Zullo - Oria KK steel bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JLS

by JLS

Recently purchased a new frame to build up over the winter.
Frame uses oria KK tubing looks stunnning in the light.

Looking for some suggestions on the build especially the group set which I am undecided on.

Can't decide too go for campagnolo Athena 11 / record 10 / record 11 or even record titanium 9 if I can find the parts.

For stem I am thinking of painting a quill stem red and having polished bars with white tape.
Also a red flite saddle would look cool.

Here are some photos of the frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. I still have my last Zullo from my racing days (Columbus-tubed). Mine is built-up with Campagnolo 'C' Record, which is an interesting Group and much underrated.

JLS

by JLS

Geoff wrote:Ok, that's nice. I still have my last Zullo from my racing days (Columbus-tubed). Mine is built-up with Campagnolo 'C' Record, which is an interesting Group and much underrated.

I do really like the c record crankset which looks stunning imo.
Also it would look nice with some shamal wheels.

How does the c record ride compared to modern mechanical groupsets?

kgt

by kgt

I have a c record on my Colnago master with downtube shifters and delta brakes. Its performance is just great. Everything works perfect. IMHO better than a not perfectly tuned modern groupset.

Geoff

by Geoff

@JLS, there is no way to compare old Campagnolo with modern Campagnolo. There is no comparison.

I raced on Campagnolo Nuovo Record and Super Record for many years. In the late 80s, Campagnolo began to acknowledge that Shimano and Suntour were doing something different. The result was 'C' Record.

Now, 'C' Record, while it looks really modern, still retained the basic Campagnolo design. While it did incorporate dual sprung pivots, it was not a slant parallelogram design. The aero styling was just that: styling. In practise, there was not much different between 'C' Record and Super Record.

The most interesting thing about the Group, in my opinion, is the 'Delta' brake calipers. They were really beautiful. The problem was, they didn't stop too well. I have some Deltas and some Cobaltos, too. Nice product, but nothing like modern Record brakes, which are so good it is scary.

JLS

by JLS

Geoff wrote:@JLS, there is no way to compare old Campagnolo with modern Campagnolo. There is no comparison.

I raced on Campagnolo Nuovo Record and Super Record for many years. In the late 80s, Campagnolo began to acknowledge that Shimano and Suntour were doing something different. The result was 'C' Record.

Now, 'C' Record, while it looks really modern, still retained the basic Campagnolo design. While it did incorporate dual sprung pivots, it was not a slant parallelogram design. The aero styling was just that: styling. In practise, there was not much different between 'C' Record and Super Record.

The most interesting thing about the Group, in my opinion, is the 'Delta' brake calipers. They were really beautiful. The problem was, they didn't stop too well. I have some Deltas and some Cobaltos, too. Nice product, but nothing like modern Record brakes, which are so good it is scary.

Hmm maybe it's best to try and source campy 9 speed titanium parts then as it's got more of a modern performance with classic styling which I like. Also having a brake which works is important to me even though I weigh 60kg I broke my hip a month ago due to bad brakes.

The 9 speed group set looks better than the new black carbon group sets imo.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I would go with a Potenza silver groupset, not entirely Classic looking but a compromise...

kgt

by kgt

@JLS
I have Record 10 speed crankset, chorus ITA bb and chorus headest in case you are interested.
Attachments
17311338_1895250237386558_3929891030736752006_o.jpg
17311331_1895250190719896_8751683057702329105_o.jpg
17425140_1896770397234542_1493681361429385078_n.jpg

micky

by micky

Which team was it made for? Any info?

KB

by KB

JLS - That Colnago is a stunning looking bike. Maybe not up to modern tech, but that groupset is the most beautiful groupset ever IMO. Piu bella

JLS

by JLS

micky wrote:Which team was it made for? Any info?

No idea i dont think it was made for any particular team as the colour scheme is different to the team bikes that zullo sponsored.

It is a very lightweight tubeset so most likely made for amateur racers.

I am now contemplating sourcing super record 11 speed and going a bit modern.

JLS

by JLS

Stem arrived bars incoming.

Shall I go with a red Chris king grip it headset or maybe black?

kgt

by kgt

The stem does not look great IMHO :|
It is not that classy and the red does not match your frame's red.

Something like that would look much better:

c60rider

by c60rider

I would try and source some Athena silver 11 speed kit. It was stopped in 2015 but there's plenty about if you shop around and I think the crankset looks way better than the modern potenza 4 arm design. I've sourced the drivetrain myself earlier this year to get my old steel race bike back together and it has a similar amount of chrome plating to the Zullo. I tried a Campag carbon crankset on mine and didn't look right at all so silver would look perfect on this one. I also have delta brakes to go on mine and as for that old myth of them not stopping well, I really don't know where that comes from. For the era (25 years since they were last seen in pro ranks) they do a perfectly good job. They can't compare at all to the dual pivot of today but that can be said for all equipment a quarter of a century on. The main reason pros stopped using them and went back to the side pull version was due to the weight and they became obsolete when they introduced the first dual pivots. An all silver stem like the cinelli xa pictured would be a good fit. The frame is the star so subtle components would show it off at its best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com