New replacment Lapierre warranty replacment Xelius frame, rebuild.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Having recently submitted a warranty claim to Chainreaction cycles for my cracked Lapierre Xelius FDJ 2104 frame. Which I was so proud of, my first proper light weight-ish bike. Which I had recently upgraded to full dura ace 9000 and Mavic wheels. The warranty claim was passed, took some time. Nearly two months in total, but fair play to both companies, once the claim was passed the replacement frame and other components where shipped out very quickly. Chain reaction, supplied a new BB, carbon seat post. Ultegra direct mount calpiers and a complete set of cables. Which I thought was very professional on their behalf. Well the frame arrive last Saturday, I was originally advised that I would be receiving a Lapierre Xelius FJD600 Sl 2017. Which I was pleasantly surprised, as my original frame was a 400. Well to my disappointment, I did not receive the promised frame. In face it was a 2016 model, but I was shocked to see the word ultimate on the front fork. Having looked further into this, I’m now convinced that I have actually received a Lapierre Xelius FJD 2016 Ultimate frame. Frame weight inc hanger and bottom plastic cover was 887gr, fork with cut tube was 292gr. I’ve not totalled all the items yet, or weighed the complete bike. I’ll be doing this later on this week, but here is a list of some of the bike’s components. I will be looking to change the seat post to a lighter unit, but not to sure yet. As I might change the stam and bars to a different brand altogether. Any recommendations, on other items that I can change/upgrade to make this a lighter bike? I will be sticking with Shimano for all the major components, as I like the way that they work. Plus the reliability, and looks.

Description Weight
Lapierre Xelius SL Ultimate fdj, XS frame. 887gr
Xelius SL Ultimate fork, with cut down steer tube. 292gr
Seat post wedge. 18gr
FSA Head set+top cap. 63gr
Water bottle cage bolts X 4. 10gr
Steere tube expander. 29gr
Carbon top cap, plus bolt. 10gr
2 X Caron top cap stpacers 6gr
Dura Ace 9000, rear calpier. Plus Mavic pads 147gr
Shimano Dura-Ace R9110 Direct Mount Road Brake 155gr
Dura Ace 9000, rear mech. 161gr
Dura Ace 9000, fron mech. Plus chain catcher. 77gr
Dura Ace 9000, right hand side crank. With 50/34 rings 437gr
Dura Ace 9000, left hand side crank arm. 172gr
Dura Ace 9000, shifter/brake levers. 347gr
27.2mm brand X carbon seat post. Will be changing this soon. 242gr
Shimano 9100, BB. 54gr
Inner gear and brake cables 50gr
Outer gear and brake cables 55gr
Quick Releases 47gr
Continental GP Attack II Folding Road Tyre and ultra sonic inner tube. 225gr
Continental GP Force II Folding Road Tyre and ultra sonic inner tube. 236gr
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith Haute Route front wheel, plus Continental GP Attack II Folding Road Tyre and ultra sonic inner tube. 893gr
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith Haute Route, rear wheel plus Continental GP Force II Folding Road Tyre and ultra sonic inner tube. Plus Shimano Shimano Ultegra R8000 11 Speed Cassette 11/30 1367gr
Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm Bar Tape, plus plugs 60gr
ImageIMG_4980 [/url]

ImageIMG_4947 [/url]

ImageIMG_4935 [/url],

ImageIMG_4930 [/url]

Any comments appreciated, as I would like to get it down to as light as possible.
Last edited by merlinxlm on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

I've always liked the FDJ team bikes, looking forward to the pics. Nice build too :thumbup:

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Finally had time to see what tha total weight was, just shy of 14.7lbs. Very happy with this weight. Any recommendations on further, not too expensive upgrades/weight saving appreciated. Would be nice to get it under 14.5lbs?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Definitely the 2016 livery, but can't tell if it's the 600 frame or Ultimate. Either way it's a very nice bike and you're building it up properly.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I've had a good look and cant seem to find any decals, saying which model. The the forks do have Ultimate written on them. One thing that I have noticed is, that there is hardly any paint at all on it. The finish and workmanship, is outstanding. Much better than my older frame.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Update on the bike metric weight, which is 6.68kg.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

Your frame is very, very light. In fact, the lightest Xelius I've seen on the Internet. Considering that, on this forum, an XL frame weighs 1,170g (viewtopic.php?t=137313) and an L frame weighs 1,140g (viewtopic.php?t=146963). You said your frame is almost unpainted, so I guess that factors into the light weight, plus of course the XS size. Oh my, paints are heavy!

KCookie

by KCookie

You could change your expander, top cap, cables and bolts to black TI. This would save you some weight and not to expensive. Happy modding. :)

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Deffo on the expander, its quite heavy. Ti bolts, yes a good idea. But do Dura ace components come with ti bolts? Cables, what would people recomended? As these new cables that I’ve just fitted work a treat.

KCookie

by KCookie

I changed my shimano cables to Jagwire Road Elite, and most bolts have been changed to black TI from Toronto cycles, they are usually around a third of the weight.

Yetiunio

by Yetiunio

Lappiere produce amazing bikes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

They do in deed, I’m looking forward to working with this project.