2017 Supersix EVO Hi-Mod Disc (6.395kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

Have been wanting to build a Supersix for years but ended up "settling" for the CAAD10 Black Inc Disc that I've been riding for the past few years (got an amazing deal and couldnt pass it up).

I love the CAAD but the time has come to move on. I haven't seen too many disc builds on here so hopefully this is something that piques peoples interest, anyway here's a quick run down of the build list, still a few things to workout/weigh. Not sure if the claimed frame weights include the BB, headset, seat post collar and hanger but I'll be unpacking the frame tonight so I can confirm then + take a few photos.

Should be able to knock a few grams off by cutting steerer and seat post + a lighter seat post collar. Will build it up and see how much weight I've missed! Ultimate aim will be to get it under 6.5kg which will be easily doable with a lighter set of wheels but I'm really enjoying the Bontragers (running them tubeless) for the time being as an all round, everyday wheelset. Anyway this is my first ground up build so feel free to add anything I might have missed or make any suggestions for similar components that might be able to shave some weight without breaking the bank.

This build list will update as i go
Last edited by DOUG on Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

junchen

by junchen

Nice build list. Pics pls!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks! Once I unbox the frame Ill take a few quick snaps. Wont be able to start building until the weekend though.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

The list reads well

It'll be interesting to see how many Of the claimed weights are accurate.

I'm a fan a discs, commute about 250kms a week.
It's confidence inspiring knowing that I can stop well in the wet.
It's been a wet summer, wettest since 1974 according to the local newspaper.
Also live near some decent hills - discs great.
Competing - my bike is way better than my legs

The SS Evo looks like a great bike.

:thumbup:
Watching with interest
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

jeffy

by jeffy

this is relevant to to my interest. lots of pics please.

Delorre

by Delorre

DOUG wrote:Have been wanting to build a Supersix for years but ended up "settling" for the CAAD10 Black Inc Disc that I've been riding for the past few years (got an amazing deal and couldnt pass it up).

I love the CAAD but the time has come to move on. I haven't seen too many disc builds on here so hopefully this is something that piques peoples interest, anyway here's a quick run down of the build list, still a few things to workout/weigh. Not sure if the claimed frame weights include the BB, headset, seat post collar and hanger but I'll be unpacking the frame tonight so I can confirm then + take a few photos.

Should be able to knock a few grams off by cutting steerer and seat post + a lighter seat post collar. Will build it up and see how much weight I've missed! Ultimate aim will be to get it under 6.5kg which will be easily doable with a lighter set of wheels but I'm really enjoying the Bontragers (running them tubeless) for the time being as an all round, everyday wheelset. Anyway this is my first ground up build so feel free to add anything I might have missed or make any suggestions for similar components that might be able to shave some weight without breaking the bank.

Headset, BB, expander and other items should be added to your estimate weight. My guess is 6,8 kg with the current parts. But lots of places to optimise 8)

DOUG

by DOUG

@Delorre yes youre correct, wasnt sure if the BB would be included in the frame wieght but it would appear not. And once i cut the steerer and seatpost i think you'll be pretty close with your 6.8kg estimate (build list updated in the OP for this thread).

Anyway heres a few quick snaps (hope Google photos plays nice). First of all the frame set.

Frame weight (inc. hanger) with no BB and headset. Pretty close to the claimed weight of 829g which i assume is without the hanger. I also removed the cable stops as Ill be running etap so no use for them. Cannondale thought ahead here and included a handle full of little rubber grommets to plug any screw holes that would normally hold the cable stops.
Fork (Uncut)

So far so good, obviously quite a few places i can shave some weight but I will get it built up with the parts list I currently have and then upgrade over the next few months once I have some km's on the bike. Should be able to get building tomorrow all going well!
Last edited by DOUG on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffy

by jeffy

such a tease with those non-working links

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

OMG, where are the photos. Dying to see this

DOUG

by DOUG

Damn was hoping google photos would work. Will fix the links
Last edited by DOUG on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DOUG

by DOUG

Ok hopefully they're fixed. I couldnt get the tapatalk upload to work either!

DOUG

by DOUG

Some progress.
BB installed using my "ghetto" bearing press. Cups are from the park tool BB removal tool.

Last edited by DOUG on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DOUG

by DOUG

Measure twice cut once!
Last edited by DOUG on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DOUG

by DOUG

So hit my first snag. The ID of the steerer is too small and the top cap won't fit!

It drops straight into the steerer on my CAAD. It looks like the wall thickness of the carbon is slightly thicker on the Super six for some reason. The actual expander fits no problem.

I could take it back to the shop for a replacement but God knows how long that will take. Was thinking of just taking to the cap with a file and removing a tiny bit of material. I don't think I would need to remove more than. 0.1-0.2mm from the diameter.
Last edited by DOUG on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

DOUG

by DOUG

So I decided to just get out the dremel and remove the material from the top cap. Fits in fine and won't affect its operation at all. Better than waiting for an answer from Cannondale. Not great from the manufacturer but no harm done in the end really.

Fork weight once I cut the steerer

Last edited by DOUG on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com