Incoming English 6.26kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

I have seen his work before and then seeing his work in person at the 2014 NAHBS I was sold. So after 18 months in the making its on its way. Rob was a breeze to work with and went above and beyond on the build. Answered all my questions, calls, and emails. Went off my existing fit and measurements on my current setup. All the parts I sourced myself and Rob built it all up. Figured this way ill just open a box and go for a ride. Went with internal routing, mechanical red 22. No batteries to recharge on this bike. Bike is pictured with his wheels, i'll be using Bontrager Aeolus 3 tubulars with gum wall R4 25c tires. Should be pretty close to the build sheet weight. Ill be finding out soon.

Last edited by nickf on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clean39T

by Clean39T

That is a work of art. Seriously. I’m blown away by his attention to detail. Great color choice too [emoji106]

AZR3

by AZR3

Soooooooo jealous!!! If I was going custom I’d go with Rob, his work is incredible.

kurisu

by kurisu

That's an incredibly good looking bike. Rob English's work is really in a different category. Bet this will ride beautiful, too.
Litespeed T5 | No. 22 Great Divide | Ridley Helium SL | No. 22 Reactor

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Bikes like these don't need to be weighed. Probably one to stay with you for life!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kidrob

by kidrob

This is soooo awesome :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can I ask how much the frame was?

nickf

by nickf

kidrob wrote:This is soooo awesome :shock: :shock: :shock:

On par with carbon offerings from pinarello or colnago.

kidrob

by kidrob

nickf wrote:
kidrob wrote:This is soooo awesome :shock: :shock: :shock:

On par with carbon offerings from pinarello or colnago.

Ok, thats great and actually so much better :thumbup:

dak

by dak

AZR3 wrote: If I was going custom I’d go with Rob, his work is incredible.

:smartass: +1,000,000 :beerchug: Amazing build and color choice. Ride it in good health!
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

rekhyt

by rekhyt

It's rare to see a stem that fits a bike so well. It has the same angle as the top tube and the carbon matches the seat post/head tube.

The rest is built up beautifully, too. You didn't just threw the most expensive parts on there but parts that acutally fit. The only very minor change that i could think of are AX Lightness wheel with a 3k finish.

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

the wishbone seatstays look so good. would love to ride one, but not sure about waiting for the turnaround time.

nickf

by nickf

rekhyt wrote:It's rare to see a stem that fits a bike so well. It has the same angle as the top tube and the carbon matches the seat post/head tube.

The rest is built up beautifully, too. You didn't just threw the most expensive parts on there but parts that acutally fit. The only very minor change that i could think of are AX Lightness wheel with a 3k finish.

That stem was exactly for the purpose of matching the carbon on the other tubes. Its a nice looking piece of kit but it just fit the build. I also initially wanted a little more traditional TT which Rob was happy to do. But he suggested more slope, this would build a smaller lighter triangle, have more seatmast showing=more compliance, and so the stem angle would closely match the TT angle for aesthetics. He is the builder so i just agreed to whatever he suggested. He also always builds with a 10mm spacer under the stem, in case you swap headsets later on down the road or stems with a different stack height. He will slam it if you request it but I liked his reasoning not to.

I looked at all sorts of wheels. Schmolke SL 45 tubs were my second pick but I have had such good luck with Bont Aeolus wheels. Plus I get a heck of a deal on Bont/Trek at the LBS I work at from time to time.

The crankset was the only component I really went back and forth on. Originally went with a SRAM red BB386 crank with a BB to make it work with BSA but it was on the porky side and just not crazy about the look of it on steel bikes. The lighning crank did it all, removable spider, 30mm spindle that works with the BSA BB shell, made in the USA, black decals. I like the look of the narrower crankarms with steel tubes.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Not much to say except that this is on the very, very short list of most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. 10/10

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Oh my, that frameset is stunning...
Every time I see a new English roll off the line, I get pulled in a different direction for my wife's English build (incoming.)
Nicely done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It looks amazing. I'm guessing the weight of the crankset is including chainrings?