Help Greg finish his C40

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

I don't much care for the Concor type shape, prefer something flatter. I like and have quite a few of 2002 ere slr's in both pad and carbon, is that "vintage" enough?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kgt

by kgt

What do you mean by Concor type? All the saddles I mentioned are flatter than the one you have now. No, SLR is not proper for a Colnago master.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I loved my C40 so much I bought a lifetime supply (five of them and no C50 any more despite my name here). Put whatever parts you want on the bike. My original C40 in 1995 started as an 8 speed Chorus bike with Precisa fork and was 10 speed Record with Flash when I sold it in 2005 (tired of the colour and the buyer hasn't sold it back to me ... yet). Three of my bikes are 11 speed Record because that's what I like, one is Record/Super Record 11 mix because SR was what Ribble had on sale when I decided to switch from 10 to 11, one is Chorus 11 because it's my bad weather/winter bike. Three have carbon FSA bars, two Deda alloy with a slightly flattened top. Both look OK to me. All just have some sort of alloy wheels (Racing Zero, Zonda, DT 190/Velocity Aerohead, Record/Velocity A23). I had been collecting all carbon Colnagos from C40 on but have sold all the others except the Extreme Power because no one has bought it yet. For an old guy (big and not light), C40s are great. Love yours by building it the way you'd like to ride it, not the way people on this or another website say you should build it. And look for a Star fork since they really do work well. They don't appear often on eBay but I found one a couple of years ago and have it as a spare.

glepore

by glepore

Jim-thanks for the encouragement. I'm not really hung up on how it ends up, I just wanted to solicit opinion on what folks would do with this canvas. I've made a couple decisions already-going with ec90 slx bars in 38 because they are compact and there was a cheap deal on ebay. No onerous graphics. I would have rather used my prima 199's b/c they're in inventory and correct, but I couldn't find a decent 90mm stem in 26 on short notice. If a short grammo comes along, I may switch back.

Crank is going to stay the quarq, I'll strip the graphics off. It'll look generic. if a good deal comes along on a wireless compact Shimano srm, that'll be the ticket.

Shift group? For the moment, the 7800 with a switch to Jagwire "ti" braided housing that won't look so fluro garish. At some point I'll put on Record 10 shifters and a Record carbon rear mech, along with the Record carbon cage fd. Just for variety. The parts don't owe me anything, and it'll be fun to go back and forth.

Brakes are an open question. The Ciamillo works really well with Reynolds Power and I hate to give up 90 grams to DA but I'm not sure that it doesn't look wrong. To me, not to anyone else. But again, I wanted input and still do.

Saddle. I'll go with something other than what's on the bike. Its not the graphics, its that it rides like all the other Aspide knockoffs- really stiff. Ok for 50k, not for 100k. But I'm not about to go to a 300g saddle for a "certain look". I hear kgt, and actually some of the saddles he mentioned are in the mid 200's but they're not known quantities to me. Likely I'll do the slr b/c I have a bunch doing nothing and I know I can tolerate them. They are from the era, at least, not like a Romin or something.

Wheels are going to be Velomax Ascents, stripped of logos. LEW's with straight pull hubs. Around 30ish mm, and around 1000g in tubular. Clincher wheels will be whatever isn't being used elsewhere, probably
the obnoxiously deep 25mm open mold wheels in the pics or something similar, unless I can get some HED Belgiums cheap. I like tire volume.

But man, I get the love these bikes get. My steel Colnago is a great ride, but this thing is in a completely different universe. The first bumpy steep hill I went down was "baby, where have you been all of my life"?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record