Ax Lightness Vial Evo Ultra - 5.3kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nice bike, it looks like you've still got the older, feather light Ultra along with the CT-X fork :thumbup:

My 2017 Ultra (size L, though), was nearly 100g heavier, and fork (CT instead of CT-X) gave you another 40g handicap.
MarginalChains wrote: I originally had AX Ultra 28 clinchers with Conti supersonic tubes on this bike. About 1km into my first descent on my brand new bike the front tyre blew off and I stacked it at about 50kph. Ended up costing me quite a bit in damages and French medical costs, and the upshot was I lost all confidence in the heat dissipation of the wheels. That's what led me to the Lightweights and the conti race lights as they are just that little bit thicker and hopefully safer.
:shock: good that you're still here to tell us about this, scary!

Go for tubs & sub 5kg, tubs still rule climbing and descending.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vuong05

by Vuong05

MarginalChains wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm

I originally had AX Ultra 28 clinchers with Conti supersonic tubes on this bike. About 1km into my first descent on my brand new bike the front tyre blew off and I stacked it at about 50kph. Ended up costing me quite a bit in damages and French medical costs, and the upshot was I lost all confidence in the heat dissipation of the wheels. That's what led me to the Lightweights and the conti race lights as they are just that little bit thicker and hopefully safer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the veloplugs are relevant as with the construction of the Lightweight wheels, no rim tape is needed.
Were there any damages to the front AX Ultra 28 clincher rim? You mentioned the front tire blew off due to poor heat dissipation, were there any obvious hot spots on the brake track / delamination afterwards? Were there lots of switchbacks on the decent, where you had to be aggressive on the brakes? Just trying to understand the whole situation, as I have the same wheelset and don't want to be in the same situation. I'm running Turbo Cotton tires with Vittoria latex tubes on my Ultra 28 wheelset. Originally, I had Vittoria Corsa G+ tires on there, but replaced them when my brake pads were slightly rubbing on the sidewalls after being transported in my car (I guess the brakes must have been bumped during transport somehow)

The braking performance on my Ultra 28C has been nothing short of superb. Nice stopping power with a very linear feel, much better than my Lightweight wheelset, but not as good as the new Enve textured brake track wheels.

Cheers.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Pretty awesome bike, but the bartape wrap not that good, hah..

DEADRE

by DEADRE

hi,

just wondering when you take off the chain off the crankset, does the crankset spin freely or does it only do 1/2 or 1 revolution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rg-RfD75E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTbzeuye6W4

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You might save some weight from using thinner/less bar tape, bottle cages (carbonworks?) and cables (powercordz) without sacrificing durability etc.

It's great as it is though, and I'm mighty jealous of that frame weight! That's weight that I can never save; great platform for your lightweight build.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chrischik7

by chrischik7

MarginalChains wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:54 pm
This is a project that actually started almost two years ago, but I've only just got around to posting about it. I essentially set out to make the lightest bike I possibly could, subject to 4 constraints:

Power meter
Electronic shifting
Clinchers rather than tubular
Durable parts that can actually be used in real life

Complete parts list with weights:

Frame: 2016 AX Lightness Vial Evo Ultra, size S/52 - 618g inc derailleur hanger and seat post clamp
Fork: THM Scapula CT-X - 243g
Seatpost: Ax Lightness Daedalus 320mm - 106g
Headset: AX Lightness integrated by Ceramicspeed - 48g
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 - 233g
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 with Ceramicspeed coated pulleywheels - 226g
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 - 109g
Crankset: THM Clavicula M3 with SRM power meter spider - 459g
Chainrings: Praxis Works - 137g
Bottom Bracket: AX Lightness/Ceramicspeed - 42g
Cassette: SRAM Red 11-28 - 167g
Chain: KMC X11 SL - 239g
Brakes: THM Fibula with Lightweight pads - 168g
Brake Cables: Jagwire Road Elite Link - 71g
Saddle: Ax Lightness Phoenix - 63g
Bottle cages: Ax Lightness - 41g
Handlebars: AX Lightness Rigid 120mm stem + Schmolke TLO bar, bonded by Berk Composites - 223g
Bar Tape: Lizardskins DSP Race 1.8mm with Carbonice bar plugs - 56g
Garmin Mount: Raceware - 14g
Wheels: Lightweight Meilenstein Clincher Schwarz Edition - 1184g (527+657)
Skewers: Lightweight - 43g
Tubes: Continental Race Light - 130g
Tyres: Continental GP4000SII 23mm - 430g
Pedals: (not shown but included in total weight) Speedplay Zero Nanogram - 130g
Di2 cables, battery, parts - 112g

I have some parts that would make it lighter, but go against my condition of it being rideable and durable in the real world. For example, Seqlite titanium cassette and Fibre Lyte chainrings. These together would save about 170g. Dropping the power meter in favour of the Clavicula SE would save a further 160g.

Would love to hear your thoughts and any suggestions for improvements!

Hi, just happened onto this awesome thread this morning, I know I am almost 2 years late but I still wish to share my similar project dated December 2017.

Like MarginalChains, I also set out to make the lightest bike I possibly could, subject to 3 constraints:

Electronic shifting
Clinchers rather than tubular
Durable parts that can actually be used in real life

Complete parts list:

Frame: 2018 AX Lightness Vial Evo Ultra, size S/52
Fork: THM Scapula CT
Seatpost: Ax Lightness Europa Premium
Headset: AX Lightness integrated by Ceramicspeed
Shifters: SRAM RED eTAP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM RED eTAP
Front Derailleur: SRAM RED eTAP
Crankset: SRAM RED
Chainrings: SRAM RED 50/34
Bottom Bracket: AX Lightness/Ceramicspeed
Cassette: SRAM RED 11-32
Chain: SRAM RED
Brakes: SRAM RED
Brake Cables: SRAM RED
Saddle: Selle SMP Full Carbon
Bottle cages: CarbonWorks
Handlebars: AX Lightness Rigid 6 110mm stem + AX Lightness Ergo 4200
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork Ribbon
Garmin Mounts: SRAM Quickview Computer Mount + Garmin Varia Seat-Post Quarter Turn Mount
Garmin Sensors: Garmin Speed Sensor 2 + Cadence Sensor 2
Wheels: AX Lightness Ultra 28C/CeramicSpeed
Skewers: AX Lightness
Tubes: Tubolito Tubo Road
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa 25c
Pedals: xpedo M-Force 8 Ti

I'd like some parts that would make it lighter, but they are too expensive for the weights saved or would mean I have to go tubular. For example, THM Fibula. These would save about 150g. Dropping the tubes in favour of tubs by going with AX Lightness Ultra 25T would save a further 360g.

Would love to hear your thoughts and any suggestions for improvements!
VIAL evo Ultra 5.8kg (Singapore)
VIAL evo Race 6.8kg (Hong Kong SAR, China)

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

chrischik7 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:39 am
These are great, but you can swap to the single sided R-Force Ti for 40g saving. I have both. And Compass tires are lighter - 185g claimed for 26mm Cayuse Pass EL.

chrischik7

by chrischik7

Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 am
chrischik7 wrote:
These are great, but you can swap to the single sided R-Force Ti for 40g saving. I have both. And Compass tires are lighter - 185g claimed for 26mm Cayuse Pass EL.
Yes, I have looked at the single sided pedal but decided against them as I didn't want to relearn clipping in.

The Corsa works for me & they're not that heavy so I went with them.

But what I really want is eeBrake G4, they're half the price of THM Fibula (45 gram heavier) but still a hefty $700 to save just 80 gram over my Red...

Thanks for your comments!
VIAL evo Ultra 5.8kg (Singapore)
VIAL evo Race 6.8kg (Hong Kong SAR, China)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

chrischik7 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 am
Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 am
chrischik7 wrote:
Yes, I have looked at the single sided pedal but decided against them as I didn't want to relearn clipping in.

The Corsa works for me & they're not that heavy so I went with them.

But what I really want is eeBrake G4, they're half the price of THM Fibula (45 gram heavier) but still a hefty $700 to save just 80 gram over my Red...

Thanks for your comments!
EE brakes are superb when you use Etap.
Nice to see fellow Ax Lightness freaks at the forum :beerchug:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.