2017 Specialized Sequoia Expert (Evo)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I acquired a '17 Sequoia Expert, and while I loved the bike. I instantly saw things I wanted to change to make it more to my liking. The 1X drivetran had larger gaps between gear ratios than I would like. I also didn't care for the fit, or the aesthetics of the Sram hydro hoods. I also thought the tire choice could be better for the desired usage I'll be putting it to.

So I swapped on Sram Force 22 mechanical shifters, rear derailleur, Red 22 front derailleur, Ultegra 11-25 cassette, Sram S950 cranks 170mm 50/34, Juin Tech F1 brakes, and Specialized Trigger Pro 38c tires setup tubeless. I also added discontinued Specialized Ti bottle cages, and a K-Edge Garmin mount. It's a little on the heavy side at 10.5kg. It's also a lot on the fun side. All the changes I made totally improved the bike better to my liking. Enjoy the pics. I'll likely change the cockpit up a bit. Maybe a different bar and stem. Probably a different saddle too. For now, I am enjoying it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kakan

by kakan

Really nice!

I hage ordered a Sequoia Pro Frameset which im gonna
Build almost like your bike. Sram Force, Roval CL40... but with fenders. Tires gonna be Marathon Winter for now... it is cold here in Sweden.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

It sounds like you're on your way to an awesome build. I'll likely replace the wheels at some point with something better, and lighter myself. It's a really fun bike. I'll probably find myself out on it today.

Mtek

by Mtek

Looks like a fun bike. What bars are you running? I ask as the pic you have makes them look quit flared out.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Mtek wrote:Looks like a fun bike. What bars are you running? I ask as the pic you have makes them look quit flared out.

It is the Specialized Adventure Gear Hover Bar that comes with the bike. It is quite flared. I like it, but I might swap on a more familiar feeling S-Works Aerofly handle bar. I have them on all of my roadbikes other than this one.

Here is a better pic of the handlebar on someone else's bike.

Haydn

by Haydn

Looks great!

Also, its nice to finally see a bike on here heavier than my own :P

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

This is one my favourite bikes from the last couple of months. Congrats on the build, looks super fun.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

It's a super fun bike. A funny note, my Fatboy in the background of the scale pic weighs approximately the same, and is also super fun. I've had a sub 13lbs bike before, and it was fun, but not like this. I may put it on a diet one day. I could shed 3lbs rather quick I think, and get it under 20lbs. I may weenie it out for fun. After all it's all about fun anyway.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Swapped out the saddle for a S-Works Toupe 130mm. Dropped 100g. This is how it begins....

jemima

by jemima

matt Darimo post with the yellow lettering would suit that!

Plus, it would go with your bar tape :thumbup:
Curve Grovel ti.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Gotta keep the CG-R post for comfort. The bartape will be replaced soon. It no longer matches my new saddle.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Would it be wrong to put a set of Aerofly handlebars on this bicycle?

reebzor

by reebzor

What do you think of those brakes? I'm wanting to upgrade from BB7's and havent heard much about the Juin Tech

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So far the Juin Tech brakes have exceeded all of my expectations. Easy to setup and install(pretty much like mechanical caliper), but more stopping power, and better modulation. I bought them after recomendations from other forum members here. They also reccomended compressionless brake housing, so I bought the Jagwire Pro Road cable kit which has compressionless brake housing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So in my quest to make this bike more to my liking changing the saddle, and the bartape were really a big help. I am pretty particular about saddles, and the covering on the OEM saddle, and the bartape are not very choice by my experience. Also, I've noticed as I've been spending a lot of my time ridding this bike that I want to make it fit more like my others. I did opt to size up to a 56cm, where I usually ride 54cm with longer stems. My reasoning was wanting a longer wheelbase for more stability at speed on rough surfaces. I've been examining the geo chart, and I need a -10deg to -12deg stem that is 10mm longer, and some 42mm bars to complete the transition to optimize my fit. We spec this bike with wider 44cm bars, and while they might make more room for handlebar bags for bike packing, they compromise the fit. While I may use it for bike packing one day, it generally is used for blazing down gravel, and paved roads. So with that long explanation. I think I'm going to put a Zipp Sprint SL stem on here, and a set of 42mm Aerofly handlebars. I'm also considering a -10deg Extralite stem as I've always wanted one of those. I think the burly aesthetic of the Zipp Sprint would work well with the burly fork, and headtube. Plus I'm not sure I need a sub 100g stem on this bike. The thought process on changing components can be cumbersome with so many great options available. I've even considered a Pro Stealth Evo bar/stem combo.