SPEEDVAGEN Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 am
Nice! Yes, if you could paint the straight fork the same color as the frame then that’s the one I’d prefer on that bike too.
Agreed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

Thanks for the clarification on the rake figure. The original fork looks way better and it's always these builds of "smaller sized" manufacturers ,which excite me much more than all Specialized ,Trek and Cannondale builds together. I really would like to see someone coming up with an Independent SS one.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 am
Nice! Yes, if you could paint the straight fork the same color as the frame then that’s the one I’d prefer on that bike too.
Thanks, your got great taste so your input means a lot !!

themidge wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:46 pm
I really like that fork design you came up with but please, please, please don't paint the stem! If you don't want it black them maybe try silver? It would match the shiny bit near the top of the seat tube.
Thanks Man ! LOL on the stem I really like the look of the painted stem it goes well with the painted Seat Mast. I tried silver on some bits, they get lost in in the Minty Fresh paint. All in all these parts are ez to change out and its fun trying different looks.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re the stem. I think matching color in this case would be my choice. I’d go with a Deda Zero 100 stem in the -8 degree rise. I think that would follow the angle of the top tube nicely. But it would also raise the tops of your bars ~1.5cm from where they are with your current -17 degree stem. If that’s a problem fit wise you could switch bars to some Deda Zero 100 SHALLOWS (but they’re not at all shallow by today’s standards with a 135mm drop). Nice classic shape and the ramp would drop the hoods back down to where they are right now, plus the slightly higher bar position at the stem creates a comfortable spot for climbing or just cruising around. It’s one of the reasons I prefer the classic shaped bars so much, for the various positions and different heights at each position, from relaxed to aggressive.
The shape of the Deda stem would also really complement the frame tubes, slightly oversize and ovalized. 3T stems are skinnier and I just don’t care for their new single bolt design. Plus the -6 rise may be too much. The Pro-Vibe stems are nice and have a -10 degree rise, but their angular cross section wouldn’t go as well with your frame imo. You’re getting down to the nitty gritty details and aesthetic choices that result in a super nice build now. Have fun. Oh, and I do like the semi large graphic on the fork versus just a plain solid look.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago, thx again for your input !

I was thinking of trying a Pro-Vibe -10 degree stem, in part because of the raw metal V that may go well with teh top of my seat mast. But per your input I will try a Deda Zero 100 stem in the -8 degree and see how it looks.

I hope the -8 matches the TT line.

Thx !
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

themidge

by themidge

KarlC wrote: I hope the -8 matches the TT line.
Drawing a few lines on a geometry chart or side-on picture of the bike will give you an idea of what angle stem will fit best (depending on what size frame you have compared to the manufacturer's chart, a picture might be better).
Here's one i made earlier (BMC alr01, not speedvagen)
IMG_0086.JPG

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Nice build. I never had been heard about that maker, but this bike shows standard of neat look.
Is this carbom frame with isp?

KarlC

by KarlC

Chans1ee wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm
Nice build. I never had been heard about that maker, but this bike shows standard of neat look.
Is this carbom frame with isp?

All Hand Made Steel on this one !

Check them out ....... https://www.speedvagen.com/

Last edited by KarlC on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

I did 60 a mile ride on the SV over the weekend, that's a bigger ride for me lately as I have not had much time to ride. Normaly at my current fitness I would feel tired and beat up, but I wanted to keep going. This thing is a pure joy to ride.

I did some cleaning and waxing after the ride......

Image20180108_095731_HDR by , on Flickr
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

KarlC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 am

I was thinking of trying a Pro-Vibe -10 degree stem, in part because of the raw metal V that may go well with teh top of my seat mast. But per your input I will try a Deda Zero 100 stem in the -8 degree and see how it looks.

Thx !
From eyeballing it I think the -8 will be a fairly close match to the top tube angle, but either the -8 or -10 will work nicely, and either would be more visually appealing than the -17 on their now in my opinion. Of course, none of this aesthetic stuff should over ride a proper fit and position, but I've never heard anyone complaining of being more comfortable than they were before. And yes, the metal V on the puzzle clamp of the pro-vibe stem works visually as you say, but I know they no longer make the type that I have on my C60 anymore, but they do make a nice stealth version of it. But if you're painting it doesn't matter. I just think the oversize and ovalized cross section of the Deda Zero 100 would complement your frame tube shapes better. Preference call at this point.

I like having a little something on the fork as well, and the red graphic is nice against the blue I think, especially if it ties in with the logo on the top tube. Mabye just make it a little smaller if you can? You just have to go with what speaks to you at this point. It's a nice bike either way.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PinaRene

by PinaRene

KarlC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 am

Thx !
Here is the stem calculator - so you can fill in the things you know and want to know.

STEM CALCULATOR

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

From eyeballing it I think the -8 will be a fairly close match to the top tube angle, but either the -8 or -10 will work nicely, and either would be more visually appealing than the -17 on their now in my opinion. Of course, none of this aesthetic stuff should over ride a proper fit and position, but I've never heard anyone complaining of being more comfortable than they were before. And yes, the metal V on the puzzle clamp of the pro-vibe stem works visually as you say, but I know they no longer make the type that I have on my C60 anymore, but they do make a nice stealth version of it. But if you're painting it doesn't matter. I just think the oversize and ovalized cross section of the Deda Zero 100 would complement your frame tube shapes better. Preference call at this point.

I ordered a Deda Zero 100 -8 stem to try, thx again !

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm
I like having a little something on the fork as well, and the red graphic is nice against the blue I think, especially if it ties in with the logo on the top tube. Mabye just make it a little smaller if you can? You just have to go with what speaks to you at this point. It's a nice bike either way.

I plan to get some of the matching SV Logos made up in a few sizes to try on the fork and maybe the stem.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

KarlC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:34 pm
VANILLA WORKSHOP SPEEDVAGEN Road

This is an older original SPEEDVAGEN..... from my understanding its when Sacha still brazed and Desalvo TIG'd them. Ive been told back in those 1st few years, Sacha would braze up the backends......the dropouts are brazed to the stays, the seattopper sleeve was brazed....etc. The main triangles were then all TIG'ed by Mike who would drive up from Ashland.

Said photo

ImageSV in the early days by , on Flickr
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Great day for a SpeedVagen ...

Image20180113_141207_HDR by , on Flickr

Image20180113_141220_HDR by , on Flickr

Trying new bars on soon ..... DDddang these are light and a great deal right now

Image20180113_175523_HDR by , on Flickr
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

regarding the bars, these look amazing, so frustrating that they don't come with longer stems