2018 Project One Madone 9 - Warranty in progress... questions

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

oshkikimi

by oshkikimi

How is the weight of the bicycle?

Yetiunio

by Yetiunio

Nice bike! But Snabb is right, high profile wheels would be better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bored today... getting over some bronchitis and can't ride for another week or so. So I had the brilliant idea of trying a spot of color with some orange Lizard Skin bar tape... :roll: :oops:

I previously shortened the black tape to stop right behind the hoods for the maximum aero effect. But that setup is dangerously slippery IMO. Nto sure if I'll keep the orange, but definitely staying with fully taped tops

Last edited by Rich_W on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Oh, and another update. So when I ordered this project one build... I didn't go for the Bontrager Aerolus wheels... got the Vision Metron40s. What Trek doesn't tell you is they are watered down, OEM version... Metron 40LTD. Which means steel axles, steel freehub body. 1750g pieces of doo-doo. Lucky for me the rear hub developed a good 1/4" side to side play. Called up the good folks at FSA in Seattle and they upgraded me to the Metron40 SLs. Completely different quality wheelset. Stickers peeled.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Watered down? To hit a price point? and then ruin your reputation with warranty claims????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I don't know what it is, but ever since I discovered Supacaz tape, I'm a fan. Their colors are brighter then LS and just 'pop' more.

This is a cool machine! how do you like it rich?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Frankie - B wrote:I don't know what it is, but ever since I discovered Supacaz tape, I'm a fan. Their colors are brighter then LS and just 'pop' more.

My personal experience with neon yellow supacaz is that it develops black marks easily behind the bend where you grip with the thumbs in the drops (plus other places too) even when I wear gloves always, and they are not removable by cleaning agents even when they say it's washable. Love the Fizik neon yellow I have on right now in contrast, so easy to wipe down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Ozrider wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:11 am
Watered down? To hit a price point? and then ruin your reputation with warranty claims????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruined my reputation? huh? nevermind... read it again... you mean FSA's reputation. I will say they really took care of me by swapping for a higher quality wheelset less me paying to ship a double wheel box from NJ to Seattle
Last edited by Rich_W on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Frankie - B wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks Frankie - Truly does feel fast and planted. Sprints really well. Nothing to report other than what everyone else says about the Madone9. Cockpit points are typical for me. Surprising how well 9100 mechanical works. One of these days I'll find my hanging scale and post a weight.

FiftyOne

by FiftyOne

Lovely build. Not too over stated but a solid build of parts.

Whats the clearence like on the tyres?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

FiftyOne wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 am
Lovely build. Not too over stated but a solid build of parts.

Whats the clearence like on the tyres?
plenty of room for 28s. Look on the previous page on the thread there are pics of the tire clearance. Fifty One? Is this Dave P?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Long story short... had to break down the bike and send the frameset back to trek for warranty claim as the paint is chipping around the isospeed decoupler, the seat mast area has also been creaking for quite some time.

Likely the outcome will result in a replacement frameset, and if so, I think I'm going to opt for the U5 Vaporcoat minimal finish. The matte white has been a nightmare.

Breaking down the bike I dicovered my Fizik carbon rails were cracked. One side, the wrap tape was completely gone, the other a lenghwise crack. Before using a fizik, I checked with Trek's tech folks and was told the 7x10 works with Fizik's 7x9.

Anyone out there running fizik carbon rails on their madone 9? Wondering if perhaps I have the wrong clamps or was it a result of a hard hit in the saddle.

Anyone have any experience with Project One U5 Vaporcoat?

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

My money is on the saddle being the creaking noise.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

It just read like you still thought the Iso was the issue. :noidea: