Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 pm 

c60rider wrote:
I know that's the end of the world for many on here who deal with 0.1 of a gram weight savings but each to their own I'm happy

...but this is the weightweenies forum. The very essence of this forum is about geeking-out and counting grams. :D

My guess is that your complete rig is in the 8.8-9.0 Kg range but likely higher (as pictured).

Enjoy your classic steel!

EM3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm 

em3 wrote:
c60rider wrote:
I know that's the end of the world for many on here who deal with 0.1 of a gram weight savings but each to their own I'm happy

...but this is the weightweenies forum. The very essence of this forum is about geeking-out and counting grams. :D

My guess is that your complete rig is in the 8.8-9.0 Kg range but likely higher (as pictured).

Enjoy your classic steel!

EM3

Ok i popped it back on the scales just to check and it showed as 8.6kg which seems closer to what you guys are saying no idea how it showed the lower weight before :noidea:
But low weight isn't the point of this kind of build and I appreciate the great comments. Just lacking decent weather to test ride it. :(

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm 

C60rider, I don’t know about this era but can appreciate it very much. It looks fantastic. I am curious as how well those vintage brakes work compared to modern equipment?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm 

Mtek wrote:
C60rider, I don’t know about this era but can appreciate it very much. It looks fantastic. I am curious as how well those vintage brakes work compared to modern equipment?

I have to say I've no idea! The bike lay dormant for 15 years with a cracked tube and the brakes cleaned up and boxed away. Since then of course technology has improved but i suspect they'll be pretty decent not like some of the myths that are going around that delta brakes were poor. Historically they've won every major race going from the late 80s to early 90s. Ultimate stopping power will be better with current brakes but who really uses maximum power other than when racing or an emergency. I've used carbon fibre frames since so going back to my early days of a steel frame will be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm 

c60rider wrote:

Nice bike refurb there - reminds me of my steel Brian Rourke from the early 80s :thumbup:

Ref the widening the rear triangle to take 11 speed - do you know if it is a straightforward job ?? Home mechanic stuff ?

Basilic offered to lend me his widener kit but I have been a little hesitant :oops:

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:22 pm 

wobbly wrote:
c60rider wrote:

Nice bike refurb there - reminds me of my steel Brian Rourke from the early 80s :thumbup:

Ref the widening the rear triangle to take 11 speed - do you know if it is a straightforward job ?? Home mechanic stuff ?

Basilic offered to lend me his widener kit but I have been a little hesitant :oops:

:beerchug:

This was widened as part of replacing the chain stay that had cracked for which they actually replace both stays so it was a straightforward job to retrack it to 130mm from 126mm. I've no idea about using a widening kit but I'd have thought you could just spring the rear ends out to take a 130mm width. I did try my bora in the frame to check it would take a wider rim before I had it refurbished and it went in ok. Any widening kit would just be bending the stays out so I'd just try a modern wheel in the frame before trying to bend it wider.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm 

Hi c60rider....

That is a really nice build.... and a good weight considering those Deltas will weigh in at a kg each :D .

I had a very similar build to yours, modern Athena with Deltas but with modern Zondas also... I rode it for maybe 1 ride a year and the rest of the time it sat on my turbo as I loved the look of it and didn't feel the weight on the turbo.... In my opinion they really do look great but are pants to ride... yes they might be smooth as silk on the flat but as soon as the road goes up they are very hard work and I cant say I really enjoyed riding mine... I sold mine on a few months back without the Deltas and the Ds went yesterday... quite sad but you have to let these things go.... It did make me think about how a modern steel bike would ride and so I ordered a Stelbel Rodano which I should get early next year and I will be interested to see how much it rides better than the vintage stuff....

I hope you enjoy it even if it doesn't get out much!!

Cheers,
Lig.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 pm 

Lig wrote:
Hi c60rider....

That is a really nice build.... and a good weight considering those Deltas will weigh in at a kg each :D .

I had a very similar build to yours, modern Athena with Deltas but with modern Zondas also... I rode it for maybe 1 ride a year and the rest of the time it sat on my turbo as I loved the look of it and didn't feel the weight on the turbo.... In my opinion they really do look great but are pants to ride... yes they might be smooth as silk on the flat but as soon as the road goes up they are very hard work and I cant say I really enjoyed riding mine... I sold mine on a few months back without the Deltas and the Ds went yesterday... quite sad but you have to let these things go.... It did make me think about how a modern steel bike would ride and so I ordered a Stelbel Rodano which I should get early next year and I will be interested to see how much it rides better than the vintage stuff....

I hope you enjoy it even if it doesn't get out much!!

Cheers,
Lig.

Thanks very much for the comments. As you say I'm really liking just looking at it at the moment and would love a decent enough day to ride it but suspect it may stay hidden for a few months yet as the plan is a relaxing fair weather ride only when I'm not interested in power output etc. It will be fascinating to see what the ride quality is like 15 years on since I last rode it and having been on carbon fibre since. Although my latest is a C60 I don't feel it's a particularly big step up (if any) than my old Look that replaced the steel bike. And my memory of riding the carbon bike was that it felt stiffer in the bottom bracket area but again wasn't an enormous step up from the steel. That could just be my rose tinted specs of course though not planning on racing it up the local steepest hills or sprinting flat out but the weight isn't too bad at only 3lbs or so heavier than the C60.
Just been drooling over the Stelbel website that looks like a beauty!