2017 Supersix EVO Hi-Mod Disc (6.395kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

DOUG wrote:I also had my first fall on the new bike, through no fault of my own though. Was riding along a shared path I've ridden hundreds of times on my daily commute and rung my bell to go past a group of about 5 young guys. One of them basically tackled me off my bike, completely unprovoked and obviously unexpected. I think he hurt himself worse than he hurt me which is some consolation.

Anyway I landed on the grass and apart from a sore shoulder I'm otherwise fine. The bike didn't have a scratch on it either although the derailleur hanger was badly bent. I started to bend it back so I could still use it as a spare in a pinch but it was way too far gone.

RIP hanger. Welcome to cycling in Australia.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bloody larakin :evil:

Sounds very disconcerting
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

DOUG

by DOUG

Squashednuts wrote:
DOUG wrote:I also had my first fall on the new bike, through no fault of my own though. Was riding along a shared path I've ridden hundreds of times on my daily commute and rung my bell to go past a group of about 5 young guys. One of them basically tackled me off my bike, completely unprovoked and obviously unexpected. I think he hurt himself worse than he hurt me which is some consolation.

Anyway I landed on the grass and apart from a sore shoulder I'm otherwise fine. The bike didn't have a scratch on it either although the derailleur hanger was badly bent. I started to bend it back so I could still use it as a spare in a pinch but it was way too far gone.

RIP hanger. Welcome to cycling in Australia.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bloody larakin :evil:

Sounds very disconcerting

TBH I'm just glad no damage was done to the bike (aside from the hanger obviously)! He dropped the shoulder into me pretty hard but he hit the deck onto the asphalt so my landing by comparison was relatively soft. I saw him hobbling around after I got back on my bike and rode off so I'd say he came off second best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

You just got up and walked away without a word?

DOUG

by DOUG

evan326 wrote:You just got up and walked away without a word?

Haha well no after I figured out WTF happened there was a somewhat heated exchange which came pretty close to blows. Unfortunately there was 5 of them and one of me with no one else around so I thought better of it and decided since nothing was damaged and I wasn't hurt it was best to cut my losses. Not sure how well I'd be able to defend myself in a pair of cycling shoes anyway! It sucks but it's just one of those things. My pride tells me i should have got up swinging but once I assessed the situation my chances of coming out in front were pretty slim.

Stickman

by Stickman

DOUG wrote:

Haha well no after I figured out WTF happened there was a somewhat heated exchange which came pretty close to blows. Unfortunately there was 5 of them and one of me with no one else around so I thought better of it and decided since nothing was damaged and I wasn't hurt it was best to cut my losses. Not sure how well I'd be able to defend myself in a pair of cycling shoes anyway! It sucks but it's just one of those things. My pride tells me i should have got up swinging but once I assessed the situation my chances of coming out in front were pretty slim.

Ah yes, cycling in Australia. I had some guy overtake me quite safely on an otherwise empty clear road yesterday, but he felt the need to stick his arm out the window and give me the finger as he did so. Top work champ.

Doug, you made the right choice to walk away! As you said, 5 v 1 would only end badly for you, especially when you're in slippery footwear. Glad you and your bike are okay.

bomber

by bomber

Should've called the cops.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

DOUG

by DOUG

bomber wrote:Should've called the cops.

:lol: I wish that would have been an option but given most cops attitudes to cyclists I very much doubt the outcome would have been improved.

DOUG

by DOUG

Stickman wrote:
DOUG wrote:

Ah yes, cycling in Australia. I had some guy overtake me quite safely on an otherwise empty clear road yesterday, but he felt the need to stick his arm out the window and give me the finger as he did so. Top work champ.

Doug, you made the right choice to walk away! As you said, 5 v 1 would only end badly for you, especially when you're in slippery footwear. Glad you and your bike are okay.

Haha thanks Stickman, its sad that people feel the need to go out of their way to insult someone they've never met, I thought we were supposed to be a laid back bunch? I find in most cases unless circumstance require a response its best to just walk away, besides I'm a lover not fighter.

DOUG

by DOUG

Anyway that's all for another thread! The bike was not injured and my shoulder is back to 100% so the show must go on. Next cab off the rank is some new hoops but Mrs DOUG has made it quite clear that my CAAD10 has gotta go before any more purchases. Fair enough, I do have about 10 bikes at the moment and our garage is somewhat cluttered. I hate selling bikes but given the CAAD is basically the Al version of the Evo then it doesnt pain me too much. I have loved every minute riding that bike though so it will still be sad to see it go. Will be working on it tonight to put it back together and hopefully sell it off nice and quick so i can get these wheels happening.

Antoine

by Antoine

May be next time don't ring your bell, just go through or around the group, so they won't have the time to think or do anything.
That's what I do when riding on a shared path, and also I feel ringing a bell is somewhat agressive, I don't like it when I'm just walking.
You can't ride fast on a shared path anyway, there are many hazards.

DOUG

by DOUG

I dunno, kind of damned if you do damned if you don't, they moved over and there was plenty of room, didn't really count on being assaulted! Luckily i slowed down quite a lot before passing so was probably only doing 15kmh.

Stickman

by Stickman

10 bikes?!?!?!? :D

ms6073

by ms6073

Stickman wrote:As you said, 5 v 1 would only end badly for you, especially when you're in slippery footwear. Glad you and your bike are okay.

I always thought that you folks from down under considered that fair to be odds. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

DOUG

by DOUG

Stickman wrote:10 bikes?!?!?!? :D

Ha yeah things got a bit out of hand, I think its actually 9 but whos counting :mrgreen: I have a Malvern Star 5 star board racer from the 1930's and an old Peugeot road bikethat are currently in pieces being restored so i guess i really only have 7-8 functional bikes at the moment. One of them is my wife's MTB as well although I dont think she has ridden it for about 12 months!

JScycle

by JScycle

Could we please see a photo of the 'stable'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com