Hitting Reset: My Litespeed T2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, I found a great deal on another carbon frame, then another, then another. I even bought one and never built it. I got to a point where, mentally, I feel like they're all just another carbon frame. It was time to do something different. So far I've got zero regrets. This frame is every bit as stiff as I'd need out of any race bike - but a lot more interesting! (to me)
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

KarlC

by KarlC

Imaking20 wrote:Yeah, I found a great deal on another carbon frame, then another, then another. I even bought one and never built it. I got to a point where, mentally, I feel like they're all just another carbon frame. It was time to do something different. So far I've got zero regrets. This frame is every bit as stiff as I'd need out of any race bike - but a lot more interesting! (to me)

Change is good !

Ive been going thru a bit of the same as I have been following your progress.

I landed on an used Speedvagen frame, and now working on getting getting parts for it.

We will see where it all ends ???

by Weenie

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Trade for lumpia bro

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Best price for 3 lumpia?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Sweet build! So much inspiration from the Litespeed builds on the forum.
I too have a metal bike and have owned multiple carbon ones. The metal reigns supreme and is the one I always deafult too.
I however think there's a place for carbon bikes for the larger fellas (6'1 170lbs). I just feel like I can put more physical energy into banging on a carbon bike with greater results.
Say I'm in a fast group ride and I want to stay at the front of the steep long climb, carbon helps ME stay there. Just the way the power is transferred to instant feedback.
Not saying I couldn't so the same on steel, but from my experience I can see the after affects of banging hard on metal and the same with carbon. I can do Newcomeb from my place (75mi / 8000ft) and come home and hit the gym to lift weights after (Carbon bike).

My Speedvagen with Vlaanderen tires on Schmolke 30 wheels, is the best combo going right now. I can ride over beat to crap roads and the ride is pure bliss. My SSEVO is almost done being built up, and it serve it's purpose as weekend hill weapon. I'm hoping my SSEVO hits the scales around 11lb with the full build.

I'm still thinking of getting a Moots or some Ti bike for a xmas bonus gift to myself.
Speedvagen Road Machine "2011 Surprise me | Cannondale SuperSix Evo | Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Firefly Ti #419

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm 6' and 165lb. I've ridden steel before and would agree with your perception at least (even if I know that feeling is more in my head than anything - I've set KOMs on my Soma over lighter friends on carbon). This bike is NOT like steel I've ridden. I've put in a couple bug uphill sprints on this bike and it didn't yield - can't say the same for steel. Where I live now, most rides seem to be 100+ ft of climbing per mile. I went out after work the other day (a day which was deadlifts and leg press at the gym) and did 13 miles and 1800' of climbing and it never remotely crossed my mind that the bike was a hindrance, even on the 15%+ pitches. There is no delay when I jump on this thing. Even the Lynskey is significantly more responsive than steel I've ridden - and it's more comfortable than any carbon bike I've ridden.

So I get the pro Carbon argument. I think most people would make it. I'm just saying that after 15 carbon bikes, 2 aluminum, 1 steel, and now this, I believe the argument is a lie.

Edit: but don't everyone go out and buy one. The last thing I want is for there to be a new LS build on this forum every 3 days like there is with SS Evo :p
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

glepore

by glepore

Your bike and Ryan's have me shopping for ti. I have an problem with hoarding though, and currently have a bunch of bikes, each with a niche. I get that ti would fill a bunch of those, and if I wasn't emotionally attached I'd dump them. Just missed out on a Seven SLX that would have fit me (reached a deal with a Paceline poster but the bike sold on ebay before he could take it down). Decided to have Tom Kellog refinish a custom steel bike that had crash damage instead. At 135 lbs and a laughable max power I can actually use a light steel bike. Still sort of looking and if the right ti bike pops up I'm in. It would have to be a t2/3 or a nice Seven (ie one that fits and doesn't have an unattractive headtube height). I think that something like that with a build like this would be the bike that you could reach for every day and lack nothing but aero, and if that's a concern a set of bars like the aeronova and deep wheels would get you much of that.

Supersixes are ubiquitous because they may be the screaming deal of the decade. Yeah, they're sort of like a Chevy Malibu in looks and exclusivity, but they're like a supercharged Chevy SS in use-great power transfer, easy to build down to 6.0, and comfortable enough to actually ride for 4 hrs or more. They are a bit nervous though and remind you all of the time that they're a sporting piece.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Cannondale SS Evo Di2 7970 (5.79); Willier Cento Uno Air Di2 9070 (7.0); C40 Mk2 DA 7800 ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I think of my Speedvagen as the M5 and my Carbon weight weenie weekend warrior bike as the M4 GTS.
One for comfort and top end speed and the other for race feels, and lightweight powerful accelerations.
Speedvagen Road Machine "2011 Surprise me | Cannondale SuperSix Evo | Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Firefly Ti #419

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Quick scoot after work while I had a little light and relatively dry roads. This bike is rad.

Current:
T2

Retired:

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Almost like those wheels on it better than the Boras..

Also, my afternoon ride involved the torture of SW Hall and lots of cars - and yours was apparently empty roads in farm country. I think I’m doing it wrong...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

A very nice Ti bike, looks great and I like the choice of components! The SRAM cranks look nice with the Campagnolo components...happy riding.
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thanks!

I've got as much opposition to brand clashing as the next snobby cyclist, but I think with the crank stripped it's discrete enough to not be an issue. And I wasn't pleased with the SR crank on my white bike.

Just ordered some fat tires for this thing to see what all the fuss is about..
Current:
T2

Retired:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's been awhile since I rode my 46 Aero, I forgot just how good they are. Stiffness/spin-up that rivals CCU, braking that easily rivals Boras (if not better), and holds speed better than both.

Current:
T2

Retired:

kurisu

by kurisu

@Imaking20 I love the clean lines of the T2, and your build looks so simple and elegant.
Litespeed T5 | No. 22 Great Divide | Ridley Helium SL | No. 22 Reactor

by Weenie

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thank you! I'm afraid it's not as elegant as that Reactor of yours :beerchug:
Current:
T2

Retired: