Cervelo R3 Disc 2018

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

siim

by siim

I can't say for sure but they are now specing Shimano and Sram cranks on full builds of the disc bikes. I will find out during the build I guess :)

siim

by siim

Today was the day! The frame has landed and it's a beauty! Unfortunately, this time of the year, where I live the daylight is only when I'm in the office, so nice pictures will have to wait. However, I did examine the delivery and wanted to share one discovery. Probably not news for long-time R3 owners but slightly disappointing for me anyway.

Here is the seat clamp:

As you can see, it's not round! Therefore, it's not possible to replace this with another, lighter item. Here's the seat clamp area of the frame:

I also found a thread on the topic: viewtopic.php?t=139639
Ti bolt will have to do in this case...

My next purchase will be expander as I don't want to glue the insert that came with the frameset. However, after quick research I'm really undecided. At first I thought I will get the Intend Smarty but unforunately inside diameter of the steerer tube is just a little too small. Now following options are on the table:
Trickstuff Deckele (similar to Smarty)
Schmolke Expander SL
Extralite Ultrastar 3

Recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I prefer the expander from JRC as it has more contact points than The Ultrastar, albeit with a slight weight penalty

https://www.jrc-components.com/collecti ... t-expander
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

1415chris

by 1415chris

Not exactly slightly, it is twice heavier! :)
On the subject of seatpost clamp, I was in touch with MCFK couple of years ago (5?), asking them about posibility of making a clapm for my R5. They answered that it would be possible, but the price they offered was a tad too steep for me to justify spending around £85, as I remember well, for seatpost clamp. So I ended up with Ti bolt only ;)

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

@1415chris ...fair point...6.8g vs 11g...it is WeightWeenies :D

May be heretical, I'm not a fan of the UltraStar design
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

siim

by siim

Squashednuts wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:28 am
I prefer the expander from JRC as it has more contact points than The Ultrastar, albeit with a slight weight penalty
Thanks, JRC expander seems legit as well. However, what's the difference compared to Schmolke Expander? Other than weight.

Today I managed to get some better shots of the frame in the daylight. I don't have time for a long post, so here's a teaser for now:

nesfyl

by nesfyl

Excellent stuff. I expect delivery of mine within this week, I will chip in to your post if you don't mind

siim

by siim

nesfyl wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 am
Excellent stuff. I expect delivery of mine within this week, I will chip in to your post if you don't mind
That's cool! I don't mind as long as your build is heaveier than mine :D

siim

by siim

Alright, time for another update. Before I get to the frame and fork, let's talk about axles. From what I have gathered, Cervelo used to have normal threded through axles in the earlier disc bikes. But since being aquired by Pon Holdings, the parent company of Focus (and Santa Cruz), Cervelo started using RAT axles developed originally by Focus. Why is that of any significance? Well, RAT is all nice and fast when doing a wheel change (check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXW9R8XYP4) but it has one flaw: axles are damn heavy and lightweight alternatives are nearly non-existent. How heavy you might ask? Well, here they are.

Front is 60.2 grams:

And the rear is 67.5g:

But that's not all. For the front, I also need to add 6 grams worth of hardware that will be attached to the outer side of the fork dropout. Here it is on the scale:

And this is where it shall be attached to:

Only alternative I've found so far (thanks for pointing me to it, Squashednuts) is offered by The Robert Axle Project. Rear axle is claimed 45g, so it would be nice 20+ gram saving. This will go to the list of upgrades that I will do after the bike is rideable.

I'm not planning to switch wheels often and also don't need to do it superfast (I'm not a racer) and therefore I could see myself giving up the RAT tool-free axle in favor of a lighter axles that need tools for installation and removal.

PyotrGhimme

by PyotrGhimme

1. RAT SUCKS... I do agree. I had focus mares with RAT and got surprised weighing both axles on my scale.

2. If you’re able to replace original axle nuts with conventional threaded ones (like those used in other thru axle frames) Take a look at bolt type axles from Maxle or some super light ones from Extralite

siim

by siim

It's time for the dessert! Many more pictures of frame, fork and their details can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskxg6jnq

Alright, here's the frame:

And the fork:

Some details too.
Rear dropouts:

Flat mount (rear):

Bottom Bracket:

Headtube:

Flat mount on the fork:

Weight of the 56cm frame is 897.3 grams. This includes only rear derailleur hanger and front derailleur tab, no other hardware. I'm very happy with the number: listed weight was 890 and I was afraid it's for the smallest frame and without paint, but apparently not.

Uncut fork (32 cm steerer) without any hardware is 383.4g. Again, very respectful. Especially considering that R3 is not top-tier model. I will cut some chunk of that steerer which will bring the number down to 35x range I hope. Looking back at my original spreadsheet I'm confused from where I took the 490g number. Maybe I counted for axle(s) as well.

Seatpost 209 g as expected:

Headset. I only included bearings and dust cover on the scale because I don't plan to use the supplied bolt and top cap.

Chain catcher:

More updates are on the way: stem is in the post office, Schmolke SL Expander and B.O.R. chainrings + some tools and greases for putting it all together have been ordered. Exciting times but I will still have to go to cycling holiday in April with my old Roubaix SL4.

siim

by siim

One more thing I did before any building activities was to take frame and fork to local car wash and let them add layer of protection on it. Echelon Nano-Fil hard glass coating was applied. The thing comes in boxes like this:

But in reality it's a tiny bottle of some magic potion that is said to protect car 2-3 years. The best thing is that it barely adds any weight because the layer is so thin. Fork weighed the same after applying hard glass coating, frame gained about a gram. I think the price was reasonable as well. If you would get the coating for your car, it would cost you in the range of 500-600 euros. For the bike they asked just 20€. I'm interested to see if it makes future cleaning of the bike easier and if it really protects to any micro-scratches and such.

Lord Vader

by Lord Vader

Thanks for the great pictures! I still love my first generation R3, but the new disc version is the first bike since ages where I get this "I want that"-feeling. Looking forward to your finished build!

nesfyl

by nesfyl

Ok, here's mine, at its first outing. It's largely stock, barring the saddle (Spesh Power) and wheels (Hunt 50carbon). Rides like a dream, will write a review of sorts after I've spent more time on it.

Excuse those water bottles :)
Attachments
r3disc.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siim

by siim

Great to hear that it rides like a dream - looking forward to get mine built and ridden. Yours seems to be larger frame - is it a 58cm? Do you happen to have shallower wheels to take a picture with these? I'm undecided on the wheel depth and trying to figure out if it would look better with ~35mm or 50mm wheels. Road profile around where I live is flat as a pancake and definitely favors deeper wheels but I don't want to add too much weight and feel that shallower rim would look slightly better.

One more question: tire clearance. What tires are you running and is there room left to go bigger?