Talbot Frameworks Dalsnibba

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

So this has been in the pipeline for a while now and I wanted to have the frame before starting a thread for it.

I've been a fan of what Matt has been doing for a while now, I appreciate his willingness to experiment and some of the innovative things he has done previously. Such as the very cool conductive paint to run Di2 without wires.

This is a departure from my current rides and I am intrigued to experience modern steel. Coming from a Stork Aernario and a Velocite Syn the "springiness" of steel is something I am looking forward to experiencing.

This bike will be raced and some of the design decisions reflect this.

This is the geo chosen in consultation with Matt. Other details are Enve tapered fork and ISP with custom topper. T47 BB, full internal routing including for Di2. I decided to keep the British theme with a hope headset.

This is a little experiment that is still being put together. It's an integrated brake fork to hopefully give the frame a very clean look with the under BB brake. The Enve fork will be the standard set up but this should be fun.

The paint is a Talbot Framework candy fade, with a little flourish on the top tube.

The frame finally arrived (with a Trollstigen on the way as well) so I headed out in between the rain to the try and get some shots in the sun. The paint has a beautiful silver flake through it that is very hard to capture.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The build is still being worked out, most likely it will consist of;

Pro Vibe Stem
Enve SES Aero bars (40mm)
Gelu Carbon Creations E series Saddle
Rotor 3D + with P2M
White Industries T47 BB
50mm Carbon on DT Swiss 240 using Spain CX-Ray
Ee brake front
Ultegra direct mount rear.
Ultegra Di2 derailluers
YBN chain
Arundel cages

Only concerns are finding a Stem that suits the svelte tubes and a nice tape that will match. Have seen some black with orange highlights that might fit the bill.

More to come.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I really like the look of this!
Why are you opting for a ee brake front and an Ultegra DM rear? don't EE make a DM version of their brake as well? It would feel so much better that both brakes are of the same brand and make. As for a stem, personally I'm a big fan of the stems made by Kalloy and 3T in my eyes they are among the best looking out there.
Supacaz probably has a tape that will mach your frame.

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bely

by Bely

Oh wow!!! This is gonna be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

This looks really good - lovely paintjob. And just look at those tiny seat stays!!

Delorre

by Delorre

This will be a top notch build, but why, oh why, 'only' Ultegra? Such a nice bike deserves nothing less than the latest DA :wink: All the other components are only the 'best' you can get, don't skimp on groupset please!

romalor

by romalor

Except the weight , ultegra di2 with the new generation is as good as dura ace ;)
And I prefer a top frame with super nice parts and ultegra DI2 than a low class frame with sub components !

I love Talbot they remind me of English with the skinny seat stays but with their own style ! I saw their frame with DI2 and wiring incorporated in the paint a few years ago it was a blast !

I am also planning to buy either the P2 or E2 from Gelu , they are light and comfortable from what I've read . But I need the cork to avoid to much move on the saddle .

What junction bar will you use ? The new handlebar junction can be installed on Enve SES aero bar only if you cut the specific end of enve bar .
So you reduce a bit the length of the drop , or you can put it elsewhere like on the downtime on some production frame
Interested to see what you choose ....

Can you give us more specific information about the steel tubing used diameter butting shape ?
T47 is the way to go !

You'll love it I am shure !
I am also an owner of a velocite syn ( great bike even if a bit too harsh on the front if you want to run some cobbles really hard aka Ronde Van Vlanderen)

bencolem

by bencolem

Love the design of the seatstay and seattube and the top tube graphic. Why the Ultegra rear brake? I changed from an Ultegra to an EE for the rear (for clearance with a Stages) but I’d say the EE performs better whilst being smaller / nearer and lighter.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The EE's require cleaning more often than other brake designs, so when it is tucked down below the BB, I can understand the choice of Ultegra for the rear brake. But I am still curious about the choice of rear brake placement at the BB and not at the wishbone / seatstay interface.

Regardless, the frame is stunning and the build coming along nicely. :thumbup:

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks everyone, now to answer some of the questions.............

Ultegra - it's a utility decision. All the performance I need and to be honest I can't tell if I'm riding it or Dura Ace. I am happy to go 'higher end' on the stuff I feel impacts the ride/performance it's just that, for me, Dura Ace is isn't it. If I was using Shimano cranks I'd probably run Dura Ace for the aesthetic but I'm quite attached to my Rotors. I would also use a Dura Ace chain if I wasn't running the YBN.

Rear Brake - I already have a set of EE's in silver but the rear brake is a direct mount so can't use them on the rear. I really like them but Stolichnaya is on the money, due to the position I want to test out something that is a little easier to keep clean. The fact I can pick up the newer version for $70 is a bonus.

Junction Box - I'm looking into ways to hide it. I don't fancy chopping up the bars so I'm thinking I might look into either a Stem or Seat post hidey hole.

Chainstay Brake Placement - it's a signature of Talbot Frameworks, the clean rear end is something that attracted me to his work in the first place. I trust Matt and his recommendation, he's a no nonsense guy so if it had issues he wouldn't continue with it. Also as I live in Australia it won't really be ridden in trying conditions, especially considering I also have a disc brake ride.

Romalor - I'm really digging the Gelu Carbon E I have in use now, I also have the cork version which I think will go on the Trollstigen when it arrives. It's a different colour way so should match better. For those interested the E series is a lot like the Specialized Power saddle, but with a more useable nose. I find it better for riding on the rivet.

Slack

by Slack

I also have a Dalsnibba, but without the wishbone stay. It's a lovely bike to ride you, shouldn't be disappointed!

romalor

by romalor

You also have a Trollstigen coming ? Nice
Did you remove some ( carbon) bikes or you just add to the cheptel ?

thanks for the little review on the gelu, now I am sure I will order one E2 but with black cork to stay stealth ;)
That and the darimo seat post in 27,2 350 mm bi directional look ,
It will make me loose 140 145 gr
on my actual seat combo ( power s works 165gr and lyti seat post 130 gr )

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

whats the idea with the custom paint? it reminded me of the richard sachs cyclo cross team livery, which is actually pretty great.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

So the paint came about after some discussions, Matt is noted for his love of Candy paint and sick fades. The original colour choice was grey and orange for this ride, inspired by older Cafe Racers. This morphed into black base to let the colours pop more and the decal was the show more of the colour off and add some visual appeal. Think stitching pattern on an old leather motor bike seat. It also fit in well with my appeal to patterns, sort of ticked a lot of boxes. As I'm sure people will tell you choosing paint is hard, so I was happy to give some initial guidance and let Matt choose what he thought would look best and stay within the Talbot Frameworks style.

As evidence of how the paint fits in with my own likes, I am adorned with this

I never made the Richard Sachs connection. But I can certainly see it now. Like you I liked that paint so if it looks as good I'm happy with that.

The Aero fork experiment was wanting to try something new. The idea was to keep the bike clean, especially because the under BB rear brake. At the same time the wide fork legs juxtapose against the smaller steel tubes and the tiny wishbone seat stays. Still not sure how it's going to play out, but it is certainly going to be unique.

Matt did a great job painting these as they had a pretty poor finish when I sent them to him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com