Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

DOUG wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 am
Looking great, love the paint job!

What top cap/expander are you using?
Well the Cannondale one is actually pretty decent and light. But going for a Fiber Lyte top cap, Schmolke carbon bolt and J&L expander. It's an Extralite copy but apparently works pretty well for less than half the price. We'll see how it goes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks! Yeah I measured the C-Dale one at 16g which is pretty good, was just curious. I was thinking about using the EE top cap and expander just for something a bit different, a few grams saved as a bonus as well I guess.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is that a lightning or a specialized crank?

/a

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Lightning, but I'm already thinking of changing it to a THM if I can get the cash together in the next few weeks. It's a 172.5 but I'm wondering if I need 170 to be honest. I don't have very long legs and I'm not that all really. I think I'm 163cm in height. I'll see how we go with the fitting. I might just ride with this on for now to get me back on the road and then switch later. See how we go.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So it looks like I might hit my sub 5 target. With uncut seatpost, steerer, no pedals or bar tape, the weight is currently sitting at 4.7kg according to the shop. I'm doing a fitting later today and will get the steerer and saetpost cut after that and then the finished build.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Scale shot. 4.78kg - including custom pedals and steerer and seatpost cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dereksmalls on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So I had to make a couple of compromises with this in the end. The expander didn't work as it didn't fit into the steerer, so we went with the stock Cannondale one which is pretty sweet to start with. Currently there is about 25mm of steerer still due to my position needing refinement due to injury and that it's early in my training still and I don't need to be slammed right away. We had to add a spacer behind the cassette to get proper alignment and spacing in order for it to shift effectively, and also the bolts on the RD cage were hitting the spokes. They don't sit flush with the Fiber Lyte carbon inner cage.

I'll get photos up later once I have been out for a ride to bed things in a bit.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Some photos from ride #2

There isn’t much drop at the moment (and the front wheel is slightly turned with the lean against the wall). But I’m quite short anyway, the spacer under the stem will eventually come off once I get more used to the fit and my flexibility gets better post injury.

Loving the paint (those aren’t scratches on the head tube, just a bit of grease smear)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Custom pedals still working, ti plates (Toronto Cycles), black anodized bowtie bolts (Toronto Cycles), ti spindles (Ward - but milled out inside and squared off by Weeracerweenie), ti spindle bolts (Toronto Cycles), under plate body inserts by theremery, bearings and bushings supplied by Weeracerweenie. Assembled by weeracerweenie and theremery. 133grams all up

Lightning crankset, Extralite 52/36. We ended up using a SRAM PF BB as the frame didn't come with one

Fiberlyte inner cage and pulleys, KMC DLC X11sl chain

Last edited by dereksmalls on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Recon black/gold aluminium cassette 11-27, Campag SR, Tune cable housing. In the end we went with the stock Campag cables for both brakes and shifting.

Campag SR FD, Extralite MC rings

The finish on the Berk Lupina in the sun is stunning. You can also see the Smud cradle there too.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I’m loving the metallic silver in the logos, subtle, but looks awesome in the light.

The Carbonworks cages are doing a stellar job of holding bottles on our bumpy roads. These are the version before they got beefed up slightly.

Loving the power in these brakes. Only slightly heavier than the KCNC C7 on my other bike and light years ahead in modulation, lever feel and force. I’m glad I took the plunge.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

First time riding tubulars on the road and I’m loving them. I ride Veloflex Masters on my Enve 45s so fhought I’d keep with Veloflex. I could have saved 80g if I went for Vitttoria Corsa Speeds, but I wanted something that was a bit more puncture resistant. These are supple as and have fantastic grip.

Our roads in NZ are usually covered in all sorts of crap, glass, mud and are generally really heavy stone chip.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the Farsports rims. Great braking combination with the Black Prince pads and ee brakes. The Extralite hubs are smooth AF.

The Recon cassette is a race day cassette, but having used it before I know how to shift on it to get the best out of it.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

In the end we decided to go with the Cannondale compression plug as we couldn’t get the J&L expander to fit into the headtube, which means I’ve now got a spare Schmolke carbon bolt, Fiberlyte cap and J&L expander. The Cannondale one is pretty good light anyway, about 16gm.

We did use the top assembly of the AER headset though so that’s one good thing. It’s pretty smooth

Some fun facts about our local wind turbine where I ended up at lunch. There some pretty steep pitches on the climb up to it.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Looking good DS.

Loving the custom pedals by Theremy and WRW (both local legends here in Christchurch).

Enjoy.

Cheers
GJ

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

My mechanic at my LBS - Capital Cycles in Wellington - who built this for me was very patient and advised me every step of the way on why he was doing something and consulting me on how I wanted it. I'm grateful to him for being patient as, and putting up with my boxes of bits and making this bike come together and work well. I've only ridden it twice but both rides have been short punchy hilly rides that are enough to test all aspects of the bike, short climbs, long grinds, steep ramps, twisty descents, sprint sections. I couldn't be happier with it
Last edited by dereksmalls on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com