Argon 18 Krypton

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Hey I recently sold the C60. I was not supposed to build a new because I will not be able to ride much ..(geo and time limitations)

Anyway I just build this frame today,

Frame and fork: Argon 18 Krypton size med frame was 1090 without hardware , fork was 400 non cut
Cockpit:Deda superleggero/ leggera combo
Wheelset: fulcrum racing Quattro LG
Groupset: Ultegra 6800
Saddle: romin evo pro
Seatpost : Argon 27.2. 282 grams...this has to go
Skewers: Lightweight

I want to lighten the bike on the cheap any ideas will be appreciated .

PS those Argon 18 frame are legit , they are really good

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

They are indeed good looking bikes.
If you are not able to ride much, then I would just ride it as it is now.
Put the upgrade funding in when you can really enjoy riding those upgrades fully.
No one can sneer at the build you have now, it looks like it could take a beating.
I would however dump the Contis for something more enjoyable like some Veloflex or Vittoria rubber.

For cheap light savings, consider bolt tuning, affordable skewers like Far & Near and similar, post, cutting the steerer down, cable/housing. You won't save much. The biggest offender will be the wheels, where a lot of savings can be found. But I bet when you have now rides really well, so just rock it 'as is' and as things wear out, replace with something lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Stolichnaya wrote:They are indeed good looking bikes.
If you are not able to ride much, then I would just ride it as it is now.
Put the upgrade funding in when you can really enjoy riding those upgrades fully.
No one can sneer at the build you have now, it looks like it could take a beating.
I would however dump the Contis for something more enjoyable like some Veloflex or Vittoria rubber.

For cheap light savings, consider bolt tuning, affordable skewers like Far & Near and similar, post, cutting the steerer down, cable/housing. You won't save much. The biggest offender will be the wheels, where a lot of savings can be found. But I bet when you have now rides really well, so just rock it 'as is' and as things wear out, replace with something lighter.

Than you for your answer, yep I ordered the hylix seatpost That would save me 125ish grams for 45 bucks, not bad. Cut the steerer today another 30 grams from the carbon and the spacers.you are on the money about the wheels. I owned various wheelset and to be honest theses fulcrum ride as well or better Than way higher priced wheels. They are heavy as hell but they maintain speed quite well.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

a good place to start losing weight without spending a fortune would be light inner tubes, gear/brake cables, thin bar tapes, some ee/Cane Creek compression plug or Extralite Ultrastar (not sure if it works with Argon 18's 3D headset), and some light-ish bottle cages from the likes of Planet X

e.g. 65g Bontrager Race X Lite vs. generic 120g tube, multiply that by two and the saving is huge; you could try going even further with Bontrager Race XXX Lite/Continental Supersonic which weighs around 50-55g but personally the price spike is too high and so is risk of puncture.

and if you're into sourcing unbranded stuff from the far east, there's also bare carbon saddle shaped exactly like Romin Evo at a budget price tag. however I can't vouch for safety as I have never tried them.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Thank you all, you are right about the inner tubes I haven't realized of heavy the generic ones were. I was riding tubs so I'm kinda new about the clinchers stuff. I don't know with the proprietary headset system if I can swap the expander, the expander is is not that heavy somewhere in 20's. It the cap and nut who are really heavy. I've ordered the absolute black top cap and MFCK expander shall see...My best friend and riding buddy will give a lighter and yet solid wheelset, American Classic Victory 30 fitted with veloplug they are 1490 grams, so it's a solid 300 g gain. What's funny is that enjoy building this ´´ cheaper bike ´´ than a 12k+ colnago c60. Its all about the journey as they say!

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Some updates

New seatpost

Stock one tuned

New one tuned

Seat collar

Tune

Stem cap/stem

New wheels

American Classic victory, 1562 grams so a nice 225 grams saved!

And the funny one, I was a competitive weightlifter for many years , now retired. I don't know why I'm chasing grams on my bike when I look like that haha....Image

Would be easier to drop some weight !

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bike is nice, should work for you.

About you? haha, yes why indeed chase grams? We have had some superfit weightlifters, bodybuilders, pro rugby players etc. join our groups over the years. It's all good until the road tilts up even the slightest amount and then it's see ya' later. Even the junior girls will drop the big guys. And the big legs are no help at all. Just a pile more weight to move in a circle about a million times.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Mr.Gib wrote:Bike is nice, should work for you.

About you? haha, yes why indeed chase grams? We have had some superfit weightlifters, bodybuilders, pro rugby players etc. join our groups over the years. It's all good until the road tilts up even the slightest amount and then it's see ya' later. Even the junior girls will drop the big guys. And the big legs are no help at all. Just a pile more weight to move in a circle about a million times.

All true... in TT I can keep most guys then when we reach 4% its me suffering and them talking. On rolling terrain I'm usually not bad. My ftp usually is somewhere 320-watts. I can sustain 2000 wats for 10-15secs.

themidge

by themidge

Heavyhitter wrote: I can sustain 2000 wats for 10-15secs.

:faint: :thumbup:
Have you thought about doing track?

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

themidge wrote:

In canada , and with my current occupation it's mostly impossible as the training.center is like 5 hours from home and we don't even own a velodrome...they train in Los Angeles.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Hi, my goal was 6.8 but it won't happen until I spend a lot more money and or change wheelset. I won't do it cause I wants to build a nice bike for less than 3000$ CAD. I'm at 2900. I was really close to 6,8 but I then purchased a pioneer PM (left side) and added the bottle cage

Here's the pic of the final build

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

shorter headset spacer cup, less drop on the stem angle and cut the excess steerer tube. that will get you a few grams off.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Heavyhitter wrote:
themidge wrote:

In canada , and with my current occupation it's mostly impossible as the training.center is like 5 hours from home and we don't even own a velodrome...they train in Los Angeles.

You should definitely make an effort to get to a velodrome, track sprinting is a completely different sport and if you've got the bike handling it sounds like you'd go ok.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Heavyhitter wrote:
themidge wrote:

They don't go to LA anymore. They go here: http://www.mattamynationalcyclingcentre.ca/en/index.asp

LouisN

by LouisN

Edit. Found it .

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com