2017 Supersix EVO Hi-Mod Disc (6.395kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Lots of inspiration here, pulling together my own disc build but likely to sneak over 7kg. It seams that is largely down to using dura ace 9120 hydro/mechanical.

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the build. Will get some proper photo's in the near future.

So bit of an update, the MCFK wheels are fantastic. Spin up nicely and roll for days. They definitely feel very light, maybe even a little bit twitchy compared to the Bontragers (?) but being my first WW wheel set i kinda expected that. Once the road tilts upwards they really become noticeable. I had to shim the disc in order to clear the caliper but that's pretty common with the Supersix from what I've read.

Anyway that aside the front hub has an issue, some bad creaking coming from the hub when any side load is applied straight "out of the box". At first i thought i hadn't greased everything properly but after covering everything in sight with grease still the creaking persists. Getting another axle kit to see if its an issue with the axle but if that doesn't eliminate the creaking then I'm thinking its either the bearings themselves or the bearings slipping inside the hub shell. A bit annoying but these things happen. Hopefully changing the axle sorts it out and I can put some decent k's on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

So Extralite are replacing the hub which unfortunately means it will need to be rebuilt but them's the breaks i guess. I've actually been riding it the last couple of weeks because even though it creaks like a 30y.o sprung mattress the wheels still feel and look awesome.

I recently re-did the tape (Silca Platinum 21mm) because it was going down faster than I liked and also fitted some new tubeless valves (Silca Aluminium). So far they have been perfect, no leaks, lightweight and the black valves look great. I also added in a bit of extra sealant (its summer so it dries out quickly) and added a go pro mount to the Garmin mount. All up this added 60g or so and I'm back up to 6.55kg but i do have plans to bring that back down. Against my better judgement I have added an "alternative parts" list to my spreadsheet complete with gram savings and cost.

I already have the Ti KEO's on my Canyon which i really only use for crits and flat rides so they will be the first part change out to make. Considering purchasing the Hyperstem as well as its not a huge outlay and pretty good bang for buck. Not sure about the KCNC rotors though, will have to do some research here before committing but they would be significantly lighter and almost 1:1 for $:g. Only question would be performance but being 64kg wringing wet I think they would be more than enough.

I would consider the Schmolke Bars at some point but I can think of a lot of other things i could spend $500 on TBH.

The MCKF Seatpost is crazy expensive but it does look pretty rad so its still on the table. Would be one of the last things to upgrade though I think as the SAVE seatpost certainly holds its own compared to the far more expensive offerings plus its really comfortable.

I should add that the prices quoted are at the current EUR/AUD exchange and I havent bothered look for deals so the cost/g figure should be taken with a grain of salt. They are indicative though. I will take some more pics with the new wheels and stem i guess and maybe write up a review of the the bike thus far, been crazy busy of late but will try and get to it in the next couple of weeks.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

DOUG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 am

Not sure about the KCNC rotors though, will have to do some research here before committing but they would be significantly lighter and almost 1:1 for $:g. Only question would be performance but being 64kg wringing wet I think they would be more than enough

Bad luck about the wheels...but good you're getting hub replaced.

Are your rotors centrelock or bolt on?
It seems like a reasonably cost effective way of reducing weight, as long as they have the same stopping power.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing...my rotors are centrelock

DOUG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 am

I already have the Ti KEO's on my Canyon which i really only use for crits and flat rides so they will be the first part change out to make.
Have you ever used Dura Ace pedals?

I'm wondering how they compare to the TI Keo's as Dura Ace weigh about 250g

I really like what you're doing in terms of adding lightness to the bike. :thumbup:

It's inspiring me to loose a few grams from my porker :beerchug:
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks! The Extralite hubs are 6 bolt so there's plenty of options out there. I think I'll just give the KCNC rotors a go, if they don't perform then it's no big deal but it's worth trying for sure. At the very least I can post my thoughts on here for someone else considering going down that route.

I think I'll buy the Hyperstem as well, just tossing up between the +/-12 or the +/-6 deg. I'm thinking I'll stick with the +/-6 deg at this stage and maybe swap the large cone spacer for the small washer Cannondale supplied with the frame. The good thing about the Hyperstem is it has the same stack height as the 3T so I don't need to find a spacer or cut the steerer to fit it.

I haven't ridden Shimano pedals for about 7 years and even then they were Ultegra's. The reason I changed to Keos in the first place was due to the Garmin Vectors I used to own but I really liked the positive click when they engaged and to me they always felt like they were more stable. Of course the weight factor was also a consideration.

Anyway glad the info is of use to someone. This is my daily driver from commutes to long Sunday rides (might even race it a bit). I plan on keeping it for at least 3-4 years maybe longer so it needs to be as light but also as durable as I can make it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Love this bike! Well done on the weight :thumbup:

DOUG

by DOUG

Just realised i never posted a pic of the new shoes. I de-stickered them because the MCFK decals were pretty loud. Might get some stealth ones made up but TBH I actually really like the understated look without any decals at all.

I have since changed the valves to some shorter Vittoria ones. Theyre black as well so dont stand out as much as the silver ones shown above.

The front wheel is currently back at the wheelbuilders having the new hub laced up. Extralite were kind enough to replace the hub without too much trouble (even if they were a little slow getting it here). Hopefully no more issues from this point forward. I have also ordered the KCNC rotors which should be here in a week or so. Will fit them up and post my thoughts once they arrive.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

Super clean build Doug :) Thanks for reaching out

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks Alex. Looking forward to seeing yours built up!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Great build :thumbup: I've been hesitant to open your thread and maybe I shouldn't have, but what done is done :D A lot of similarities with my build, fitting and even physique (I'm ~65kg too). The MCFK/Extralite wheelset was an option I seriously considered until very recently, but Light-Bicycle has finally teased the road disc flyweight rims due to late 2018, so I opted to wait a bit. Depending on how Berd spokes perform on my XC wheelset, I might spend the money saved on rims for lighter spokes. Considering LB 35mm rim weight will be on par with MCFK, the estimated wheelset weight should turn out in 1060g range or 1140g with 400g 45mm rims, but I'm still on the fence about rim height.

Regarding rotors, take a look at Ashima too. Coming from two 140mm KCNC Razors, I had get a 160mm for front because Hope RX4 supports only one rotor size. To my surprise, 140mm Razor was a bit lighter than 140mm Ai2, but 160mm Ai2/Neon are lighter than Razor in the same size, so I went with an AiNeon and mismatched rotors.

The Darimo T1 seatpost will be lighter than MCFK too, it also costs 230EUR without VAT and you can request additional customization, like 4ibanez did.

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks Klaster. Have been looking at the Darimo stuff and am seriously considering it for this build. Their MTB bars look really good as well, I'm certainly tempted!

Small update, I received the new rotors and weighed them. They came out within 1g of the claimed weight so that's a good start!

Will get them fitted and tested hopefully this weekend.

ggman

by ggman

Nice build! How did you fit the go pro mount? Is this something that Fetha does? I'm looking for a decent stem garmin and go pro combo mount.
2017 CAAD12 Black Inc (budget-ish build in planning stage https://goo.gl/Mh4PZg)

DOUG

by DOUG

Hi ggman, I used the GoPro mount off my K-Edge combo and attached it to the bottom of the Fetha mount using the spare screw holes. I've had a couple of different Fetha mounts and they all have the ability to do this, the threads are the same that K-Edge use on their combo mounts as well which makes it easy to swap between bikes if you need to.

ggman

by ggman

Thanks DOUG. That's good to know, I also have a K-Edge combo
2017 CAAD12 Black Inc (budget-ish build in planning stage https://goo.gl/Mh4PZg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Very very nice build. Particularly like the green, not enought of that out there.

I'm building a Caad 12 disc which has the same thru axle fork as your Evo.

I want to replace the boat anchor that comes with it but having trouble getting the specs right. The existing axle says its 12mm x 100, 125mm length with 1.5 pitch thread.

On it is written: 17C3 QR51M-12-125-P1.5-10

Do you mind sharing the size of your Carbon-ti thru axle?

Thanks!
GJ