My first road bike and my first build - UPDATE

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mtek

by Mtek

EDIT for a finished pic - Apologies about the poor indoor pic, but its raining out. I am very very happy with my bike.

This thread may be a little different...I've never owned a road bike (mtb only), nor have I ever built a bike. I had no idea what I wanted, other than be gravel friendly, so after some searching and reading, I decided on a BMC CX01. The frame kit just arrived, I plan to weigh everything as I go along. Any advise is greatly appreciated and I am hopeful other new WW may learn a thing or two a long the way as well. I am concerned about setting up a derailleur for now, the bottom bracket may be of concern too. I actually still need to purchase some of the specialty bicycle tools I may need.

I have all ready started ordering the parts. The drive train will be a complete mech RED22 with a Force1 rear derailleur (1x system for now) and the BB is a wheels manufacturing. I have not chosen any cockpit components yet, or the all important wheel set. I dont want to rush the wheel set, or go for a "deal" just because they are on sale...I really want to get the best I can for my needs and budget in that area (budget is 2k).

Arrival pics and I will weigh the frame and fork tonight.

EDIT: frame is 2017 CX01 size 57

Last edited by Mtek on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mtek

by Mtek

Fork is a beast for weight. Uncut fork and frame with seatpost clamp and 4 bottle holding bolts.

evan326

by evan326

Interested in watching this one

Mtek

by Mtek

A few small items, cages, saddle (spec phenom), factory uncut bmc post, and egg beaters. I know Ill end up changing out the saddle and the peddles, but for now I am going to use what I know and I dont have road shoes yet either. My LBS said the group and brakes should be in by end of week. I may not go custom built wheels like I want, I want to get this built asap.

Btw, the Carbon-ti brake rotors no one has in-stock for 160mm. I was hoping to get those asap.

Renne

by Renne

"My first road bike" and you are building up a BMC Crossmachine hhmm not sure that's a correct title...
Having said that, nice bike. I like the paintjob on this 2017 CX01 more than the black/grey combo on the 2018 models.

Mtek

by Mtek

Renne wrote:"My first road bike" and you are building up a BMC Crossmachine hhmm not sure that's a correct title...
Having said that, nice bike. I like the paintjob on this 2017 CX01 more than the black/grey combo on the 2018 models.

It's probably not the best title, but its far better than "my first non-suspended, drop bar bike" lol. I hope you all know what I intended. I plan to use this for road and gravel, and truth be told I think I'll end up finding out what I really want/need in a few months of use. I guess this is my starting point.

Thx about the color. I hope it looks good when finished. My fav looking bikes on the forum are the matte black everything with skinwalls or titanium bikes with everything else black. I guess I like plain, and there is graphics on my frame...but at least it's subtle.

DOUG

by DOUG

I reckon the BMC colours look great with Tan walls. I considered the BMC for my first Cross bike but couldn't find a frame that suited my budget and in my size, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Mtek

by Mtek

@DOUG Thanks for the support, and keep an eye out for frames if you want one, good deals on '17s right now.

Update:
Drivetrain should arrive tomorrow and I ordered my wheels. FFWD F4, they seemed like the best all around wheel for my budget. I know some of my components are exactly WW yet, but I have to start somewhere and these will be my starters.

Mtek

by Mtek

Group arrived, I wont weigh anything unless asked as the info is out there. The cranks with be changed to the Sram x-sync 42T single front with Force1 derailleur and X1 cassette, rest is sram red mech. Im kinda overwhelmed, but also excited about getting everything installed and dialed. My wheels wont arrive until next week. I probable wont do anything until they get here.

Any recommendations for bars/stem? I am hoping to find a ww stem with a soft square shape in matte to match the tubing of my frame, and I prefer rounder non-aero bars.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That's a killer frame! Nice

Mtek

by Mtek

@dereksmalls - Thank you. One last pic of it as I start the build tomorrow, I have everything I need....except for experience doing it lol. I am going to use my ipad and watch youtube videos on how to do it. Im hoping to gain experience with it and then purchase a true road bike I can do some damage on for fitness reasons. Id love to get a nice high end endurance bike next year and the ability to ride it for 100 miles, my goal anyway.

A full pic of the frame before build and the reason I want to get in better shape...my true love is MX.

Mtek

by Mtek

I finished my bike a few days ago and got it fitted tonight. Sorry for the poor quality pics, Im just happy to have it done and wanted to share. I love the way it looks and rides. I know it may not seem very WW, but it is lighter than purchasing a completed CX01 and I learned a lot and enjoyed the process. Im looking forward to building a nice endurance bike to go with it.

Enve stem, seatpost
Enve 4.5 AR/DT 240s centerlock wheels (not an Enve fanboy, just easier to obtain as I dont know anything about the boutique brands yet)
Alternate wheels are FFWD F4D/DT 240s with Clement LAS
SWorks carbon hover bar
Compass Jon Bon 35mm tubeless
EE headset cap - I requested not to cut off steering tube at stem as I may sell one day and someone may need/want the length.
SRAM RED 22 brakes, crank, levers
SRAM rear cassette
Wheel Manuf bottom bracket
Arundel mandible x2
Praxis chainworks front ring
KMC DLC chain - love the complete blacked-out drive train look.
Fizik Kurve
Lizard Skin 2.5 tape
XTR pedals

Mtek

by Mtek

@KaneChang Thanks. I’ll weigh and pic as soon as I get a hanging scale. I ordered a Parktool model but it arrived without working. Prolly be a week or so. I’ll bet a lot heavier than your Addict.

jever98

by jever98

Great build, whether first or not. Chapeau!

For me the Enves would be a bit high for this kind of build. I'll be going more road disc and am going with Venn TCD35 rims.

What size are the rotors? Look like they could be 140s.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com