After a few "Italian" bikes, I decided to get this NeilPryde BuraSL frameset a few years ago. It was around the same time that my daughter was born, and because of that, it hasn't hit the road a lot. Some parts are simply like new, even if from a previous generation of components (like the eeBrakes and the 9070 DuraAce drivetrain). Since the build took such a long time to complete, I had plenty of time to toy around and put some parts which are quite unique to this build.
I finally got time to return to cycling, so I think it is also a good time to post it here.
So here it is, in its lightweight / tubular configuration @ 6.49kg:
- - Frame / Fork: NeilPryde BuraSL, 2013 model, electronic only, Size L
- Brakes: eeBrakes
- Seatpost: Syntace Carbon P6 HiFlex (27.2mm)
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch Nack
- Stem: Zipp Service Course SL (130mm)
- Handlebar: Zipp SL70 Aero (400mm)
- Crankset: Rotor 3D+, 172.5mm with Power2Max TypeS 110BCD
- Chainrings: Praxis Clover 52/36
- Pedals: Keywin Carbon Ti
- Chain: KMC X11SL
- Front Derailleur: Shimano DA Di2 9070
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano DA Di2 9070
- Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible
- Garmin mount: K-edge (waiting delivery of a Tillquist mount)
- Tubular Wheelset: Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubular rims, laced to Tune Mig 70 / Mag 170 hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. SRAM Red 11-28 cassette. Veloflex Arenberg 25mm tires
- Clincher Wheelset: Pacenti SL23 rims, laced to White Industries T11 hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Sram Force 11-28 cassette. Schwalbe One Tubeless tires
And here it is, ready to ride with lights, saddle bag (with a spare tubular), mini-pump and Garmin Edge:
And now some details that make this a bit unique:
1) Shimano Junction-A
@WheresWaldo designed this 3D printed holder, and I used the holes in the frame that were originally designed for the external battery. I connected left to right shifter, and then a long cable to Junction-B inside the frame. Not as clean as the integrated hole in the new Madone or BMC SLR01, but hey... this is a 2013 frame!
2) Exposure Lights stem mount
Most of my rides are in the dark, and I need a powerful front light. Exposure makes some of the nicest lights out there, and I found this new mount a few weeks ago. I had to replace the Ti bolts on the Zipp stem with the provided SS ones, so I can lose some weight here if I go Ti again. I am just waiting my Tillquist mount to check if I will be able to fit both at the same time. Unfortunately, I suspect I will have to choose between Tillquist or the Exposure mount.
Some additional shots:
Before the flaming starts:
- Yes, I should cut the steerer shorter, and I was planning to do this, but my mechanic convinced me not to. Initially I thought I wouldn't be able to sell this bike easily, so would cut it to a minimum and accept the loss on the frame resale price. But apparently a lot of people saw the bike in the shop and kept asking questions, especially after seeing how light it is. So decided to keep 2cm above the stem to make this a bit easier to sell in the future
- After taking these pictures, I realized the saddle tip is a bit low. I will adjust it
- This was my first tubular glue job, and yes, it looks awful. Hopefully I will improve in the next ones
- The front wheel speed sensor is for riding on TrueTrainer rollers. Of course I ride with the aluminum clinches, but since the speed sensor is there, I simply put the magnet on the tubular wheel as well. It actually helps the Garmin on some of the mountains we have around here (lots of trees)
- The light mount is not centered. When I receive the Tillquist mount, I will adjust it
- Yes, it is not clean... I live (and ride) close to the beach, so keeping it clean is always a challenge
In its current configuration, it weighs 6.5kg... not bad considering the PM, and the electronic drivetrain. Only "exotic" parts are the brakes and the pedals. There are a few places I could go lighter, but I am quite happy with the final weight and how it rides.
Hope you guys like it