kogel pulleys = 267 grams
Control center w/ junction box, battery and wifi unit = 94 grams
Rear brake (no pads) = 134 grams
Front brake (no pads) = 149 grams
Stem 120mm -8deg w/ out front mount = 266 grams
Ultegra Di2 Shifters = 305 grams
Specialized Power Ti 155mm saddle = 238 grams

When the handlebar arrives I'll see if I can use the Jagwire link cables. If there are issues with routing I have some Shimano 9000 housing and cables that came with the frame. Also DuraAce chain is in the mail. There is definitely room to loose weight but first I'll see where this ends up. They say aero beats weight but this is weightweenies :lol: Here are a few photos:

Ghibliultra

by Ghibliultra

wow...! I really want to see final build. Always have curiosity on Madone because it’s exactly opposite concept compared with my c60. Is there any particular reason you choose normal stem and handle bar..?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Any reason for the Giant stem + spacer?

A Speed SL or similar would look 100% tidierImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

plpete wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 pm
Going aero for 2018.

WOW! This is gong to be one mean bike. Never owned a Trek, but have always been smitten by the Fabian vibe. Looking forward to seeing the finished build.

spartan

by spartan

curious about your height/saddle length bb to center of the saddle.
i really hop trek comes out with a compact short reach integrated bar. the stock one does not work for me.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

plpete

by plpete

Nefarious86 - thanks for that. I'll definitely look into the Zipp stem. The black/gray model would look great and drop some weight. As why for the Giant stem...well I already had it and I think it actually looks really good in person. Nice squared off shape and more than stiff enough. It is a bit chunky though. As for the spacer under - had to be there when routing the cables. I tried without it and it was a tighter fit than I wanted.

happyon2wheels - thank you! I wasn't a huge fan of Treks in the past but this one really grew on me and I feel it's one of the best executed aero bikes out there.

spartan - I'm about 5'10" in height. The saddle height as you described is 72cm. And you hit the nail on the head with the Trek bar. It's a great bar and makes for a very clean build but the long reach is a huge turn off for me and others. I rode the bike prior to buying the frame and my wrists would hit the tops when sprinting. I ordered the Easton EC70 Aero bar and I think it matches perfectly and has a great geometry.

The Easton EC70 Aero bar weiged in at 253 grams. It looks fantastic and the internal routing allows for a very clean build

The brakes are also installed although still need adjustment. With the Jagwire Elite Link system they feel very smooth. The brakes pivot on rollers which helps a lot. When setting up the cable and wedge you have to be very careful to measure things out and really trim the cable close or the cover will not fit and will push on the cable causing play in the brake lever. Also, it's important to have new or high quality hex keys because it's very easy to strip the small 2mm adjustment screws.

Continuing with my OCD, the frame received a coat of wax to protect the paint and give it some extra shine. After that I use spray on wax to keep things clean.

Still need to tape the bars but hope to get the first ride in on Saturday if the weather is not crap. Full bike pictures to come.

plpete

by plpete

turlutu - I wouldn't run these wheels all the time. They mostly live on my BMC SLR01. They are great for climbing where I know there is also a lot of fest descending and breaking. 90% of the time I plan to use my carbon Rail52 wheels or soon to be mine - Aelous D3 5 wheels.

BTW, they are not aero by any means but this is the new edition with slightly rounder rim and no carbon spokes on the front wheel. The Exalith SLs use aero bladed spokes.

plpete

by plpete

The build is completed. Still a few small things on the way like Ti spindles, Bontreger RXL cages and Aelous TLR 5 wheels.

First ride in and as expected it was a blast. The legs were a bit heavy but the bike encourages you to push resulting in putting out a best NP over the short distance. Comfort with the ISO Speed is fantastic. Also, very happy with the handlebar choice. with 120mm stem the reach is perfect and the drops shape is perfect for me. Here is a quick post ride shot:

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Great bike.
Looking forward to have mine.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Super clean. Well done!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓