Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s hard to see what’s going on with that Factor above. Is that some long channel that runs the entire length of the downtube? No wonder there’s no problem fitting a waterbottle lengthwise in there. A swimming pool is one thing, but the Panama Canal... is it really that hard to design a waterbottle mount these days.
And what about that cable port on the upper right of the downtube. That’s her good side for God’s sake, the photographing side. I think I prefer the C64’s center port over that one.
But, but... my God... are those what I think they are...? Dropped seatstays! Mother of god, just get that thing outta this thread right now. Oh, the humanity.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Enjoying this great thread Calnago, as per your C60 build. Some great detail which is (so far) hard to find anywhere else on the net. I pay very little attention to the industry write ups on bikes/frames, personally find them pointless unless I was buying a new bike every 12months! If I had the money I think this would persuade me to hand it over for a C64. Not mad keen on the swimming pool but I have not seen one for real yet. At least they didn't drop the stays, as many other manufacturers would have done. Impressed with the launch date last week and the fact that you can have one right now! which is impressive, considering the small scale of C series manufacture. :D
Last edited by rajMAN on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks... I'm trying to get into the real nitty gritty of the frame.... what I would look at myself if I was looking to buy one. Everyone knows it rides well, it handles well, all that is a given like no other bike... and you can only hear a reviewer say it's "on rails" so many times without yawning and thinking... yeah, we get it, now tell us something we don't know. That's what I'm trying to do.
When I've narrowed down a buying choice (and this goes for anything, not just bikes), it means that those choices have already piqued my interest enough to give it a closer look. Basically it means I've already decided these are my favorites out of the lineup, now I need to look closer. It's like picking apart the finalists. They're already great, but now I'm really "looking" for faults, to see if I can live with them in the long term.
I had quite a revelation last night when thinking about the mechanical cabling situation. It was kind of a big moment. Lol, I know, I'm so weird. And I will let you in on it when I figure out if it will work or not myself. Right now, I'm just mulling it over during coffee. Muffin?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

FYI that factor pictured last page doesn't have a channel (or canal, as Calnago put it). It's actually a split all the way down the whole length of the tube.
Doesn't look pretty or strong at all to me, and it's a great way of getting your bike and yourself even dirtier than it already is, but it's supposed to be aero. If you say so Factor.

glepore

by glepore

I just had a set of those headlug adjusters shaved off of the Anvil in the other thread, and surprising Tom found that they were actually integral to the lug, not brazed on. Left him with a lot of finish work, but I hated them enough that the frame is etap only now.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re that Factor... even worse than I thought. Ugh!... Although, you know, Colnago were themselves guilty of such an abomination as well at one point... I present to you...
The Bititan..

themidge

by themidge

Nice paint... the rest is questionable to say the least.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Remember the carbiturbo(??).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... the Carbiturbo (catchy name)... the carbon version of the BiTitan. Bikes... gotta love 'em.

mag

by mag

@Calnago where did you get those plastic tubes that you use for guiding derailleur cables around the BB area from? What they were made for originally? I had similar ones some time ago, but don't remember where they were from and now I'm looking for some...

garypremo

by garypremo

Hi Calnago. Getting back to the 3k carbon weave, can you please share what, if anything, you do to your C59 to maintain and/or enhance the appearance of the weave? For instance, when I am washing my PLWH C60, especially outdoors in the sun, the wet carbon is temporarily shiny and it looks amazing. When it dries it still looks good but often the weave is not easily visible unless the light is just right. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

fa63

by fa63

I use the Maxima SC1 Silicone Spray; it works very well on the Time VXRS I have which has been stripped off its paint. Makes it nice and shiny.

hamiltong17

by hamiltong17

Any ETA when build is going to be finished?

themidge

by themidge

^
Calnago wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 pm
First of all, it's not mine. I just had access to it for a while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... Surf's Up! Anyone fancy a swim?

This whole "swimming pool" analogy I came up with for the recess in the downtube, has been bugging me a bit. Just how awful is it, really. Well... I couldn't stand not knowing so I grabbed a few random waterbottle cages and called up my mistress for another date. She said yes, of course... why wouldn't she... I told her I had some presents for her.

My favorite waterbottle cages are the Arundel Dave-O's. The Mandibles are a little lighter, but the narrow arms tend to squish the waterbottles and make getting them in and out a little more difficult than I thought it should be. The Dave-O's have the same grip, which is a lot, but due to the force being spread over a wider area (the arms are much wider), it makes sliding bottles in and out a breeze and they don't crush. So, with fancy waterbottle bolts and a numerous assortment of spacers and washers in hand, I started trying things on for size...
Heres a side view looking straight on...
Arundel Dave-O waterbottle cage (3mm spacer between the bottle cage boss on the frame and the bottle cage)...

In the above photo looking straight on, there's no daylight in between the frame and the cage because it is, in fact, recessed a bit, but did require a 3mm spacer (those valve stem nuts that come with clincher tubes work perfectly here) in order for there to be no interference with the frame itself, barely....
Looking at it from a slight downward angle, you can see the gap in between frame and cage, so all good...

So, there it is... my favorite waterbottle cage fitted, albeit with a 3mm spacer between cage and water bottle bosses. It's still recessed a bit, and I must admit... with the cage actually mounted you don't even notice the recess and it does look clean. At this point I need to backtrack on my initial disdain for the swimming hole. I think it really just gets back to my own insecurities and the fact that I just don't look good in a speedo. Must revisit that minor nit with my therapist.

So, let's have a look at how some others fared...
Elite Ciussi Inox, tubular stainless steel... before carbon hit the scene, these were the choice of the discerning cyclist...

The mounting bracket actually sits quite deep on the Ciussi's, so it lends itself very nicely to the recess (I won't call it a swimming hole anymore). Ok, you know what, I really like the looks of these on this frame with the recess versus a normal frame without. They sit low. Also, this setup has no spacers between the cage and the bosses, but It is pretty darn close to touching the recess's edge, so I'd probably add one washer between if I was to use these. They weight about 50g versus 27g I think for the Dave-O's. I'll gladly give up a few grams here and there if I think something is either more functional or I just plain like the looks of it better... gram saving never gets the final say for me, at least not when we're down to this stage and the difference is small. And to anyone who says those Ciussi's aren't aero because of the tubular steel construction and all that air they're disrupting, well... just get out, now. :lol:

For these next series of examples... I just mounted a spacer underneath a waterbottle bolt and then just mocked up what it might look like by holding the cage on top of it. Not so good, because with the head of the bolt and the spacer, that distance was over 7mm. With experimenting, I think on average, almost all bottle will be able to be mounted with just a 3mm spacer, some less, some maybe a hair more... so I'm just showing a few other cages here in case they might be your preference and you want to see how they might look. Here's the bolt and spacer that I put underneath... too much...
Image[

And now the other cages... a Tacx...

An ENVE....

Arundle Mandible... unlike the Dave-O's, these have two different mounting positions, with 4 holes in each cage versus two for the others. I think using the lower holes is best since it looked to me like the recess's edge won't interfere with the bottom as much as the top area... or maybe it was the other way around...

Ok... so... it's not so bad after all... and after spending some time with it, I think I might even like it more, as long as you've got a waterbottle cage mounted. Without a cage there, it's a hideous canyon of ugliness (I once had a bad experience at the Grand Canyon I should probably mention to my therapist as well while I'm there)...

Oh, and I may as well mention it again here... no one does waterbottle cage bolts like Ernesto... they are ultra lightweight little jewels of beauty which I just can't bear to let get all trashed underneath some cages.
Hard to see, but the iconic Colnago "Ace of Clubs" or "Clover" or whatever you want to call it is etched into the recess of the bolt heads... only one word.... lovely...

Bottom line on the recess: I've done a complete 180 on this from a week ago, and now that I've actually mounted some cages on it, I like it. It will still undoubtedly be a bit harder to clean, but I can live with that I suppose. I probably don't clean my bikes as much as you might think... it's just that I don't take pics of them when they're not clean. And looking at my poor C60, where I took off my Arundel Dave-O to give to the new mistress, she looks well, a bit flat, like something is now missing. Hmmmm... what a difference a week makes.