Life after aero

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

That‘s indeed quite different than the Madone! Actually I would have guessed after aero you would go for comfort like a C60.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nixster

by Nixster

Great looking bike, I love that colour scheme on the Supersix.
Slightly surprised it's not lighter than that for a 48, some great parts choices there.
Have you got under 6kg after tuning the Speedplays?

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Yeah, the colour scheme is pretty heavy. Heavily clear coated.

It is 6050g with the tuned speedplays which i accounted into original build. 200G lighter with lightweight meilenstein's.

I just changed the bars recently. The schmolke didn't work too well with the extralite stem and plus i was wanting to try 380mm width. Went with the Sworks bar and it came in nicely at 171g. Lighter than the Schmolke i had. The diameter throughout the bar is narrower so it is easier for people with small hands to grip. However, it is also stiffer/harsher in feeling. Double edged sword as i feel like handling wise it feels more assured but the buttery smooth feeling is lost now. 380mm width works for me though and that is the biggest reason why i went with this bar.

There is also a kalloy uno -17 120mm stem coming that i want to try and i am in talks to potentially bond something to this bar if it works but it is hard to find a -12 and lower 120mm stem that is carbon and bondable to anything.

jever98

by jever98

How do you like the Schmolke Evo bar?
----
No longer in the industry

jdc5r

by jdc5r

jever98 wrote:How do you like the Schmolke Evo bar?

Pretty good. What struck me was how compliant it made the front end feel. Must be something to do with how thin the carbon wall's are.

I am now on sworks carbon shallow drops now in 380mm and it actually comes in slightly lighter than the Schmolke SL at 171g. Changed it for fit reasons.

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

is it this one? https://www.bike24.com/p299309.html
cant really find sworks bars in 38cm around these parts.
They have a womens version which has narrow widths, was thinking on going for that.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

How about your average speed with this bike compared to the aero one ? Do you see/feel a difference ?

Nice build, thanks for sharing !

RMcC

by RMcC

Did you have to modify your outer Q ring to fit at the battery housing on the crank?

jdc5r

by jdc5r

kantcantcamp wrote:is it this one? https://www.bike24.com/p299309.html
They have a womens version which has narrow widths, was thinking on going for that.
Yes i am on the women's version. I got back on my madone yesterday with 400 bars and to me the 380 feels more natural. The wider bar feels more aggressive as it puts my elbow's outwards but the 380 feels like i can just hold the bars forever.
jeanjacques wrote:How about your average speed with this bike compared to the aero one ? Do you see/feel a difference ?

Thanks! I generally don't track AVG speed of a total ride but i do track weighted AVG power. On certain highspeed segments that are flatish/downhillish, yes, i am seeing an increase of power for me to hold similar speed to madone. For eg to retain a certain speed on the madone where i have multiple data points of me sitting at 170w at a given speed, on the supersix i am sitting at around 190w to achieve the same speed. Its a rough measure but having multiple rides going through the segment helps even out the data. It certainly feels it as well.
RMcC wrote:Did you have to modify your outer Q ring to fit at the battery housing on the crank?
Yes you have to modify the qring with a small incision to fit it over the quarq dzero's. Otherwise there is no way to install it. It seems to be fine though. I did the same to the Madone.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

did you make any adjustment to the settings of the dzero after installing oval rings?
i'm running qrings on my dzero as well, but i'm not sure if the measurement is still correct. read somewhere that people adjusted the slope?!

jdc5r

by jdc5r

eins4eins wrote:did you make any adjustment to the settings of the dzero after installing oval rings?
i'm running qrings on my dzero as well, but i'm not sure if the measurement is still correct. read somewhere that people adjusted the slope?!
TBH the maybe slight misreading whether its over or under doesn't bother me too much. I use the power meter more as a relative tool and in that way, as long as there are no changing factors, the power readings will be correct to an extent. ie if i improve i will see a higher power reading. Interestingly, i have stages previously on sisl2 with round rings and also on my mtb and i didnt see a massive difference in power readings when i moved first to quarq with qrings.

I am going back to round rings soon though so it wont be an issue shortly. Having repeated chain drop issues with qring to the extent that i dont really trust it anymore. I got it on the madone too but something to do with the madone's frame, it picks the chain back up when i shift upwards again. On the cannondale it gets stuck. Adjusted the FD mutliple times and even with derailleur set to rub on the small/big combo it still drops on power/off power/no bump/bumps.

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

jdc5r wrote:
kantcantcamp wrote:is it this one? https://www.bike24.com/p299309.html
Yes i am on the women's version. I got back on my madone yesterday with 400 bars and to me the 380 feels more natural. The wider bar feels more aggressive as it puts my elbow's outwards but the 380 feels like i can just hold the bars forever.
jeanjacques wrote:How about your average speed with this bike compared to the aero one ? Do you see/feel a difference ?

Thanks! I generally don't track AVG speed of a total ride but i do track weighted AVG power. On certain highspeed segments that are flatish/downhillish, yes, i am seeing an increase of power for me to hold similar speed to madone. For eg to retain a certain speed on the madone where i have multiple data points of me sitting at 170w at a given speed, on the supersix i am sitting at around 190w to achieve the same speed. Its a rough measure but having multiple rides going through the segment helps even out the data. It certainly feels it as well.
RMcC wrote:Did you have to modify your outer Q ring to fit at the battery housing on the crank?
Yes you have to modify the qring with a small incision to fit it over the quarq dzero's. Otherwise there is no way to install it. It seems to be fine though. I did the same to the Madone.
how is it in the flex department? Curious if they would make it with much more flex, because of the 'women's' tag. I'm very tempted to get one.

RMcC

by RMcC

I'm the same as above. I might pull the trigger on a set depending on your feedback.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

They are quite stiff feeling, when i changed out from the Schmolke i noticed it immediately. What i noticed was it wasn't as "compliant" as the schmolke interms of absorbing impacts. Definitely transfers more feel to your hands whether you like it or not. The tubing specialized chooses are quite skinny so if you have small hands it might be comfortable for you like me to grip onto.

I miss the compliance of the schmolke but the fit is more important to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

If memory serves I think I sold you that S-works power saddle ;)

Thanks for the review of both bikes. The comment about the Madone not being a pure climber, yet being exceptionally fast on the flats mimics reports I've heard from other riders. Kudos on the lovely build. In my experience, I didnt find the Madone to be all that adept at absorbing road vibration either haha
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3