CAADburys - '17 Purple CAAD12 Disc (7.86kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

This is my newly acquired (used) CAAD12 Disc.

From a bit of Googling I think it's a 2016 bike that would have arrived with Dura-Ace. It's now fitted with Ultegra mechs and a 105 cassette and chain. It's lost the Hollowgram too and has the cheap SI chainset and FSA rings. It's also quite likely that I have that completely wrong and it's not a 2016 bike and came with Ultegra from the factory, I'm eager to hear any better info on it.

It's got a missmatch of bits on it, Easton EA90 XD wheels with 26mm Specialized Turbo Pros, 120mm 3T stem, Ergonova bars etc.

I intend to slim it down a bit and also fit mudguards and lights to prep it for the British winter. All I've done so far is to fit a set of Look Keo Carbons, a carbon Bontrager bottle cage and a Garmin mount. Current weight is 8.30kg.

Plan is to get the fit the same as my Supersix Evo so that they're nice to swap between. I'll update here as I progress...
Last edited by 573 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

Nice one!

Quite heavy though, are you planning on any upgrades or just keeping it as a winterbike?

evan326

by evan326

Nice caad12, I like that color a lot. The chain looks short though.

by 573

It's definitely a winter-bike, so some upgrades but keeping it relatively sensible. I'd like to chop 1kg+ off it though, including adding mudguards.

The chain is really short! Apparenly new cassette and chain just tfitted by a bike shop. It's actually too short to shift into the lowest range on the cassette. New chain definitely needed...

TonyM

by TonyM

573 wrote:It's definitely a winter-bike, so some upgrades but keeping it relatively sensible. I'd like to chop 1kg+ off it though, including adding mudguards.

The chain is really short! Apparenly new cassette and chain just tfitted by a bike shop. It's actually too short to shift into the lowest range on the cassette. New chain definitely needed...

What is you plan to get at least 1 kg less?

by 573

I'm not sure yet - so much of it is 'heavy' though, that there are loads of options to cut weight; It's just working out what's most cost effective. Ultegra is quite weighty, it has a large-range 105 cassette, chunky 120mm alu stem + wide alu bars and alu post, heavy saddle, heavy cyclocross wheels - in fact they're tubeless yet fitted with both tubes AND sealant for some reason. It's also got double-wrapped tape that goes almost all the way up to the stem. So, lots of stuff...

Having said that, its really nice to ride. In fact it's definitely quicker than my Supersix on broken surfaces which is reinforcing my suspicion that that would be much quicker on the wider tyres and deeper rims I'm planning for it. After the CAAD it feels very harsh on the SLRs and 23mm Veloflex Corsas.

by 573

One of the tyres was on 'upside down' in that the logo didn't line up with the valve so I rectified that and made some minor adjustments to the bar angle and saddle set up. I was then pleased with the set up between the 2 bikes, position felt very similar on them both.

So I started to get some good rides in on the CAAD, using it whenever the weather was a bit iffy. I really like the wider tyres, and even though the bike is heavier, because it can cope with a rough surface better and also has more traction to corner quicker I'm actually faster on it over certain segments.

Then the most bizarre thing happened... Whilst riding it, the top-tube was struck by a conker (horse-chestnut) falling out of a tree as I rode underneath. It started off as a small, soft dent, but after riding the bike again turned into more of a crease. I started a thread on it here if anyone's interested.

So after just a few rides the yellow CAAD is no more.

by 573

So I ordered the 2017 CAAD 12 framest which comes in what I think is a fantastic purple colour. I really think Cannondale manage to take some really unflattering catalogue pictures of their bikes. Some of them look so dull in the photos but in reality the colour-schemes are amazing.

Easy then, swap all the bits from the yellow one, onto the purple one...

Fork weighs 430g uncut (with a huge steerer for what it's worth).

Frame is 1182g (with seatpost clamp and derailleur hanger).

....and tonight's progress, forkcrown, headset, BB circlips and rear brake on.

This bike has the Shimano quick-connects. I assume I ignore them and just replace the olive and insert at the caliper end and then bleed the system?

by 573

Purple CAAD build has progressed. This is my first frame swap and I've been really enjoying it, specifically some of the details of how the bike is designed. I really like the small plastic insert that manages the cables and brakehose around the BB.

It's amazing how different the colour looks in the sun, I'm still really pleased with it.

...and this was how I finished up this evening, it just needs the rear brake bleeding, chain fitting, steerer cut, bartape and derailleurs setting up. Hopefully have a first ride on it tomorrow.

by 573

As I'd fitted a Berk saddle to my Evo, I had the Fizik Arione R1 to move over to the CAAD. Weight difference was a useful 107g over the standard Cannondale saddle.

The toptube of the CAAD is even more horizontal than the Evo. The seatpost fitted is huge too and is also a Di2 ready one with a sturdy aluminium insert at the bottom. The red tape marks how much I have inserted into the frame.

Chopping a sensible amount off the bottom lost a pleasing 48g

It's now 'finished', gears adjusted and brakes bled and I've had a short ride on it. I've really enjoyed the build up from a bare frame.

Awaiting bar tape for it to be completely finished; current weight is 8.10kg though.

by 573

I taped this with my preferred Deda bartape and have been riding it instead of the Evo whenever the weather is a bit iffy. The colour is fantastic in the sunlight.

It rides really well. It's quite a bit less-compliant than the Evo so not as comfortable. It transmits much more of the road noise to the rider. I don't think that's all the frame though and think partly it's the stiff CX wheels that are on the CAAD and also partly the difference between the alloy bars this bike has and the carbon ones on the Evo.

The 26mm Specialized tyres were getting worn and I wanted something a bit wider so I swapped for a set of Vittoria Open Pave in 27mm. Annoyingly these measured up at the same 26mm, so I wish I'd gone for a 28mm or wider really. I also stripped the graphics off the Cannondale seatpost with acetone.

Reason for the Open Paves was that I was off on a trip to Belgium to ride the cobbles. Here's a cheeky pic outside the Tour of Flanders Museum.

Back in the UK, with the nights drawing in I set about sorting my lighting set-up. Eventually settling on the Raceware combined Garmin and Exposure Diablo mount. I like the Skunkworks bikes Exposure mounts but they require you to use an Enve mount on an Enve stem (heavy) or a Feather mount (heavy). I'll keep looking into other combos to use a Skunkworks mount but only if I can find a better Garmin mount that's compatible.

I also recently took off the 3T stem which I didn't ever like and replaced with a lighter Kalloy Uno like I've used before. As usual I stripped the graphics off it and replaced the bolts with black Ti ones. I also fitted an Extralite expander and a Kustomcaps topcap with a motivational print to remind me to stop being a wuss and to get on with it even if the weather's bad.

For reference, with the bartape and new mount wirth light holder weight is now 8.16kg. It needs some lighter wheels, chainset and cassette (it's fitted with a 105).

DOUG

by DOUG

Looks great, your Evo is one of my fav's on the forum as well. I've actually just gone the opposite way from a CAAD10 to an Evo. Haven't had the chance to take the Evo for a proper ride yet but it feels a lot stiffer through the bottom bracket (especially out of the saddle) but even smoother over bumps.

I'm in two minds as to whether I should sell my CAAD though. They're just such a well made bike it will be difficult to part ways.

bencolem

by bencolem

Like it a lot. You’re right, that purple is fantastic.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Great colour but the fact that a conker can dent a top tube is *f##k* retarded.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Reminds me of my old Cannondale M900 mtb great color. The old one looked great too.